Search results

1. M

Why don't more matched grip drummers play open grip?

Matched grip is easier to use than traditional grip (disclaimer: I play traditional, but I started matched) and it's easier in general to move around the kit with it. So, what's the deal? Why don't more matched grip drummers play open-handed? Why stick to the traditional crossed-hand approach...
  2. M

Why are drummers/musicians/music-listeners so defensive online?

So, whenever I watch a video on Youtube of a renowned drummer, one of the top comments is always a snobbish, defensive rant about how people who downvoted or commented that they don't like the drummer are childish baffoons who don't understand what real drumming is. I've also seen this echoed on...
  3. M

Evoking Emotions through Drums

Not too long ago, there was a thread about whether or not drums can convey the same broad emotional palette that other instruments can, such as piano, flute, and guitar. The general consensus was that drums' expressive range is limited to a few emotions and that it pales in comparison to the...
  4. M

If different drumming/music forums were people, who would they be?

To get this started... In my mind: DW = Older uncle who is down to earth, easy to get along with, and welcoming, but who also has a lot of life experience under his belt and always has some sage advice about drumming or music or life. He also always wears a casual tan suit with no tie and a...
  5. M

Do guitarists generally dislike rests on drums?

So, I'm in two bands. One is a mix of funk and punk (akin to RHCP), while the other is more along the lines of Radiohead/post rock/psychadelic rock/Zero 7. I have noticed something about the lead guitarists of both bands: they dislike it when I briefly rest in order to 1) give the song some...
  6. M

Bandmate wants us to pay rent to practice at his home studio. Thoughts?

I just joined a band a few weeks ago, and we have band practice at one of our bandmates' home studio. He just told us tonight that he'd like for us to pay monthly rent to continue to use his home studio. When I asked him what his reasons were, he said that it's the same as if we rented a...
  7. M

If you could educate the public about one thing concerning drumming/percussion, what would it be?

Could be something you wish more people knew about or even clearing up a common misconception.
  8. M

Real-life examples of rudiments applied to drumset?

Apart from paradiddle-type rudiments, doubles, and singles, are there any real-life examples of rudiments applied to drumset that any of you can suggest? I know there are books, DVDs, and Youtube videos dedicated to this topic (I think Drumeo has a few videos that cover it), but those all seem...
  9. M

What are some of your favorite non-Western groups and/or songs?

Baaba Maal - Allah Adu Jam (Senegal) Taraf de Haïdouks - Turceasca (Romania) Boyoyo Boys - Son Op (South Africa) Tinariwen - Matadjem Yinmixan (Mali) Yendisare Aimando (Biak Island, West Papua) Anything with the sarod as the main instrument (India)
  10. M

What are your thoughts on modern rudimental drumming (e.g. DCI)?

Old school rudimental snare is often taught to drumkit students to improve their chops, vocabulary, and rudimental awareness. It also has a place in the jazz tradition. But I don't see much talk about modern rudimental drumming by kit drummers or hear much application of it on the kit. (Roger...
  11. M

Why do threads start from the bottom?

Great! Thank you so much!
  12. M

Why do threads start from the bottom?

The earliest posts start at the bottom of the page and go up. Also, if a thread has more than one page, the bottom of the last page has the OP. What's up with this? Is it possible to change this in my account settings? Thanks!
  13. M

What are your thoughts on Adam Neely?

Just curious. I think the dude's great.
  14. M

At which point do polyrhythms stop sounding cool and start sounding academic?

I feel like there's a window of coolness for polyrhythms, outside of which they just sound like math and not music. Of course, it's a bit flexible, depending on voicing, tempo, type (4:3, 5:4, etc). I've listened to drummers and bands playing multiple polyrhythms or weird polyrhythms, such as...
  15. M

What are some of the coolest beats tha you've ever heard?

Could be beats that got you into drumming in the first place or that have inspired you since. Here are a few of mine: - The signature "Danny Carey" beats (e g. Eulogy, Lateralus) - J Dilla: Get Down (https://youtu.be/kL2ZXs-1cUg) - Chip Webster: Mr. Adamson's Monkey...
  16. M

Anybody else find practicing moeller relaxing?

After practicing groups of three or four and focusing on relaxing for awhile, I start to zone out and get into a sort of meditative calm. I used to also feel this way after playing polyrhythms for awhile. Anybody get into this kinda state of mind while practicing or playing?
  17. M

What's the deal with Nicko McBrain's name?

I've always wondered why he has such a weird name. (I'm assuming it's his stage name).
  18. M

Instructing new students: Speak/play first or read first?

This is a long post, sorry. Some background info to contextualize my question: So, I live in Hong Kong, which, like other parts of East Asia, has a really exam-oriented culture of education. This also applies to music, and I've been asked on numerous occasions if I'm "grade 8" (I'm from the...
  19. M

Why are some musicians so difficult to talk to?

Let me make a disclaimer: For most of my life, I've been shy, and only in my late 20s and early 30s have I come out of my shell quite a lot. So, making conversation with strangers has always been a bit difficult. Anyway, something that I've often wondered is: why are some musicians so difficult...
  20. M

Groovy timing/independence exercise

Hey, all. Just thought I'd share an excellently groovy (advanced) timing and independence exercise by the name of Flash Gordon Henderson that I have loved for years. It is written by Murray Gusseck of DCI fame. Although the exercise is for a modern drumline (snares, tenors, basses), it can...
Back