Search results

1. Dutch Drummer

Less sustain ... Some advice needed

Hi all, I could use a litte advice from you ... I have coated emperors on top and coated ambassador on the bottom side of the toms of my birch kit. Sound great. But now I am looking for the head combination with less sustain. I don't want my kit sound dead or dull. I just want less sustain (I...
  2. Dutch Drummer

Wich cymbal boom arm fits on a Catalina Club Jazz kick drum

Hi there, I need some help. I have this nice and small Gretsch Catalina Jazz set. It sounds great and is especialy very handy for gigs in smaller venues. Because I want to reduce my footprint on stage even more I am looking for a cymbal boom arm that fits in the mounting system of the kick...
  3. Dutch Drummer

When can you call a drum set or snare drum vintage?

Dear fellow drummers, Since I was patching up an old steel snare (bought it somewhere around 1988) I was wondering if I could call this snare a vintage snare. My gut feeling said 'yes' but thinking about the real age of it (about 37 years) I thought 'no'. But I was not sure wich was the right...
  4. Dutch Drummer

Just curious: wich one would you pick?

Just curious ... if you had to choose wich one of these snares would you pick? And why would you pick it, or why would you not pick it? British Drum Company Raven, 14x6, birch? Sonor SQ1, 14x6.5, birch? Sonor Artist Series, 14x6, maple?
  5. Dutch Drummer

Does anyone have experience with the Raven snare (British Drum Company)

Does anyone have experience with the Raven snare (British Drum Company)? It appears to be the most affordable snare of British Drum Company. It is all birch and it looks nice on the pics. I am very interested, but is it realy a good snare? Till now I was not in the position to try one myself.
  6. Dutch Drummer

Help needed with my Sonor SP 4000 S Single Pedal

Is there anybody here who has experience with the Sonor SP 4000 S Single Pedal? It should be very simpel and versatile for your own privat settings, but I must be very dumb, or there is something wrong with my new pedal. When I attach it on the bass drum hoop it seems if the beater stick is too...
  7. Dutch Drummer

Mapex 14"x5,5" Special Edition Snare

Hi all, I am considering buying a Mapex Black Panther 14×5,5 as a second snare. Any thoughts about this snare? Ofcourse I know I have to follow my own taste and gut feeling. But some thought of other drummers would be appreciated.
  8. Dutch Drummer

What does the abbreviation SQ1mean?

I am the proud and happy owner of a Sonor SQ1 since last week. But I have a question to you all. Does anybody know what the abbreviation SQ1mean? I can not find it on Sonors website. Maybe I'm overlooking something, but I can not find the meaning.
  9. Dutch Drummer

So very happy with my new SQ1

Today was so special. I received my new Sonor SQ1. It sounds so f... good. And it looks also very good. So happy I pulled the trigger after months of trying, investigating and reading reviews. It is a simple kit, bit it sounds so robust and still musical (not sure if this is proper English, but...
  10. Dutch Drummer

So happy with my new kit

After a few months of investgation, reading, watching reviews, try outs in music stores I pulled the trigger. I ordered a Sonor SQ1 (for now 1 up, 1 down, 22, 12, 16, 14×6,5). I keep my old aged Pearl World Series, but I leave it in our practice garage. I doubted between Gretsch Renown and the...
  11. Dutch Drummer

The older the better, or not?

Hi all Somebody told me that drums are like good wine. The older they get the better they sound. Is that a fact, or is it just a fairytale? What do you think?
  12. Dutch Drummer

Looking for advice: Pearl World Series of Gretsch Catalina Maple

Hi all drummers (f/m), After years of not playing I took my old Pearl World Series kit out of my cellar (I am so happy to play in an vintage rock band again). After cleaning and waxing it still looked surprisingly good. Also the sound was good, even with the old skins still on it. But here is...
Back