22" by 12"

I would think it would be missing attack andpunch i would not not have a kick drum under 16in deep 12 in is just to shallow for me others will have completely different opinions.

It's proportionately even shallower than Bonham's 24" x 14" BD which I tend to think of as big but shallow. So I'd speculate it would have some of the qualities of Bonham's sound but maybe pitched higher. TBH I'm still not totally clear on the effect of depth versus diameter when it comes to bass drums. However I can definitely say a 22 x 12 would fit better in my hatchback than my current 22 x 16...

I've never played a 22 by 12 , I'm thinking the shallower depth would add more punch / attack.. I've played a 26 by 12 but that's a different animal..

It's proportionately even shallower than Bonham's 24" x 14" BD
I hope you meant 14X26.
The only non-26" bass drums Bonham ever played publicly were before Led Zeppelin, when he was a mostly unknown charactor in England and not endorsed. He played a few 22" kits prior to 1968.
Sorry to be so anal, but it's Bonham we're talking about.
I'd rather pray to Bonham than jesus if you catch my drift 😆

Any thoughts on this bass drum size?
Where can you even find that size?
If you can find it, I'd say buy it ASAP!
It would be nice and portable for small cars like mine.
Also, just FYI, there's a few different kits available today with even smaller bass drums that sound good as far as the YT videos are concerned. (DW & Tama plus I'm sure more)
I would love to play in a band that only needed the smallest drum kit to make the money.

I would think it would be missing attack andpunch i would not not have a kick drum under 16in deep 12 in is just to shallow for me others will have completely different opinions.
Quite the opposite! I got rid of anything deeper than 14" deep because they lack the punch and attack. Deeper bass drums go boom because there's too much air to shift to excite the resonant head.
Where can you even find that size?
If you can find it, I'd say buy it ASAP!
It would be nice and portable for small cars like mine.
Also, just FYI, there's a few different kits available today with even smaller bass drums that sound good as far as the YT videos are concerned. (DW & Tama plus I'm sure more)
I would love to play in a band that only needed the smallest drum kit to make the money.

Ludwig did the New Yorker in the 60s which had a 22x12 bass drum. Ginger Baker preferred this size so I've heard.

If it's anything like the 60s 22x14 Ludwig I have you have a gem!

I hope you meant 14X26.
The only non-26" bass drums Bonham ever played publicly were before Led Zeppelin, when he was a mostly unknown charactor in England and not endorsed. He played a few 22" kits prior to 1968.
Sorry to be mega anal.....but he had a Black Diamond Ludwig kit on the first Led Zeppelin tour (my Dad saw him use this kit at Birmingham Town Hall) 24/13/16/18 or x2 16s.

Sorry to be mega anal.....but he had a Black Diamond Ludwig kit on the first Led Zeppelin tour (my Dad saw him use this kit at Birmingham Town Hall) 24/13/16/18 or x2 16s.
But did your dad have a measuring tape on him at the time?
Your anus might be even more retentive than mine :eek:

But did your dad have a measuring tape on him at the time?
Your anus might be even more retentive than mine :eek:
He's a guitarist so he'd have been paying more attention to Mr Page I feel.

The kit got auctioned off a few years back. Here's the offending item!

Attachments

• Bonzo Black Diamond.jpg
    Bonzo Black Diamond.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 19
He's a guitarist so he'd have been paying more attention to Mr Page I feel.

The kit got auctioned off a few years back. Here's the offending item!
looks like a 22" to me but i"m too drunk to argue right now.
Also, pictures can be deceiving based on previous experiences with angles/lighting/etc.

I hope you meant 14X26.
Oops! I got thrown by this 24 inch "Bonham" bass drum that popped up when I googled it:

https://reverb.com/item/13103504-ludwig-24x14-stainless-steel-bonham-bass-drum

Anyway...

A 14X26 drum has a depth to diameter ratio of .54

and a 12X22 has a ratio of .55

So in terms of proportions they're pretty close. (For reference a 16X22 would be .73)

It makes me wonder which would sound more similar: two drums with the same proportions but different sizes so they hold a different volume of air, or two drums with different proportions but the same volume.

EDIT: Okay, I just reread the prior posts and maybe there actually was a 24" Bonham bass drum. Hmmm....

That’s a pretty hip size. Mostly it’s us old geezer gearheads that know about it. I’d only really choose it over a 14x22 if you were looking to save space and you think you play it a lot. Otherwise just go with a 14x22. My opinion only.

Also, most of the old Ludwigs like this are 10 lugs per side, there’s not much of a weight reduction. And those awful early fold out spurs. I’ve seen guys buy cheap stage custom bass drums and have them cut down , that’s a possible solution

I have a 12x22 Slingerland bd from 1958. Mahogany. It has two calf heads and is one of the most wonderful sounding bass drums I own. Punchy and quick. But still with a low end.
I mainly play Jazz,big band and Americana styles. Works great for the latter.

I cut a 22x14 BD in half.
After accounting for the kerf and bearing edge, it ended up at around 22x6.5"
It was all attack and punch.

I have built & played 22” x 12”. Great focus & delivery of a strong fundamental that really cuts through the mix. I currently own a 20” x 12”. Many have heard that drum & been floored by the unexpected low end punch.

Caveat here however, both of the drums I mentioned were construction optimised for those sizes.

On the wider point, the general assumption is that greater drum depth = more low end. That’s not true as a catchall statement. Essentially, deeper = more overtones. shallower = more prominent fundamental. This refers to both the overtones you want from a bass drum (lower frequency), but also those you don’t want.

it's an old-fashioned vibe/concept/look/

it's been around

stanleveymikecreasy.jpg

add portability
pic via drummerworld.com

via youtube

None that you would probably want to see, but here's one anyways:

2 - Copy.jpg

It was one of my first projects after getting back into drumming.
A 22/13/14/16 set that I cut down to use with triggers - long gone.
The toms were real deep when I started - 13x10 and 14x11, if I remember right - maybe deeper.
That set is what made me fall hard for a 20" bass drum with shallower toms.

Last edited:
Back