Search results

1. Supernoodle

Miles Davis with Philly Joe Jones

Re-reading Miles' excellent autobiography he mentions going from Philly Joe Jones to Jimmy Cobb, saying that Cobb brought a different feel (which I really like), but he misses Joe's "rimshot lick". It's great fun tracing these iconic recordings as you read the book, but I'm not sure which lick...
  2. Supernoodle

Best year of album releases?

For me it is 1979, when all these came out: The Who - Quadrophenia Frank Zappa - Sheik Yerbouti Rickie Lee Jones - Debut album Joe Jackson - Look Sharp Supertramp - Breakfast in America Pink Floyd - The wall JJ Cale - 5 Michael Jackson - Off the wall ZZ Top - Deguello Christopher Cross...
  3. Supernoodle

Amazing, Mats/Morgan

Great music, gotta love keys/synth and drums... where are keyboard players to jam with, they just don't exist!
  4. Supernoodle

Jazz tom tuning

Is there any YT tutorials out there on how to get a warm rounded jazzy tom tom sound? Just like the first tom in this: (Rick doesn't seem to have a video on how he tuned that tom) Is it just the tuning or the drum construction? What is the relation between top and bottom head?
  5. Supernoodle

Buddy Rich Newport 1965?

Reading Mel Torme's "Traps" biography, page 120, he says Newport 1965 was what Buddy thought was his best night ever. Can't find footage of it. There is audio of Monterey that year (incomplete). Anyone found some Newport Jazz Festival? They do Shiny Stockings (first song), and it ends (43:25)...
  6. Supernoodle

Kenwood Dennard

He is one funky individual... I saw Pat Martino do this in 2012, but his drummer gave it a more jazzy feel. any other favs?
  7. Supernoodle

Drummer + multi-instrumentalist?

There are some amazing people out there, I was browsing prog rock and came across this The drummer called Guy Shiffman is super pro and plays some very difficult parts, in the meantime his preferred instrument is metal guitar! Any more of these ultra talents out there?
  8. Supernoodle

Roland TM-1

Just tested one of these little units, great fun adding some tone to your acoustic bass drum sound! I wear isolation headphones anyway and got used to hearing my acoustic kit through them. At live gigs I had the problem of not hearing enough kick drum attack from the wedges on stage, so I got...
  9. Supernoodle

Zildjian Sweet Crash

The classic crash cymbal sound seems to be back! From listening to sound demos online these seem to have the Zildjian sound I liked decades ago, and traditional finish too (never liked brilliant very much). Do you think they are consistently good, or do you have to be lucky to find a good one?
  10. Supernoodle

Who sits highest?

From this video Aaron Sterling (1:00) and Chris Dave (2:50) are pretty much up there... but who's the worst?
  11. Supernoodle

Bozzio and Donati

Good chat with these two drum icons. Wouldn't it be great if they did an improvised drum duet together? Both have such unique voices and love for big kits, polyrhythms etc.
  12. Supernoodle

Odd rudiments?

With everyone getting into quintuplets, I tried working on this idea, as he plays it at 1:18 It sounds so smooth, and you don't even notice the odd grouping. That really amounts to playing a five stroke roll rudiment as quintuplets, i.e. without leaving the usual gap. Does anyone do this...
  13. Supernoodle

Fill in Reeling in the Years?

What's the sticking on the first fill tens seconds into the track? Sounds like two drags but my hands are falling over trying to do it...
  14. Supernoodle

Blondie in Glasgow

Watched a 1979 concert last night: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000zwr3/the-old-grey-whistle-test-blondie-in-concert They were fantastic, Debbie Harry was spot on singing, hitting all the notes, and Clem Burke gets a place on the side, rather than in the back, and radiates energy...
  15. Supernoodle

rimshots or not?

I've got quite a few Joe Jackson songs on my drum-along playlist (with original drums removed using Spleeter). Do you reckon this is played with rimshots? Another one with the same drummer, sounds like no rimshots: I find it hard to tell generally from recordings...
  16. Supernoodle

'suspending' notes from others is bad?

I noticed a problem when playing 16ths between snare and bass drum, when there is one or two bass drum notes immediately following the backbeat, such as '2e' when '2' is a snare accent. The tendency is to play the bass drum 'e' as a quick motion to put it in its exact spot, making it weaker...
  17. Supernoodle

Removing drums from existing tracks

Artificial intelligence... I just tried this Moises app as mentioned by David Cola. It uploads mp3 files from your phone to an AI system which separates drums, vocals, bass, rest. Thought it was impossible. Amazing! Free version has resulting multitracks expiring after 3 days.
  18. Supernoodle

Revisiting Jim Chapin's book

It's great coming back to "Advanced Techniques..." I forgot how good it is. Playing triplet, straight 8ths and 16ths figures against the cymbal beat really does wonders to your swing and general sense of time. There is still no other book I know that does that. At the same time your weak hand...
  19. Supernoodle

Drummers on YT

what's happening these days... People with cash to piss away hire studio musicians to play on a track (created just for that purpose), hoping to get a million youtube followers? https://invidiou.site/watch?v=HuWiDhVtymE And of course nobody gets their own drum sound, all is replaced by naff...
  20. Supernoodle

Why is this so hard to nail?

da da boom - I've been playing a long time, but only nail this about 50% of the time. A wasted fill if it's not spot on, but so cool when it is... Two examples: (this was Beard, not a machine) and here in the chorus at 1:30, done on a Simmons kit: Any tips on how to get this more consistent??
Back