Search results

1. TK-421

Choosing snare drum on any budget -video

It's a little ridiculous how much he's talking about the individual snares, yet he never plays the vast majority of them! I buy my snares based on how they sound, not because it has "a very easy to use throw off", which he says about practically every drum in the video. Like there's a hard to...
  2. TK-421

The sound of the drum is within the heads

I totally get what you're saying, and I think that's the bigger question. Not "Does the wood/shell construction change the sound of the drum?" Because I think most of us agree that it does. And logic dictates that it does. After all, if different woods at different hardnesses constructed in...
  3. TK-421

From a crappy cell phone video? In a very loud room at NAMM? No. In person inside a studio where you can hear all the nuances? You bet! I’m not certain I’d be 10/10 every time, but in this scenario I’m sure I’d be close.
  4. TK-421

Frankly, I think every tom hit in this video sounds like crap, due to the heads being tuned way too low. I've never used a Tune Bot, but if that's the result you get, I'd demand my money back! This video has much better tuning (and a much nicer kit), hence you can hear a significantly greater...
  5. TK-421

Uninformed Drummer Dad | Snare Question

Foam ear plugs can definitely work, and it’s possible to position them to leave a tiny sliver of an opening in order to let in more sound. Since foam ear plugs are so cheap, you can start there, and if those don’t work for him then get him the Vater ear plugs. But I think the Vaters are like...
  6. TK-421

I use the Vater ear plugs, which fit in the ear canal and come with different filters to customize the level of hearing protection. Though I’m sure standard foam ear plugs would also work fine. https://www.vater.com/#!/product/287
  7. TK-421

Agreed, his kit is very nice already. From the pics, the only thing that looks like it could use an upgrade is that S crash (sorry CM). And unless there's some reason why he can't take his Renown snare to school to swap onto their Ludwig kit, I still don't see why a new snare is warranted. I...
  8. TK-421

If his current snare is a 5x14” Renown, that’s a GREAT snare already, and it will work well for jazz and rock, and just about anything else. While I applaud your willingness to reward his drumming progress, to me it doesn’t sound like a new snare should be the highest priority since his current...
  9. TK-421

Kick drum protector O-rings

Larger kick mics like a Beta 52 most likely won’t fit through a 4” hole. But they don’t necessarily have to fit all the way through. I’ve often miced the kick in a way where the mic sits at the surface of the port hole facing toward the beater. If you mic it like that, a 4” hole should be fine.
  10. TK-421

trouble with remo silentstroke heads

On my apartment kit, I initially used SilentStroke heads on everything. But I could never get it sounding or feeling good on the snare, so I eventually replaced it with an RTOM Black Hole (just on the snare). I like that much more, as it sounds way better and it no longer feels like I’m playing...
  11. TK-421

What Recorded Snare Sound Do You Like?

Thanks. I’ve been obsessed with drum tone for at least a couple decades now, so that does help you hone in on certain sounds. I could totally hear the influence of the wood hoops in that recording, which is why I was thinking Ayotte. Plus, Ayottes were pretty big in the 90s when this album came...
  12. TK-421

Cool, thanks! Oddly enough, he’s playing a wood hooped Premier Signia snare in that video, and it sounds like it could be the same snare. If so, I wasn’t too far off.
  13. TK-421

If anyone remembers the band Sixpence None the Richer (from the 90s), they had this one song where the snare sound is just amazing. I have no idea what snare this is, but I’ve always pictured it as a wood hooped Ayotte. If anyone knows what snare this actually is, please let me know!
  14. TK-421

Gretsch VS. Ludwig Shotout!

The "winner" is whichever kit does it for you more. I'm a die hard Gretsch guy, and TBH wouldn't seriously consider a Ludwig kit, even though I think they're nice. But does that mean Gretsch is intrinsically "better" than Ludwig? No, it just means they speak to me more than Ludwigs do. If...
  15. TK-421

If you look closely, you'll notice they were at the Sonor booth hitting Sonor toms. But regardless, I feel strongly that shells/shell material does make a difference. And that cell phone video at NAMM doesn't prove a damn thing. Of course all of those toms are going to sound the same when...
  16. TK-421

For ten points - guess that tune!

I’ll need that today at my dentist appointment.
  17. TK-421

For ten points - guess that tune!

That's an easy one. Ozzy Osbourne, Over the Mountain. I win!
  18. TK-421

18” Zildjian Stack

I have a 16" K EFX crash stacked on top of an 18" A Custom EFX crash, and it sounds great! Though I tend to rotate them so the larger elongated holes don't line up, as that alters the sound slightly. It sounds somewhat like Dave Weckl's stack, which I believe is a 14" China on top of an 18" crash.
  19. TK-421

Can micro-scratches be fixed?

Like the scratches were never there. Seriously. It’s pretty amazing, really. Just one thing to keep in mind, if your watch has brushed surfaces, it‘ll take that out. So only use it on polished surfaces, and tape off any brushed surfaces (unless you don’t mind turning those into polished surfaces).
  20. TK-421

Can micro-scratches be fixed?

I have four words for you: CAPE COD POLISHING CLOTH. I recently got some light scratches on my nice Hamilton stainless steel watch, and practically everyone in the watch forums recommended this. And you know what? They’re 100% right! I ended up polishing all my watches with this cloth, and it...