Search results

1. mrfingers

What if…rock guitars were replaced?

What if you could cover famous, heavy rock guitars with horns and pianos/organs? And I don’t mean “elevator” pop music. Would it be better or impossible, would it be labeled jazz😁?
  2. mrfingers

Hats-snare “swipe” anyone?

Today I accidentally discovered the HH to snare swipe/ ruff move. I don’t know what else to call this motion where you swipe your left stick across the hats to the snare, ending with a ruff. My HH are about 6” higher than my snare, hitting the hats with the left stick’s shoulder and down to the...
  3. mrfingers

Self-taught technique questions for instructors

What are the biggest or most common technique “problems” you’ve had to correct when teaching self-taught rock drummers? Does age make a difference, etc..?
  4. mrfingers

Muscle memory and brain cross-talk learning

So I come from trad grip playing and “gave it up” a couple of years ago to learn matched due to the carpal tunnel pain I developed while learning flams. I know it seemed strange at the time but the more I learned matched the better my left hand felt until finally the carpal tunnel pain went...
  5. mrfingers

A song for our times

Procol Harum nails today’s topic in 1977:
  6. mrfingers

Cowbell crazy mount

I couldn’t help myself- I wanted the cowbell sound but didn’t want to go the route of a separate pedal with low mount. So I came up with this idea using the hi hat stand which also allows sticking while playing:you could replace the cowbell with any other percussion accessories.
  7. mrfingers

Modified Sonor tom mount cymbal holder

Since playing one-up-one down and a X-hat I had space for one more cymbal but Sonor’s version of a holder on the tom mount ($59) just didn’t seem to be a good “fit.” So, I made my own version with a cut down, 3/4” D sweeper handle and a clamp. Check it out. It’s exactly what I need.
  8. mrfingers

Rock audition this Sunday afternoon!

After Covid fears fired me from my stint of 10 yrs with one band, my other band fell apart due to illnesses(not Covid), and 2 other jams ended due to political differences I’m finally getting another chance to rock out, although missing the big hair band doo. Here’s the audition set list:
  9. mrfingers

Tama Speed Cobra 310 strap conversion

I’ve wondered why some pedals are strap drives, so decided my Tama pedal would be the experiment. Simple enough to remove the double chain and order a Gibraltar strap to fit. Width was perfect but another hole needed to be drilled thru the Kevlar. After it was reassembled I played for a hour or...
  10. mrfingers

Fired for COVID/ Age

So my band decided that since I am the oldest, most COVID susceptible band member I had to go...also they were planning on playing more high tempo songs(ex.: Sex Type Thing) and didn’t think 3 sets of those would be possible with my age(72.5). We used to play southern rock...no big deal for me...
  11. mrfingers

Another (not so great) 4th of July gig

We were to be the opening band followed by two paid bands at an outdoor b-day/ BBQ neighborhood, central PA party. Temps topped 90 degrees by noon when we were to show for sound check. Drums were to be provided as well as cymbal stands and throne...on a flatbed trailer. Hah! I brought a cymbal...
  12. mrfingers

Bop kits

What’s up with the sudden “explosion“ of bop and safari drum kits? And who uses the them? Do we really want/need them?
  13. mrfingers

Here goes nothing!

My band is assembling tonite to audition a vocalist, here in South Central Pa...I hope odds of safety are in our favor. We have a large practice space. Nobody works in a nursing home, hospital or meat packing plant. I’ll try playing masked!?
  14. mrfingers

DHW drums?

Friend of mine bought a set of used, birch Ludwigs-2 up , 1 down: and found the same-looking kit from DHW on YouTube but UK posting. Anybody know about this “clone” or copy or does Ludwig have a branch in Europe?
  15. mrfingers

Purdie shuffle for non-shuffle songs?

Just played Manic Depression and added a Purdie shuffle segment through the song, alternating with another standard rhythm M Mitchell used. Anybody else try this or something similar?
  16. mrfingers

Who makes the lightest yet stable throne?

I’m asking because it’s occurred to me that my throne seems to weigh more than my 2 cymbal stands put together! Are there light, portable, foldable, drummer-friendly on the market?
  17. mrfingers

Does Europe have more festivals?

Just curious, having watched so many rock festivals on YouTube, it seems the U.K. and EU have more festival venues than here in the States. Or is it that it just depends on your location in the States and they’re more widespread?
  18. mrfingers

What’s up with Regal Tip?

I use Regal Tip 5A nylon tips but lately every site I’ve tied to order from has a back order date from October to November for almost every one of the nylon tipped sticks, including 5A’s. Is there a problem with the company? I’ve never had this happen before with Regal Tips.
  19. mrfingers

does this fill approach have a name?

I use this type of fill pattern occasionally in rock songs, I think, to build some sort of tension for the listener(plz. excuse the notation-not great at it): What would you call this type of thing, is there a drum term for this? I've mixed it with all kinds of rolls and diddles with the last...
Back