Search results

1. dwsabianguy

Full Fall Festival Set with the Latin Band

(Oh cool, someone who bootlegged our show has disallowed posting on other websites...) Shakori Hills Grassroots is the local central NC arm of a greater string of east coast festivals anchored by zydeco band Donna The Buffalo. Needless to say, we are not a zydeco band, but we bring an energy...
  2. dwsabianguy

Lightest 2-leg hihat stand?

The Latin band I'm in is traveling to Peru for a series of gigs around Lima, and I will be playing house kits. I play left foot clave throughout the entire catalog of the band's music, so I will be bringing my clave pedal. Unfortunately it does not seem to fit under one of the legs of a normal...
  3. dwsabianguy

Tom Sawyer

I've got this kit, and I've been recording some original material on it, but I felt like I needed to do another Rush tune. I ran out of time to really learn Digital Man or brush up Natural Science, so I took the obvious road: It was a fun project to try to get the drum tones from Moving...
  4. dwsabianguy

Concert Toms - Better Miked from the Top or Bottom?

I took the bottom heads off my Ludwigs for a session two weeks ago, and had to put a different kit there this past weekend. But before I did, I figured I'd play with mic placement and see if those concert toms sound better captured from the top of the drum, or the bottom, inside the shell: I...
  5. dwsabianguy

That Zildjian 400th Anniversary Ride Cymbal

2112 got one. Tony (one of the owners) asked me to make a demo video, so that maybe someday someone will give it that forever home. That's the entire time I played it. It's not mine, and I certainly can't afford it, so I didn't want to mark up a piece of history more than was strictly...
  6. dwsabianguy

Red Barchetta - Rush (of course)

The problem with trying to do this on Neil's birthday is that it takes all damn day! It's also always fun recording on this kit. That Radio King sounds amazing. That Canadian A ride sounds amazing. I miss a couple notes here and there...
  7. dwsabianguy

The New Maple Dennis Chambers Snare

Pearl have brought the 4-and-4 maple shell back to the Dennis Chambers signature drum. And 2112 let me take it home and make a video! Honestly I'm really impressed. I used to own one of the white ones, and sold it stupidly, but now I know exactly how dumb I was to sell it. It's a fantastic snare.
  8. dwsabianguy

Session Footage: Ann Adams - Get Over It

This song just came out on Tuesday, but I was away in Iceland and whiffed the usual posting of links. I also only have this footage of the initial rhythm tracking, which doesn't include vocal, piano, guitar, or guitar solo overdubs. But it's a little insight into how I run my sessions these...
  9. dwsabianguy

The Ludwig Satin DeLuxe Black Beauty

Okay, I confess, it's another demo I made for 2112: But I have to say: I was totally blown away by this drum. Possibly the best sounding black beauty I've ever played. It was fat and controlled in the lower register, and didn't get "pinched" when I tuned it up. I give the hoops most of the...
  10. dwsabianguy

"The Snares" Episode 1: my 1979 LM402

I have a pretty righteous collection of snare drums and some free time, so I figured I'd start making a series of demonstrations. Up first: My 1979 Ludwig LM402. One of the first "real" snare drums I ever got, and the longest tenured snare in the collection. It's a great drum.
  11. dwsabianguy

Six new snare demos for 2112

We've been putting out a batch of snare demo videos about once month over on the 2112 YouTube channel. This month I've got six for you: https://youtu.be/yr2ptq3itJ0 I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with the beech Benny Greb. I think I like it better than the brass model. We had...
  12. dwsabianguy

Freewill - For Neil - Full Band/Drum Cam

Today marks three years of Neil Peart's passing, and I just happen to have some fresh footage from Thursday's Cygnus X-2 practice that I'm pretty proud of. So here's us doing our best Freewill for you.
  13. dwsabianguy

The Pass, for Neil's birthday

Neil Peart would have been 70 today, so I felt a responsibility to do something about it. This song isn't all that difficult, but it's a masterfully written drum part, and some of my favorite Rush lyrics.
  14. dwsabianguy

Ludwig Universal Brass Compare-O

I've been sitting on this footage for like two months, but life got busy there for a moment. But it's out now!
  15. dwsabianguy

Yesterday's Riff

I had a day off yesterday, so I went for a run, ate a sandwich, grabbed my Telecaster, and cranked my Mesa/Boogie. Sometimes tones evoke a vibe, and this tone evoked a vibe of 194bpm.
  16. dwsabianguy

Demo of the big Bosphorus China from Pro Drum

Big thanks to Jerry and Chris for hooking me up with this big cymbal. Currently the largest in my collection, not counting the gong. And man, this recording is just four mics. No, no snare mic. Two overheads, two kick mics. AEA R84 ribbon mics up top, RE20 and a 47fet clone on the kick...
  17. dwsabianguy

A couple Billy Joel tunes

I was asked to make two videos to audition for a Billy Joel tribute act (for which I have no details, aside from the fact that I have very high esteem for the guy who asked me to do them, and he's always out touring, so I'm hoping I can hop on a bit of that train), so I figured I'd do a bit of a...
  18. dwsabianguy

The Spirit of Radio, on the big kit

I've been locked away at home with COVID for a week, so I've been trying to put in some practice time. The kit's all set up, the mics are plugged in, and the camera's on a tripod, so it follows that I should just go ahead and record some of the tunes I've already learned for Cygnus X-2 shows...
  19. dwsabianguy

2112 Percussion - New Store Location!

Hey everyone! For those who don't know me, I've been working at the only drum store in North Carolina, 2112 Percussion, for about six years now, teaching, running the YouTube channel, helping on the floor, and most recently moving the store out of our location of 28 years into a more modern...
  20. dwsabianguy

Some Latin Fusion, with my band, in my studio

Which of course is in my garage!
Back