Search results

1. L

Struggling with "Badge"

"Badge" by Cream has been on my practice playlist for ages. I love the song but no matter how hard I try I can't quite nail the timing and the breaks. Anybody got any pointers on how to capture the feel of this song? I'd love to play it live somewhere down the road.
  2. L

Say What?

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/189237778 Prices on the old Acrolites have gone through the roof! Glad I bought mine years ago.
  3. L

First time recording tips and advice

I'm headed into the recording studio for the first time in a couple of weeks. I've played lots of live shows and played to a click with good results but have never been recorded in a professional studio. The first song up is one I wrote so I know it cold. Any advice for this recording newbie...
  4. L

A Pleasant Surprise

I recently bought a used, mint condition Pearl Roadshow kit. Picked up the shells and hardware for $250.00 which included the 18" bass drum, 10" mounted tom and 14" floor tom. I wanted something light and easy to set up quickly. I've got an 18" ride mounted on the bass drum along with the tom. I...
  5. L

Question about tuning

One of the tricky things for me when tuning drums for a live show is getting the tuning right for the audience. I know that what I hear behind the kit is much different from what the audience hears. I know for example that if you want a fat, deep, juicy tom sound it's very tempting to tune the...
  6. L

Lefty appreciation thread

I'm just curious how many true lefty drummers are out there. I play completely left handed including bass drum. Lots of folks play open handed and left hand lead but play the kick right footed. It's a pain being a lefty on jam night but most musicians I've played with are cool with me switching...
  7. L

Anybody playing these?

This looks like a heck of a deal to me. I've got a set of RN-1 Renowns 22,8,10,12,14,16 with die cast hoops. I'm wondering if the RN-2's are going to sound much different from what I have now. I know the bass drum will obviously be different but what about the rest of the kit? I think I have a...
  8. L

"Something Happened On The Way to Heaven"

I love this Phil Collins song and we're adding it to our set list. I'm having a bit of trouble nailing the beat although it seems simple enough. Something is just a bit off when I play it. Nobody else notices it but me but still... Anybody cover this one and any hints on how to play it...
  9. L

Direct Drive Pedal Recommendation

Can anybody recommend a single, direct drive pedal for me to try? I've been using the Gibraltar 6711DD which I like but I want to try something new. I went from chain drive to direct a few years ago and really like the feel. Thanks in advance for your input.
  10. L

2N4

The longer I play the more I realize how simple my job really is. For the last few months I've concentrated on delivering on two and four and stripping down my playing. I can keep excellent time but I've really made an effort lately to be very precise on 2 and 4. It sounds very basic but when I...
  11. L

Problems with singers slowing down

I play in a church band with four main singers. The problem I have is that they constantly slow down as the song progresses. I've tried yelling "don't slow down" during rehearsals and actually stopping the song because they start to drag. If I slow down to their pace the songs always drag...
  12. L

Better with age?

My experience with most drum heads is that over time they go dead and lose their resonance and good tone. I've used many different heads from all of the major manufacturers. About nine months ago I put Aquarian Response 2 heads on my Gretsch Renown kit. I have Classic clears as resos. Not only...
  13. L

Finally finished Tiger Eye Pearls

It took a while but I finally finished refurbing my 1968 Pearl Deluxe Tiger Eye kit. They were pretty rough when I got them but bearing edges were perfect (shocker) and all hardware was good, just very dirty. New heads, new bass drum hoops,, some TLC and voila. They sound great, very rich and...
  14. L

Sonor AQ2 Safari or AQX Jungle?

I'm looking at these two kits and would like some input from you Sonor guys. The AQX is poplar and the AQ2 is maple, but other than that the two kits look the same to me. The AQX can still be bought for $400 and the Safari is $699. What are the real differences and are the AQ2's worth the extra...
  15. L

Aquarian has become my drumhead of choice

It was time to replace the batter heads on my Pearl Session Series drum kit. I have been playing Remo Clear Pinstripes which sounded great but I wanted to try something different. I bought Evans G2 clears and put them on last week. The first thing I noticed was that one of the heads had a...
  16. L

Need help converting a 16" floor tom to bass drum

I know this has been posted before but I'm looking for help converting a floor tom to a bass drum. Specifically, I'm looking for hardware to mount one 10" tom and a cymbal on the floor tom. I've got a Pearl two hole mount I can use but I want something like the Sonor AQX. Any thoughts?
  17. L

Aquarian Classic Clear as Batter Heads

Anybody out there using Aquarian Classic Clears as batter heads? I've got several left over that I use as resos. Just curious what I might expect.
  18. L

Any guesses how high this will go?

Looks like a 1966 Ludwig Jazz Festival in near mint condition with original heads and case. I'd love to have it but I have a feeling it's going to go for a lot of $. My guess.....$490.00. "To the moon Alice!" https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/125639259
  19. L

Help identify Premier snare

20. L

Badge

I grew up as a huge Ginger Baker fan and loved his work with Cream. Badge has always given me fits with the timing of the fills. Anyone else have that problem? I was at a blues jam a few years back behind the kit and out of the blue the lead guitarist says "Badge" and starts into it. Luckily for...
Back