Search results

1. dazzlez

Can you practice buzz roll on a drumpad?

I've mainly practiced on a electronic drumkit and drumpads. Now after over 3 years of drumming I still can't do a basic buzz roll and it's killing me because the bigband I just have joined have loads of buzz roll in the songs! Is it possible to practice a buzz roll on a realfeel drumpad or...
  2. dazzlez

should I jam with a big band???

Hey, long time no stupid question asked. Partly because I don't have access to a kit these days. Anyway, I've been looking for locals to play with for ages without luck. Now I have been offered to come and play with a big band that plays all kind of music including pop etc.. my friend told...
  3. dazzlez

The essentials for learning anything

I've read many books about learning strategies. I was impressed how good this article summed it up. http://www.vox.com/2014/6/24/5824192/study-smarter-learn-better-8-tips-from-memory-researchers?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_name=staff&utm_campaign=voxdotcom&utm_content=tuesday
  4. dazzlez

Best online-shop in Europe for drums?

What's the cheapest/best drum-shop in Europe? Musiciansfriend? Thomann got great support and delivery etc but I don't think it's the cheapest...
  5. dazzlez

Pork Pie Little Squealer Maple, anyone got it?

Pork Pie Little Squealer Maple Snare Drum 12X5 Inches for 100£ Is it worth it? Anyone got one? I like that it's a cheap maple snare and versatile with great reviews...
  6. dazzlez

transcription section

I think it would be great for the forum if we could have section where we can post new transcription with the songtitle in the forum post title and also requests would be alright to ask if people have a transcribed the song they are after or are willing to help out. Think about how we could...
  7. dazzlez

where can I buy quality sheet music?

Best site for this? Only bought sheet music to one song before and it turned out to be terrible transcription! Is drumscore any good?
  8. dazzlez

Can being without kit for a while be a good thing?

Right now I got a great v-drum kit in the bedroom and bang on it every day. I notice though that I often practice grooves and independent exercises using all my limbs when I'm at the kit instead of practice much rudiments. It's actually not until recently I'm starting to take my rudiments...
  9. dazzlez

playing to loops and drumless recordings vs jamming

Can't find much people to jam with at the moment. Can you learn the skill of playing well with others simply by playing a lot to loops and drumless recordings?
  10. dazzlez

is this hearing loss typical for drummers?

Just made a hearing test with an app and my left ear have trouble with low notes. This must be because of hihat and crash on the left side... As a warning to e-drummers take it easy on the volume in the headphones!
  11. dazzlez

Anyone here practicing rudiments with brushes?

I've just started doing so. I'm just curious on how common it is..
  12. dazzlez

How much of your practice time do you spend on one limb at a time?

So I've understood that practicing only one limb at a time is very good training. I rarely do it though except some exercises from "The language of drumming" I've had a few practice run with only my right foot, but can't recall a single time I've done it for the left-foot on the hi-hat (Single...
  13. dazzlez

Personalities of my limbs

Right hand - First born kid that always score highest on all the test and have great grades. Old for his age. Always trying to be good. Anal personality. Left hand - Middle kid. Bullied, bad self-feeling. Doesn't feel as loved as his other sibling that gets all the attention. Needs to be showed...
  14. dazzlez

Wearing hearing protection issue

When rehearsing, my experience so far is that a lot of guitarists/bass players and singers tend to rehearse without hearing protection. When I join them as a drummer and put my hearing protection in I get the feeling that I play too loud and I also have trouble to hear the vocals. I also...
  15. dazzlez

Teachers, do you force Crossed hands on beginners?

From one article and from my first student. It seems open-hand is something kids wanna do rather than crossed. It feels more natural to them. I read a good article that about this issue and all the benefits of crossed playing versus open hand. That convinced me that I should tell my student...
  16. dazzlez

Drummers need to stop comparing techniques and start learning them all!

Until quite recently I've always thought in the same way most beginner/intermediate drummers do. " What technique is best? Matched or Trad? Heel-up or heel-down? Double bass or single bass? Open-handed or crossed? Fingers vs Wrist" and the answer was usually:"Doesn't matter! You can achieve all...
  17. dazzlez

Had my first lesson and it was with a 4-year old! Continue with open-handed or not?

Didn't expect myself to be a great teacher but it seems like the kid really loved it and did everything I told him. He didn't get bored even after 1 hour of practice and he nailed the money beat a bit out of tempo and very slow but still! I'm happily surprised I could teach a 4-year old that...
  18. dazzlez

Is a pop/folk/indie-song ever better without a fitting drumbeat?

I'm surprised on how many acoustic guitarist/vocalists that doesn't bother to get a drummer. I mainly think of the typical open-mic guitarist that written his/her own songs and think that drums is for rock music. I think a beat always brings the music to a higher level and if a song doesn't fit...
  19. dazzlez

Skills that's good for any band-member to have except instrumental/singing skills and music theory.

Besides be able to sing and play other instruments. What other skills could be of help when playing in a band? I'm thinking of mixing, sound engineering, marketing, conducting, DJ, video-making, knowledge of how to start a small label and releasing your own music etc. Is there any skill that is...
  20. dazzlez

When are you ready to teach beginners?

useless thread It's already a thread on the same subject so deleting this
Back