18 inch bass drum, why bother?

sbowman128675

We got a set of Taye Studio Maple drums at my church with a 18" kick and its got PUNCH. Honestly, its not got alot of power compared to my 22" at home but it punches hard!. Perhaps its because Im behind sound proofing baffels and its miced up, but its got alot more punch than a 22 or even a 20. I guess theres less room for the air to move, so it hits the mic sooner and faster.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
As nice looking and feeling as this rehearsal space is, I have to say that it's not the best sounding room. It's a 3 car garage, but there's enough soft surfaces and stuff lying about to break up echos. It's not an overly reverberant room at all. That could definitely be a factor, the room acoustics. My favorite maple snare and my magic cymbals that give me eargasms just sound ordinary from the throne in this room. I can't explain it, but playing my stuff isn't nearly as satisfying in this particular room as other rooms. Then you add the anemic kick in there and no wonder I'm not satisfied.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I have a 16". Oh well. I've grown to like it. As per the other Larry's comment, a smaller drum is good at low volume - and especially if you're a rock klutz by breeding. It's very mic-friendly too, easy for engineers to control and add some extra punch on the desk.

A

Anthony Amodeo

I have a 16". Oh well. I've grown to like it. As per the other Larry's comment, a smaller drum is good at low volume - and especially if you're a rock klutz by breeding. It's very mic-friendly too, easy for engineers to control and add some extra punch on the desk.
but yr a woman and hit like a girl anyway

;P

wildbill

Platinum Member
...Wildbill, curious, are you using risers? Ported reso?..

I'm using this riser on one of them: http://usa.mapexdrums.com/hardware/accessories/images/large/AC909.jpg
that one also has a solid resonant head. The beater hits square in the middle on that one.
Beater placement makes a big difference.

The other has no riser, and a large port in the front head. I bought it that way, but plan on getting a resonant head with no port, and another one of those risers. The beater hits too high on that one, and the port's too large.

I just sold a Mapex kit with an 18" bass. I used that one with no riser and the head was ported, but it still sounded pretty good.

The two I've currently got are Yamaha.

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I would think that a riser, good heads, good tuning, a center hitting beater, and a non ported reso head all are necessary to extract the full tone from an 18. This is not my drum so I won't be spending any money or time with it. I'm sure I could improve the tone though. I did tune it and remove the laundry that was inside it, but it's not enough.

A

Anthony Amodeo

Really digging your bands sounds! Both the guitar player and yourself sound great!
thank you brother much appreciated

not really my band though....just a cat that hires me to play

the only reason I go out of my way to say that is because the gig is not totally my cup of tea....as they say

but as I stated in an earlier post,,,,,the pay is good

didnt mean to hijack your thread Larry

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
It could be my perception. If it sounds OK out front, that still doesn't help me with how it makes me feel while playing it. I need it to sound good from the throne. I think this is the first time I have ever played an 18" bass drum for any length of time. Perhaps there are other 18's that may cut it for me, but this particular drum sounds anemic to me.

The single, center mounted lugs on all the drums....that kit definitely does not offer a nice rod turning experience...they're really hard to turn, they need lube....there's a 10 mil head on the reso side of the snare. The only drum that I really like is the 14" floor tom, which sounds as good as any 14" floor tom out there IMO. The 12" tom is OK too, it just has pins on it which I don't care for. But it sounds OK. The throne looks nice and is padded, but my tushy doesn't like it at all, I will have to bring one of my spare a Roc n Soc's. The pedal is adjusted funny, so I end up changing all the cymbals, snare, pedal...People think that any set of drums will do. It's not their fault, they don't understand. If, like me, you are used to playing exceptionally good sounding drums all the time, and then you have to play on a dog of a set, it really makes a big difference in the way you feel playing them. I don't like it, it's not my sound.

But on a scale of 1 to 10 this problem doesn't even chart, I am just looking for others opinions on the 18.
Ok, I understand you better and feel is very important. I guess in the final analysis it really is not entirly the size but the quality of the drums. When I played them I found them very flat sounding , not at all like the older 18" Grestch. So if opinions on 18" bass drums is what you are after, as you can tell many people like them.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm secretly in love with Grea...shhhhh

:)
Oh dear, another fine soul is smitten ;)

Sorry, I'm making the hijacks worse Larry :(

18" bass drums can really cannon if they're set up right, & constructed to make the best of their diminutive proportions, but there's no getting away from the fact that their lack of diameter will always equate to a raised pitch compared to bigger drums. Under mic's, through PA, = no issue, as you can give them a dose of sub & you're good to go, but acoustically, it's unfair to expect thunderous gut wrenching loveliness. 16"s & 18"s are unsurpassed at low dynamic articulation, but I'm guessing that's not what you're after.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Often the opposite - yes, but actually I've heard the drummer (sometimes the drummer was
me) be asked to play louder several times!!
I have been asked to play louder at times. It probably stems from the fact that I need to control volume at church, so I tend to be on the lower end of volume levels when I gig with my other band. On the other hand, I have probably been told more often to lessen my volume than to increase it..... ;)

Numberless

Platinum Member
Re: 18 inch bass drum, why bot

I'm happy with my 16". I'm using it to play jazz and I love the dynamic control it goves me.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Ok, I understand you better and feel is very important. I guess in the final analysis it really is not entirly the size but the quality of the drums. When I played them I found them very flat sounding , not at all like the older 18" Grestch. So if opinions on 18" bass drums is what you are after, as you can tell many people like them.
Actually, with the right heads, Catalina drums do sound like other Gretsch drums. Peace and goodwill.

I am a true believer that no matter what the size of the bass drum, 16" - 18" - 20" - 22"; with the right tuning, and right drum heads, you can make any bass drum sound fantastic depending on the kind of music you're playing.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I would think that a riser, good heads, good tuning, a center hitting beater, and a non ported reso head all are necessary to extract the full tone from an 18. This is not my drum so I won't be spending any money or time with it. I'm sure I could improve the tone though. I did tune it and remove the laundry that was inside it, but it's not enough.

I'll bet that if it were your drum, you could get it to the point that it's acceptable, and even to where you like it.
Probably not as much as bigger bass drums though, if that's your thing.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I am a true believer that no matter what the size of the bass drum, 16" - 18" - 20" - 22"; with the right tuning, and right drum heads, you can make any bass drum sound fantastic depending on the kind of music you're playing.
I reckon this is probably true, in that you could get a sound from any of them that would work for anything (taking into account mics and EQ and compression and that sort of thing). What you can't do, though, is make a 16" sound like a 28" or vice versa.

mxo721

sounds like an awsome practice space....I once had a catalina jazz kit, after a month of playing it with the stock riser, I made my own bass drum riser, and got it up off the floor as high as the front spikes would go, it increased the volume by ALOT. I just recently did the same thing with my xpk set. built a bass drum riser out of sheet metal...my xpk's have a 20" B/D. but the sound and volume is noticably improved, I don't think I want anothyer 18 though, 20 seems just right.