80" Paiste Gong: Other worldly tones

larryace

"Uncle Larry"

I played a 50" Paiste gong at the London Drum Show and it was like a religious experience.

This one is way different.

KEEF

So many sounds other than just smacking it in the middle like the MGM guy ! :LOL: ( which would likely rupture your internal organs anyway)

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
That's probably the one at NAMM in 2018, very loud with a ridiculously long decay. I could feel it moving air from a few booths away. I imagine it's kind of useless in real life, but impressive nonetheless!

Bermuda

Stroker

Platinum Member
I happened across this video back in 2017, and haven't been able to shake it. Lost count as to how many times I've watched this very video.

It's a serious amount of change to lay-out, but like any high-quality instrument, you get what you pay for.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I like how Paiste arbitrarily calls it an 80", when they're not too exact on the dimensions. Some measure 84" or so inches bigger. Once day I will get a 36" or a 40" just to keep in the house for the neighborhood to hear.

Regarding the 2018 NAMM show - I thought it was silly that Paiste brought all these different gongs that were hanging everywhere in their booth, but were telling people not to play them. They didn't have any mallets out, but people would make a fist and lightly bump on all the gongs, but they were like hall monitors telling people not to touch them. What was up with that? Next time - leave the gongs at home.

Stroker

Platinum Member
Let's revisit this conversation same time next year.

I have a sneaking suspicion they'll be some developments and even a picture or two to add to it.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I heard one of these in the early 80’s, it was touring around Australia. A performer played a crescendo on it just before the interval at a percussion ensemble concert. Got almost to jet engine levels. We were able to walk up during the interval and hear it up close as it decayed. It took 15 minutes to die down, and was still rumbling a bit at the end of the concert an hour later.

Stroker

Platinum Member
I heard one of these in the early 80’s, it was touring around Australia. A performer played a crescendo on it just before the interval at a percussion ensemble concert. Got almost to jet engine levels. We were able to walk up during the interval and hear it up close as it decayed. It took 15 minutes to die down, and was still rumbling a bit at the end of the concert an hour later.
Insane! It really is something.

I want one so bad it hurts. :giggle:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I understand that cymbals and gongs produce ALL the frequencies humans can hear. Probably sub and hyper frequencies we can't even detect too.

Stroker

Platinum Member
Though short, this video gives one an introductory taste of the intensive workmanship and raw man-hours that goes into the making of a gong of this magnitude.