Search results

1. River19

Classic Catalog Find & Price Sheets

Often times when your parents unload boxes of your old crap on you in the name of "cleaning up the attic" or something similar it is just junk you immediately rubber stamp for the trash bin. However one box was intriguing as it was labeled "Steve mostly drum stuff"......... ok..... So under my...
  2. River19

"Sounds Great, send me the stems." - Best Words Ever !!!!

I am sure many on this forum can relate to the joy those words bring, especially on a song that just won't seem to be "finished"...... Received those words this evening on a song that kept getting tweaked over and over again on an album we are working on. I must have played this snare shuffle...
  3. River19

Swapping to Ribbons for Overheads

In the middle of a recording project for what will be a full album and while we are pleased with the tracking and sounds using my condenser overheads the artist/producer is a big fan of running ribbons for overheads. I picked up a pair of Sterling Audio ST170s that are on their way to...
  4. River19

Zildjian Platinum Hats - Cameo Appearance

Been working on recording a new track for an artist and friend I have been working with for the past year or so and he is attached to a scratch drum track he laid on the demo (which is cool, it had some solid parts)........he fell in love with some classic double handed 16ths and wanted them...
  5. River19

First Single From Home Studio

After building out my home studio last year I crossed paths with a guitarist I played with 30+ years ago in High School and we started collaborating remotely on a song of his that evolved into a completed project he just released this morning. Nothing flashy on the song from a playing...
  6. River19

Playing with a Click - Observations

Since building out my home recording rig last year I have luckily been somewhat busy rekindling relationships with people I have played with over the years who thankfully were stoked I can work with them remotely (technology is a wonderful thing). With that has come a learning curve on many...
  7. River19

Importance of Quality Cymbals for Recording

Random thoughts by River19....... After having pulled together my home recording setup and done ~80-100 tracks in there to this point, I can't stress enough how pleased I am to have been able to invest in quality cymbals over the years. No matter what style of the tunes, they sound amazing and...
  8. River19

Ludwig Speed King Identification

So, I was cleaning up some stuff in my cabin basement and came across a box of "stuff" my parents dumped on me and we brought up here to store.....and in it was my old Speed King pedal I bought off one of my old teachers in like 1989 or so.......I'm guessing the pedal was clearly older than...
  9. River19

I Love the Evans HD Dry - There I Said it

I can't help it. I have one on every wood snare I own the only non HD Dry right now is the G1 on the N&C Alloy Classic. I get exactly the recorded sound I want and a lot less of what I don't want with minimal muffling and EQ etc. I'm fine with being judged...... Feels good to admit it. That...
  10. River19

Best Sounding Drum Tracks........

Just read through the "Worst Sounding Drum Tracks" thread and while everyone has an opinion I was curious what the flip side of that would be? There are common references to notable and classic standard examples of "this is a great snare sound" or "love the sound of XYZ album".......whether it...
  11. River19

It's that time of year again a bout of acute GAS.....14x8" Talk to me.....

Seems like heading into the doldrums of winter I tend to get a case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome, in Q1 last year I picked up my Hendrix kit and ordered up my N&C Alloy.......I usually ramp up my playing activity when my outside hobbies slow down and I get antsy looking for new sounds for...
  12. River19

Holy Grail of the Drum World?

So, as a musician I watch, follow, read etc many musicians and always find classic gear discussions really interesting whether it is trying to find and buy classic Neve Consoles or the constant search for real '59 Les Pauls or '57 Fender Bass guitars........ So what is the drum equivalent? I...
  13. River19

This Silly Snare......

........it just works better than it should. I normally try to avoid posting day in day out minutiae akin to "I pooped today" but........ As some of you recall I picked up this rewrapped older Ludwig snare a month or so ago to add to the stack of options. Since then, I have found it works...
  14. River19

Nordic Shells Becoming the "go to" Shell maker?

Heard on good authority that Keller is unable or possibly unwilling to keep up production as the drum shell business is a small portion of their overall portfolio. Rumor has it Nordic is becoming the go to for ply shells not currently made in house. I have been following Nordic for a bit as I...
  15. River19

Let's Talk Kick Drum Mic's & Mixing

I have had the home studio up and running for a couple months now and cut probably 40-60 songs over that time with overall positive reaction on sound etc. One thing that I have gotten really good comments on was how low and "punchy" my kick tone is. The bulk of that is due to the awesomeness...
  16. River19

Classic Ludwig Snare Identification

Hey, I just picked up (shipping in transit now) a re-wrapped Ludwig snare which I believe is from the 1960s but could use a little help identifying what it could be. 8 lug 14 x 5 or 5.5" Keystone badge "Ludwig Drum Co Chicago USA" Interior looks to me like Mahogany with maple re-rings It's the...
  17. River19

What are you playing today? (Music not gear)

So we have the venerable threads of "latest purchase", "what are you listening to" etc. but I can't recall one for "What are you playing today?" so I figured I would throw it out there...... Since we all are players and while the 100s of threads on gear clearly are fun to chat about I was...
  18. River19

OK I'm an Idiot....Adventures in Recording

So far with the new studio setup I have completed maybe 40 tunes or so......been pleased with the results so far but occasionally I have hated how much attic I was getting from the 12" tom. I chased down the "thwap" a little bit by swapping out clear EC2S for a Coated Emperor, ok a little...
  19. River19

Possible New Snare Build.......need ideas

Every year to 18months I get the itch for a project, which usually results in me building a snare of some sort in the Spring........ To date I have built out the following: 14 x 6" Maple ply Keller shell 14 x 7" Walnut Stave (relatively thin) 14 x 6.5" Cherry Ply (Love this drum) I also have...
  20. River19

New Hendrix Walnut Ply Kit

As some of you probably saw, on a whim I picked up a virtually mint Hendrix Walnut Ply shell pack (22/12/16) that was listed 30mins from my home. I had no need for another kit, but always kinda wanted a walnut kit because,......well....walnut. I swapped my Tama Starclassic out carefully like a...
Back