Search results

1. SharkSandwich

"Stumpy" Pepys: Spinal Tap Sequel Drummers Named (Both Are Quite Famous)

I was lucky enough too see Spinal Tap live at a small club in San Francisco back in 1984. This was not long after the film was released. I believe the drummer playing with them was Prairie Prince from the Tubes. He was fantastic....and he survived the show!
  2. SharkSandwich

Ok... Who has Met Celebrities in the course of their Lives? Post your Experiences!

Being from the SF Bay Area, we ran into Lars Ulrich on two different occasions, once at an REM concert, and again at a Radiohead concert. The first time we chatted briefly and the second time we got an autograph. In the mid 90s I was with a group of people on Highway 1 in Malibu. We pull over...
  3. SharkSandwich

Band struggles

Move on...things likely won't change.
  4. SharkSandwich

Jay Weinberg joins Suicidal Tendencies

I'm glad to see him back at it. He's a great drummer.
  5. SharkSandwich

I don’t understand you bag people.

Whatever works for your situation. I used hard cases for years but I've been happy with my Protection Racket, soft cases for local gigs. I've been gigging with them now for 14 years without issues. I find that soft cases are easier to get in and out of my small vehicle and generally easier to...
  6. SharkSandwich

Lars Ulrich

With a Tama Bell Brass snare :)
  7. SharkSandwich

An honest take on Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears for Fears

Our band is leaning it now. I've really enjoyed working it up, it's such a tasteful drum part.
  8. SharkSandwich

If chops matter then, why are Ringo and Lars

Because songs matter more than chops.
  9. SharkSandwich

Drums in your Monitor? Yay or Nay?

I my IEMs I have drums, bass, vocals and click.
  10. SharkSandwich

Arriving home from a late gig: What's happens at your place?

My wife and kids are usually sound asleep. I pull into the garage and close the door, too tired to unload. I usually have a lite meal like cereal. Jump into the hot tub for a bit. Off to bed.
  11. SharkSandwich

Your biggest mistakes as a beginner drummer

I focused way too much on chops and not enough on feel. Also, I played everything too fast.
  12. SharkSandwich

In your opinion, when did vintage drums become "cool"?

Dave Grohl played a vintage kit on MTV Unplugged with Nirvana. That certainly got my attention.
  13. SharkSandwich

Songs with misleading time signature intros (or "Where's the 1?")

In an interview, Phil said that the rest of the band sometimes had a really hard time finding the one. To him it was obvious because he wrote the song.
  14. SharkSandwich

How much backup gear do you take to a gig?

Just sticks and a pedal. I have a Leatherman tool, and gaffer's tape for anything else.
  15. SharkSandwich

Paiste Giant Beat guys!

I've been playing my 15" GBs for almost 15 years! Love 'em!
  16. SharkSandwich

Live Backing Tracks. Is it cheating?

We use them in our cover band, but they're strictly instruments that are not represented on stage, such as keyboards strings, and percussion. No vocals, bass, guitar or drums. The result is that we're doing the heavy lifting on stage and the tracks are supplemental. There are also a number of...
  17. SharkSandwich

Yamaha Crosstown durability

It's funny that you posted this because I just noticed something similar with my Crosstown snare stand not long ago. I thought I was imagining it. I've been gigging with this hardware for about a year and a half with no issues. Wile there appears to be a slight tilt to the stand, it hasn't...
  18. SharkSandwich

My hi hat wing nut went flying!

Good tip. I think I'll get a spare as well.
  19. SharkSandwich

My hi hat wing nut went flying!

Well, last night was a first. A few songs into our second set, I smacked the wingnut on my high hat clutch and it went flying. After finishing the song, I frantically searched for it but of course I was unable to find it. As a result I had to play the rest of the set, about 20 songs, with no...
Back