Search results

1. OldReliable

Blackrolite Tuning Woes

Hi Drummerworld, I’ve got a Blackrolite on my set right now, and I really like the sound it can make. But, I’m having trouble with snare sensitivity, or more the lack of it. It’s got Stock Wires, stock Ludwig reso, and an Evans G1 on top. It sounds fine loud, but close to the...
  2. OldReliable

Ludwig 2018 Wrap Changes

Hey guys, I was looking at the newly updated Ludwig Custom Order Guide, and a few wraps seem to be disappearing. According to the guide, they’ve only got limited supply left, so get them while you still can! There’s a few new wraps aswell, which I’ll list. Here’s the link to the guide...
  3. OldReliable

Hey Pachuco drums

Hey guys, Royal Crown Revue’s “Hey Pachuco” popped up in my Spotify playlist, and I really like the drum sound. Does anyone know the drums Daniel Glass was using when that was recorded?
  4. OldReliable

Finally created a website for my drumming

Thanks, TK421! Funny enough, I just played a 19” A Avedis at a drum shop and I really liked it. Originally I was looking for something like a Kerope, but in person the 18” Kerope didn’t seem to have enough cut compared to the Avedis. The Avedis seems to have a nice blend of...
  5. OldReliable

Weird Tuning Issue

Hey guys, I had my drums tuned pretty tight for Jazz stuff, but I decided to retune them from scratch to get them tuned a good bit lower. The floor tom tuned pretty straightforward, but the rack tom was a bit harder. After giving the drum a 1/4 turn past finger tight, it seems that there’s 2...
  6. OldReliable

Quick Drum Survey

Hi guys, In my high school’s math class, we’re currently doing a unit on surveys. Each of us has to do a survey as a graded project. Naturally, I though I’d do one on drums. The survey is mainly about gear and gear preferences. We have a limit of 10 questions, so it doesn’t have a question for...
  7. OldReliable

Wuhan into a sizzle

Hey guys, I was browsing Steve Weiss’s site when I stumbled apon some of their house brand Weiss chinas. They seem to be from the same factory as Wuhan, but it’s only $89.95 for a 20”. I’ve always wanted a swish knocker as another sound for the jazz stuff I do, so I had...
  8. OldReliable

Jabo Starks RIP

So it is true. Rest In Peace Jabo. I absolutely love his playing on one of my favorite James Brown tracks, The Payback. His groove is so tight without ever getting too busy.
  9. OldReliable

Jabo Starks RIP

Was on the r/drums subreddit today, and someone posted a photo that said RIP Jabo. I was surprised, so I checked Wikipedia and it says he died today. Oddly, I can’t find any other info. I really hope this is a hoax! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_%22Jabo%22_Starks
  10. OldReliable

I finally got my Ludwig Club Dates back!

So as many of you may know, my first Ludwig experience didn't go great. I was having a heck of a time tuning the 14" floor tom, and the all drums were sort of "off" sounding. I also noticed that the head gap on the floor tom was WAY bigger on one side over the other. I decided to break out the...
  11. OldReliable

Finally created a website for my drumming

Looks Fantastic, Ed! Those Gretsch’s are beautiful. Very professional, and good photography aswell. On an unrelated note, how do you like your Avedis 22”? I’m looking for an 18” or a 20” crash/ride to go with my 22” K Light Ride, and the Avedis look like a nice option. OldReliable
  12. OldReliable

Best high quality affordable hardware pack

Hey guys, My high school is doing a percussion ensemble piece that requires 2 sets, so I’ll have to bring mine to school. Since having 1 set of hardware between 2 sets in different locations is a pain in the rear, I’d preferably have 2 sets of hardware. What’s the best affordable hardware pack...
  13. OldReliable

Is EQ4 equal to or better than PS3?

Hey DRUMMERWORLD, I’m having a debacle, as usual. I’ve currently got Remo’s on my set and I’m loving the Coated PS3 on the kick. It’s a great sounding head, and it’s probably my favorite bass head I’ve played so far! But, I feel Remo’s quality control is lacking lately. I’ve worn the centers of...
  14. OldReliable

Just Got Tama Classic Pedal!

I was up at my favorite drum shop (Dale’s), and I took a look at the new Tama Classic Pedal. I really dug the design and feel, so for only 99 bucks I jumped on it and got one. I’ll set it up tomorrow and let you guys know what I think of it! OldReliable
  15. OldReliable

Tight snare tuning

Hey guys, I’ve been using my 90’s Ludwig Blackrolite as my main snare, and I’m absolutely loving it! I dig a lot of crack and pop out of my snares, so I tune it up pretty high. However, when the pitch of the drum gets pretty high, the lugs sometimes make a creaking sound. I...
  16. OldReliable

Drums are out of round!

Hey guys, If you remember, I started a thread about my new Ludwig Club Dates a while back. I’ve been loving the sound so far... when I can keep them in tune! The drums, especially the floor tom constantly detunes, so tuning to intervals with a tunebot is impossible. I also noticed a gap...
  17. OldReliable

Should I go to NAMM next year?

Hi DRUMMERWORLD, I’ve always loved watching the NAMM videos on YouTube, and getting to see all that new gear! This year though, I feel like I really have the urge to actually go and experience it firsthand. I’m currently in High school, so I’d fall under the student category of admission. Do...
  18. OldReliable

NEW Silver Dots!

Over on the Ludwig Neusonic thread, Bermuda shared that there will be new Ludwig Silver Dots, and they will be manufactured by Remo exclusively under the Ludwig name. I attached a screenshot from a Neusonic teaser video that shows them for a few seconds. I'll definitely be picking a set of...
  19. OldReliable

Who makes Gretsch’s Aqua Satin Flame Wrap?

I’ve been thinking about rewrapping a set of Tama Silverstars that were originally in Indigo Sparkle. Younger me placed them by a window, and now half he kit is bleached out to a gross weird blue gray! I was looking for a more vintage looking wrap, when I stumbled apon Gretsch’s Aqua Satin Flame...
  20. OldReliable

Mark Guiliana or Marcus Gilmore?

In my opinion, yes. They both have an interesting jazz approach to what they do, and they’re both great drummers. And, Guiliana played on Bowie’s Blackstar, which gives him some “Street cred” in my book.
Back