Search results

1. Neal Pert

Classical Snare Drummers: Noble and Cooley?

Hey, folks, Do any of you classical snare drummers have any opinions about Noble and Cooley steam bent solid shell drums for use in classical/orchestral music? It's not a discussion I've heard much about before (and there's a situation where we may be getting one for the college music...
  2. Neal Pert

Deliberately Adding Patina to a Set of Cymbals

A number of years ago I bought a set of K Constantinople cymbals from a guy-- a big batch of them with two 22s, a 20, 18, set of hats, etc. And the odd thing is that they all had no logos and had a lovely, even patina on all of them. I asked the guy what he'd done to achieve that and he told...
  3. Neal Pert

Would a Roland SPD-SX or SX Pro Be Good for Me?

I have somehow made it to 2023 without really having any electronic drums. Well, OK, to be accurate, I DID have an early Simmons SDS 1 in the mid-80s. But the more I do remote recordings and the weirder my gig schedule gets, I've thought of getting something. So, here's what I need: 1...
  4. Neal Pert

Recommendations for a vintage RB Gretsch Rehab

I bought this Gretsch kit a few months ago that's fantastic sonically. But some part of me wants to get it refurbished to make it look all nice- maybe a rewrap (note: the current wrap is old but not original) or paint job or whatever plus getting the whole kit up to spec. Do you from personal...
  5. Neal Pert

Hot Take on Black Friday Drum Shop Sales

First Email: BLACK FRIDAY IS COMING!!!! OUR BIGGEST SALE OF THE YEAR!!!!! Second Email: BLACK FRIDAY IS HERE!!! CHECK OUT OUR INCREDIBLE 4% DISCOUNT ON THE STUFF WE HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO SELL ALL YEAR! ALL REMO 11" DRUM HEADS 2% OFF! DISCONTINUED MAPEX CYMBAL FELTS BUY 60 GET ONE FREE...
  6. Neal Pert

Craviotto Drum Kits

Let's talk about them. Have you owned one? What do you think? What sizes and material were/are your drums? I think it's worthless to talk about whether they're "worth the money," as that's super-subjective and a topic that can never be resolved. I just want to know what your experience has...
  7. Neal Pert

Where to get vintage Gretsch parts? Specifically badges.

I'm in need of a tom badge and a bass drum badge with grommet. But I'm also thinking of getting a few smaller parts. Can y'all recommend anyone who stocks this sort of thing? It seems like some of the shops that used to carry stuff like this are now closed.
  8. Neal Pert

What's the Conga Equivalent of a Stage Custom?

I've landed a new gig that requires me to play a bit of conga. So, for the first time in my life, I need to buy one. I just want to have one drum and don't want to spend a ton of money on it. Still, I want a drum that sounds really good and will hold up. It'll be part of a hybrid set of hand...
  9. Neal Pert

What Sizes Should Be in a "Shell Bank" and Why?

I see this idea kicking around a lot-- guys will get a shell bank with a bunch of different sizes- a couple bass drums, a few toms, maybe a couple depths of snare drums. I've definitely bought into the idea with my Yamaha AHM kit. And while I have used all the drums in that shell bank...
  10. Neal Pert

How Would You Equip a College Recording Studio?

You've been invited to propose a single complete drum kit for a new recording studio that the local college is building. There's no prior gear there. The kit will mostly be used for students to learn engineering on and for student and other ensembles to make recordings. What would you...
  11. Neal Pert

The Best Stick Bag?

OK, what's the best stick bag and why? Photos and explanations, please. Nerd out as fully as you'd like.
  12. Neal Pert

Phil Rudd's Incredible Cymbal Set Up

Just ponder having seven crash cymbals-- three identical 20s and four identical 19s-- and nothing else.
  13. Neal Pert

Your Most Cockamamie Drum Gear Idea

I've had more than my share of bad gear ideas- things I've thought of buying, mods I've considered making, etc. You've probably had them as well. My latest cockamamie idea is this: Wouldn't it be cool to take my perfectly fine, great-sounding Yamaha Manu Katche Hip Gig Jr and get some...
  14. Neal Pert

Getting Back to Teaching Drum Set: Tips for College Level?

Back before I got my current job as a college chaplain I was a very busy freelancer (150-200 gigs/year) and drum teacher (15-20 weekly students). It's been a while since I had a teaching studio, but I've just been asked to join the adjunct instrumental faculty at the college where I now serve...
  15. Neal Pert

Pre-Sale Hot Rodding on New Drums

This Stage Custom Nesting Kit from the people at Good Hands Drum Shop in New York got me thinking about possibilities for shops to hot rod drum kits before selling them, and whether that would be something people would appreciate. Like, what if you could buy a Stage Custom bop kit with all...
  16. Neal Pert

Building a logo-free Paiste set. Maybe.

The other day I found an old Paiste 2002 22" ride where the logos were completely gone and there was a pretty heavy patina. The price was OK and I'd been wanting to try one of that model so I bought it. And you know? The cymbal sounds great. It's a classic sound that is different from any of...
  17. Neal Pert

BIG NEWS: Pearl FINALLY Makes an L-Arm Tom Holder

https://pearldrum.com/products/hardware/tom-holders/thl1030 Pearl guys-- what are your thoughts?
  18. Neal Pert

A Drum Tour of the US

My wife and I are on leave and will embark next month on a trip around the US. Our tour will not be focused on drums, of course, but it got me thinking-- if one DID do a tour of the US focused on drums and drumming, what would it include? So, let's just set a few rules: 1. The thing has to...
  19. Neal Pert

Proline Snare Racks and Snare Buzz

I've got one of those Proline Snare Drum racks. While I love the ease of grabbing different snares when I'm doing a project, I hate the fact that the snares inevitably buzz even if the strainers are disengaged. Right now I'm using strips of drumhead boxes underneath the wires to minimize the...
  20. Neal Pert

Refinishing a Tom into a Burst Finish?

I'm looking for feedback from people who've tried something like this and either succeeded or failed. I have this lovely Yamaha Recording Custom drum kit in the somewhat rare Antique Sunburst finish. The drums are 14x22bd, 14x20bd, 14x14ft, 9x13tt, 8x12tt. I would love to add a 16"...
Back