Search results

1. Swexx

Bought a Recording Custom!

I got a Recording Custom! It's in cherry red and looks like it's been well taken care of. I did some research on the serial numbers and I understood the drums are probably not bought at the same time; the small toms are built in 1981, the floor tom 1987, and the bass drum 1980. As you see in the...
  2. Swexx

Hairline crack on a Meinl Byzance hammered crash

Hi guys! Yesterday I found a small (<1cm) crack by the hole of my 20" Meinl Byzance Extra thin hammered crash. It's only a month old, has no other signs of wear and has certainly not been badly treated. I talked to the retailer and they say Meinl probably won't replace it since they usually...
  3. Swexx

Buying a Paiste Stambul vintage hi hat

Hey guys! It's been a while! I'm in the search for a new hi hat and there's a guy here in Sweden who has a lot of used, modern and vintage, cymbals. He has a hihat I'm very interested in - it's a Paiste Stambul, 14", pre-1965. It's really thin - 698/714g top/bottom. Is the Paiste Stambul a...
  4. Swexx

Die-cast or not die-cast hoop? Snare advice.

Hello there! I'm about to buy a new snare and I'm looking for one to get a really deep, punchy sound. I have a 14x6.5 Sonor Essential Force snare now but it isn't good enough for me. I'm leaning a bit towards the Tama Sound Lab snares. I'm looking at this one...
  5. Swexx

Cracked Istanbul Traditional Crash - warranty?

Hey all, it's been a while! A few days ago I started hearing a crack in my 18" Istanbul Traditional thin crash. It was not visible but it sizzled a lot when I hit it. Today I searched the cymbal with a flashlight and found a crack as shown in the pictures. It seems like a manufacturing failure...
  6. Swexx

POLL: During what decade was the best music produced?

During what decade was the music you enjoy the most produced? I have to say I like 70's music best. Yes, Neil Young, Springsteen, Zeppelin, Dylan... what do you think? What decade produced the music you like the most? If an admin could make this thread into a real poll with voting and stuff...
  7. Swexx

Favorite 18" crashes.....

My favorite 18" crash is my Paiste 2oo2 Crash. Very bright and clean and it blends perfectly with my 17" 2oo2 crash. I bought the 18" new almost a year ago, and I've really gotten to know this cymbal over hundreds of gigs, practices and recording sessions. Always sounds great, no matter the...
  8. Swexx

Arvid's first drum cover - Changes (Yes)

Hello friends. Today I recorded my very first serious drum cover. I covered the song Changes by Yes (1983). I got a surprisingly fitting sound from one overhead mic positioned behind me and one mic hanging down in front of the bass drum, pointing down. As some of you might remember I use a...
  9. Swexx

A bulge in a crash's bell

Hey guys! I've dealt with this esthetic issue on my Paiste 2oo2 17" crash for almost a year now. I have no idea how the dent got there in the first place as I'm very careful with my cymbals, don't smash them and always use felts. Anyways, how would you go on fixing this damage? Should I smash...
  10. Swexx

DW Meme Thread

You want a correctly used meme? Here's a correctly used meme I made for ya.
  11. Swexx

DW Meme Thread

This is my contribution...
  12. Swexx

My Gretsch mahogany kit with Tama birch snare

POV pic of my kit's current state. Fiberskyn Ambassador on snare, coated Amb over clear Amb on toms.
  13. Swexx

Really small gigs - setups

I used this setup for a really soft jazz/lounge/after work kind of gig I had a couple of months ago. My buddy's Pearl Export bass drum (I think it's 20x16), my Tama Superstar 14x5.5 birch snare, my 21" Sweet Ride and my old Sabian XS20 hi hats. It worked quite well and the drums sounded nice...
  14. Swexx

Some new Paiste 2oo2 Sound Edges!

Hey guys! I went out shopping this morning and came home with a pair of 14" Paiste 2oo2 Sound Edge hihats. I traded my old Zildjian A Custom crash for them (plus I had to pay some extra cash, of course). MAN, do I love these hats. I believe they are the best pair of hats I have ever played...
  15. Swexx

Congratulations to president Obama and the american people

Read the news today that Obama won the election in the United States. Just like most of the world, I'm a big supporter of Obama and I'm happy the American people is giving him four more years. To the Americans out there: how do you feel? Are you satisfied with Obama? Are you glad he's getting...
  16. Swexx

Home studio FINALLY finished!

Hey guys! Just wanted to share a quick picture of my fresh home studio / musician's pit in my basement. My Catalinas are in there, of course, along with a few guitar amps, a bass amp and some really cozy lamps. I'm moving my saggy couch in there tomorrow. I don't think I'll ever see the sun...
  17. Swexx

Vic Firth durability issues?

Good afternoon guys. You might have heard me praising Vic Firth's durability in some threads. I've been using VF ever since I got into drumming (10 years ago) and I haven't had any issues with sticks splitting or cracking prematurely. However, I've had problems with almost half of my pairs the...
  18. Swexx

What heads do these drummers use?

Hi! I'm hoping all you want to share your wisdom on this topic. I want to know what drumheads the following drummers are using (snare and toms): Vinnie Colaiuta? Omar Hakim? Max Weinberg? Taylor Hawkins? Benny Greb? Bill Bruford? (when he was in Yes) _____ If you know what heads any of...
  19. Swexx

Trad Grip Group!

It looks cool. I tend to use traditional when I play soft jazz. It adds some extra sensitivity to my snare playing. I can only dream of playing traditional in a rock setting, though. I can't whip my left hand fast or hard enough.... lol
  20. Swexx

I bent my wooden snare - what the actual hell?!

I got kind of a chock today when I changed the heads on my Gretsch mahogany snare. In some weird way, I've successfully warped the hoop by tuning my snare bed lugs a little tighter than the others. This is weird, since I am a good tuner, and those four lugs were just a little higher in pitch...
Back