Search results

1. W

Ludwig Classic Maple Snare - MCF

So, I bought a new 6.5x14" Ludwig Classic Maple snare drum to add to my vintage Ludwig set. I guess that was my first mistake. Using the stock batter head, it sounded horrible. There was a metal twang overtone coming from the batter head that I couldn't tune out. If I laid a light weight on...
  2. W

Ludwig Classic Maple - lack of selection?

I was thinking about buying a new Ludwig set, and I was drawn to the Classic Maple line. But it looks like I cannot order the sizes I want (at least not through Sweetwater or GC.) I want the new kit to be 13-16-20, but Ludwig doesn't sell that combination. If I want a 20" bass, Ludwig only...
  3. W

Modern drum finishes and sun fading

Does anybody know anything about how modern drum finishes react to sunlight exposure if the drums are placed in front of a west facing window? Will they fade in a couple of years of sitting there? The reason I'm asking: I've been thinking about rearranging my music room to keep another set...
  4. W

Vintage Slingerland and DW Classics

Hi everybody! I'm thinking about adding a 10" tom to my Slingerland 4 piece (13-16-22.) There are very few real Slingerland 10" toms (I owned one once and stupidly sold it.) I'm concerned about tones: I want the tone of the new tom to be (at least) similar to the vintage Slingerland set...
  5. W

PDP FS - thoughts?

Long story short: my son has played a PDP FS birch set (22/10/12/14 with additional 16" PDP Concept Birch floor tom) for a few years now. He's decided he wants a warmer sound, so he bought a used Pork Pie Hip Pig set. To help pay for the Hip Pig, my son "sold" his PDP FS set to the Bank of Dad...
  6. W

A "Thank you!" Shout to Pork Pie

Over the holidays, my son (he also plays drums) bought a used Pork Pie Hip Pig set through GC. It took a few extra days to arrive (UPS decided to send it the wrong way across the country) and when it finally arrived there was a small rip in the box. The bag holding the tension rods had been...
  7. W

Help dating a used DW Performance set

Happy Thanksgiving! I traded for a used DW Performance set earlier today. I've pulled the heads off, but I can't find a date stamp inside any of the drums. I'd like to know when the set was created. Is there any way to get an approximate date based on the serial numbers? The numbers are...