Search results

1. P

Practice question.

I think it was someone on this forum actually who recommended recording myself while practicing a lot and I think it really helped (after being horribly discouraging for a little bit, lol). The thought was there's only so much your brain can process at one time so don't add trying to evaluate...
  2. P

You ever just buy new gear and get it home and you're like eh

Yup. Digital postal scales are cheap. I've had ride cymbals of the same size make and model 700+ grams apart so it's not a tell-all bit I'd be hard pressed to buy something without weights.
  3. P

You ever just buy new gear and get it home and you're like eh

You just explained part of the reason I play drums. I went through a few Peaveys, Kramers, and Ibanezs with floating tremolos before I got sick messing with them. Then I got a Gibson with a tune-a-matic bridge but it was a Flying V with that massive headstock and a tree trunk neck that made it...
  4. P

Here we (don't) go again...

That's a really good point. Unfortunately, I guess I'm part of the problem since I discovered how much I can save by not eating or going out. But then I spend all that money I saved on cymbals so I guess it all balances out.
  5. P

Age old question: How to prevent the kick drum/hi hat from sliding away

I bought a couple carpet remnants at Lowe's for a few bucks over the years. You can usually find office carpet remnants cheap since there's not much call for them but they're good for drums since they're lightweight but durable. Or just pull an Elvin on them.
  6. P

Yikes...Joey Jordison passed away...

Isolated drum track for Wait and Bleed.
  7. P

Will there be a next kind of music?

As far as what the new type of music will be it's impossible to know what will click but it always seems to be one of three things...pushing an existing genre further (faster, more complex, etc), mixing genres, or bringing something from the past back. It's hard to know instrument-wise too since...
  8. P

Will there be a next kind of music?

People aren't anymore self centered than they've ever been. I can't count how many collabs I've seen from people all over the world the last year. Live music is happening again and I haven't seen a single solo act advertised. Because of the internet we might see more work by individuals but that...
  9. P

Learning Jazz , is traditional grip a plu?

Absolutely. The only benefit I've ever heard for playing jazz with trad was for the vibe. I think the time spent listening to old and modern classics or a dozen other things would improve someone's feel much more than spending time learning a tricky motor skill. Matched is becoming more common...
  10. P

Dave Grohl Disco Beat?

It's cool to hear a guy be humble and give credit to his influences. I never would have put it together (apologies for the f-bomb).
  11. P

I Am Leaving This Forum

But you took a public shot at the moderator, lol. Then why have any moderation at all or even a theme to the forum if that's the case? I just think the maxim "good fences make good neighbors" applies here as well. The issue here was he posted a link to a full religious service that had some...
  12. P

I Am Leaving This Forum

Moderators did their best to interpret the rules of the forum in regards to posting. It wasn't done out of spite or to oppress anyone but out of consideration for others. Not sure why some see it as a full-on assault on their rights if they're not allowed to do 100% what they want 100% of the...
  13. P

Drumming is for the dogs!

I'm not a hard hitter so our golden retriever Sketch doesn't mind the drums except for the fact that my time at the drums takes away from the time his ball is being thrown and that is not acceptable. He lets me know.
  14. P

Metal and Hard Rock Drummers Who Use Single Kick Pedals

Didn't David Silveria with Korn play mostly single pedal? He had some nice grooves.
  15. P

Retiring at the end of the month!

Congrats, I'm a big fan of retirement and sometimes a negative situation like that is what you need to finally take the leap. I've worked full-time since I was 16 but got laid off a few years ago. Took a part time job and realized all the bills were getting paid and the only difference was we...
  16. P

Rick Beato: Modern Music's Death by Auto-Tune

It seems he does a pretty fair job of giving some modern music some props but he has to throw in the occasional over-dramatic clickbait. "Why Today's Music is so Boring." "Reacting to the Top 10 Songs on iTunes, WTF?" Has he not looked at the charts from back in the day? Lol. 'Yummy Yummy...
  17. P

Rick Beato: Modern Music's Death by Auto-Tune

Playing devil's advocate couldn't the same complaint be made about multi-tracking, overdubbing, triggering, and bunches of other studio processes? The best musicians have their work pieced together without expecting them to get the best possible performance and best sound in a single take.
  18. P

Old school pedals

I was kinda baffled by that ghost and had to do some digging to find anything on how they work. Curious if it feels any different how they play?
  19. P

Brand loyal or or mix?

Same here. I didn't do it by choice I just really struggled to find a cohesive set when I was mixing (Bos, 50's Zildjian, Istanbul Mehmet, Dream). I'm still using a set of hollow logo New Beats but I'll probably swap those out at some point. And for me personally it's not that I think they're...
  20. P

Philosophy on pairing rides/small jazz groups

I know it's a personal taste thing but I'm curious about people's ideas on pairing ride cymbals in jazz setting. Do you go for somewhat similar sounding or very different sounding rides? Dry versus washy? Dark versus bright? Traditional versus modern sounds?
Back