16" floor tom depth: 16" or 14"

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I have owned both sizes. I like both sizes so I have no preference.
There is only a slight difference in the sound of the shallower drum.
I would be pressed to hear it if I was blindfolded in an A/B comparison.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Which do you prefer? Does two inches make a sonic difference?
Depends to some extent on how high you have it set up. If set lower, the 14" depth will deliver more bottom end due to floor proximity affect.

alparrott

Platinum Member
It doesn't really make a sonic difference, but it can make a difference in feel. With the 16" depth, you're pushing an extra two inches of air through the drum. The 14" can feel a little snappier than the 16". I own both depths and that's the difference to me.

M

Matt Bo Eder

16. I'm a traditionalist. And I already have a case that fits ;)

pbm2112

Depends to some extent on how high you have it set up. If set lower, the 14" depth will deliver more bottom end due to floor proximity affect.
That's interesting. What's the minimum amount of floor clearance before the sound/feel suffers? Are 14" easier to tune I wonder?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I have floor toms in both depths. It's not a huge dif. If I had to pick, it would be tough. Go with your first gut feeling, that will make you the happiest. It's a tough choice, I like them both equally.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I've used both, and they're essentially the same to me. Because of the large diameter, the 2" difference is nominal. But if it was a 12" tom for example, and comparing the difference between 8" and 10" depth, the 2" would be very noticeable.

bermuda

Lennytoons

I have both also. I tuned the 14" lower than the 16" and both sound great that way. People have looked at the setup and said "Huh?"...Once you hear them though they sound great that way.