A 6.5 Supralite is finally in my hands

Just changed the head to my regular no-collar SS, and I forgot to take an accurate measure! Oh well.

It looks like the stock (Worldmax I suppose) throw is 1 1/4".

The Ludwig P-85/86 spacing is 2 7/16-ish (not sure of the exact measure).

As much as I like the P-86, I'm really not feeling having to drill TWO holes for it.

The RCK has screws that adjust for hole spacing, so, it seems the real viable option without spending a bunch of money, or getting retroplates and all that.
When I get some extra money I might get one of the RCK's, but the teflon tape seemed to work in keeping the stock throw from backing out.

With the SS head I usually use (no collar Remo) the snare is much more lively, and has more ring than with the stock "Ludwig-ish" head, or the Ambassador Hazy.
Didn't like the Hazy Ambassador at all. Too bland sounding for my liking, but other people would appreciate the reduction in shell ring.

The head it came with was a nice middle ground between the amount of ring of the two Remo heads I have had on it (so far). It is a little hazy, but it has the crimped hoop, so that may have something to do with the sound it has.

I may try a Ludwig SS next time.

I tried Ludwig wires and it was too bright sounding for what I want.
Might put on the wires it came with again, but I have some 14 strand Puresond wires on it for now. Sounds cool.

BTW, I tried some Fat Cat Classic 20 wires (WITH Pitch) on my 6.5 COB with tubes, and they seem pretty cool.
Gives the drum a little brighter tone than Puresound Custom Pro 20's.

I went and got myself the 6.5" Supralite. I thought about it for a day or two, then called up the only shop in town that carries them and they told me they had one last drum on the shell, so I just went and snagged it.

And you know, this drum really is all it's cracked up to be. I've been playing on an 80s Acrolite, and while I love how it sounds I just felt I needed something with a little more body and a little more ooomph for the music we play. We did a studio session some time ago where I used my Acro, and while I've always liked the drier sound an Acro has, I had some trouble getting it to cut through in the studio (our band makes a BIG wall of sound)

So after that session I started to think differently about the ring that a snare has - or should have - and started looking into the Supralite a little. Just out of curiosity, I told myself :D

So, I went and bought the SL, and I am simply loving it! It still has the factory installed heads and wires but I don't feel I need to change them anytime soon because the snare just sounds incredible as is!

The feel and sound of this thing are killer. Kinda like the Acro or Supra, but a little different. As stated, it has slightly more ring to it, and this is where it shines for me. Blended in with the band it sounds amazing! This drum is sensitive, but it can also really take a pounding.

I'm keeping the snare tuned a lot lower than I ever could with the Acro, because there's a certain element of fatness that this drum delivers that makes it sound GREAT with a lower tuning.

First ever drum that I've bought new btw. Superb value for the money.
A great, great product from Ludwig. 10 points!

Attachments

• IMG_2673(1).JPG
    IMG_2673(1).JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_2671.JPG
    IMG_2671.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 545
Back