Search results

1. O

Maple vs. Hickory Sticks on Ride-Cymbal

Well known for most of us, but always stunning how much of a difference in sound the stick model has on a ride cymbal. This video compares a light 7a Maple model against a 5a-type Hickory stick:
  2. O

Paiste Formula 602 Modern Essentials 16-18-20 Crashes

Just completed my ME crash set with the 20" model. The 20" matches the smaller ones perfectly and it matches very good with the 18" Dark Energy Crash - see video!
  3. O

Bassdrum Microphone Shootout - Shure, Beyerdynamic, EV, Behringer

The last days I tested some bassdrum microphones - in total five dynamic kick mics (Beta 52a, TG-D70, RE320, M88TG, M201TG) and three boundary type mics (Beta 91a, TG-D71, BA19a). The interesting part was to test the dynamic mics in 5 different positions and solo or combined with one of the...
  4. O

Ride Comparison Paiste Twenty Masters / Dark Energy / Zildjian K Light

As a side product of testing a cymbal I was able to compile this comparison of three quite different cymbals:
  5. O

Mixed Cymbal Setup (5 Lines, 3 Brands)

I know this topic is always good for a good discussion - do you stick with one brand and one line when choosing your cymbals? While preparing a recording session some time ago I realized that the setup of the day was a mix of 3 brands and each of the 5 cymbals came from a different line. Im...
  6. O

DW Coated snare head thicker than Ambassador?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I didn’t find it... Yesterday I was searching something I’m my used heads archive and came along a DW coated snare head which was the stock head on my DW Collectors snare and a coated Ambassador (Remo USA). Not only the DW head was almost double the...
Back