2 questions regarding e-drums

Treverer

I'm currently in the market for an affordable e-kit to practice in my appartment. I own a big accoustic kit and the e-kit would be really just for practicing when I can't get to my "real" drumset.

1. Am I correct in assuming, that most modules like TD-11 and below (and comparable from Yamaha etc) don't have an Aux-In? I see them on the cheaper Alesis/Fame/Millenium though... That would be a dealbreaker.

2. Are nylon sticks less damaging to a mesh head as a plastic beater on the pedal is less damaging to a mesh head compared to felt?

Last edited:
1. It would be rare to come across a modern drum module that doesn't have an Aux-In jack. They may vary in size (1/4" vs. mini) but by today's standards it would defeat the purpose of an e-kit if there weren't a way to connect it to an external sound source for playing along to recorded music.

2. Be careful of sharp edges on the tips of your sticks, whether they be plastic or wood. When I used to use nylon tips, they would sometimes come with a slight sharp ridge at the seam. With wood sticks, I would avoid using them if the tip splinters.

1. No [1]

2a. No. Like with any kit - acoustic or electronic - check your stick tips before and during play. Then no problems,

2b, The felt beater thing just won't die! ALWAYS use a kick patch on ANY kick drum (acoustic or electric). Then it makes NO difference on what beater you use. Simple.

---

[1]download the manuals of anything you're interested in. They're all free and will answer your questions.

1. It would be rare to come across a modern drum module that doesn't have an Aux-In jack. They may vary in size (1/4" vs. mini) but by today's standards it would defeat the purpose of an e-kit if there weren't a way to connect it to an external sound source for playing along to recorded music.

Even on a TD-11? I can get one used and I found nothing whatsoever about an Aux-In. All the higher end Roland brains and all from Millenium etc. mention it right in the description...

But I'll find the manuals for the older stuff and look it up.

Even on a TD-11? I can get one used and I found nothing whatsoever about an Aux-In. All the higher end Roland brains and all from Millenium etc. mention it right in the description...

But I'll find the manuals for the older stuff and look it up.

All the in the manuals.

TDGnwX.jpg

Back