Search results

1. TK-421

Those giant bass drum spurs from the 70s/80s

Does anyone know what's up with those comically large bass drum spurs from the 70s and early 80s? I was watching Santana at the '82 US Festival, and Michael Shrieve's Gretsch kit had those ridiculously oversized spurs. And for the life of me, I can't think of why anyone would have designed spurs...
  2. TK-421

Why do I get so many conservative banner ads here?

Just like the title says. Everything from guns to Trump, I see banner ads for them here all the freakin' time. And I never see them anywhere else. It certainly can't have anything to do with my browsing habits, as I'm pretty liberal and never visit sites that would trigger ads like these. Am I...
  3. TK-421

Steve Gadd Livestream from the Baked Potato this Saturday

Hey DW, I'm sure many of you have heard of the legendary Baked Potato jazz club in Los Angeles, where many greats regularly play such as Vinnie Colaiuta, Virgil Donati, Chad Wackerman, Danny Carey, Simon Phillips and countless others. I'm fortunate to live in LA, so I've been there many times...
  4. TK-421

What's your Drummerworld number?

Being bored stuck at home, I had a thought. How many of the Drummerworld Top 500 Drummers have I seen perform live? Living in LA helps, as every tour comes through town, I go to NAMM every year, and the local jazz clubs host such luminaries as Vinnie Colaiuta, Simon Phillips, Dave Weckl and many...
  5. TK-421

I designed a new recording studio website

Like the title says, I designed a website for my friend’s recording studio in Texas. In fact, I’ve done all of their branding thus far, including logo, color palette, business cards and now this. The site turned out great, and just launched this weekend. Check it out, and if you’re in the area...
  6. TK-421

Musician uses algorithm to generate 'every melody that's ever existed and ever can exist'

And all this to help prevent copyright lawsuits. Only time will tell if it actually works. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/music-copyright-algorithm-lawsuit-damien-riehl-a9364536.html
  7. TK-421

Caption contest!

This image is just begging for a caption, so who wants to play?
  8. TK-421

Any info on the Gretsch Limited Edition Gold Series Maple Snare?

I found this used on the Guitar Center website for a great price—$229—and decided to jump on it. It will arrive next week. I'm having it shipped to the GC closest to my work, so when it arrives I can check it out in the store, and return it on the spot if something is wrong with it or if I just...
  9. TK-421

Favorite drummer stories?

Does anyone have any favorite stories you've heard about other drummers? Preferably famous drummers, but it could be anyone. For me, it would be the infamous "sushi story" involving Vinnie Colaiuta (as told by Steve Vai): I'll tell you a really great Vinnie story. He's one of the most amazing...
  10. TK-421

Favorite drum shop in Los Angeles

This is for AzHeat; I thought I could send him a PM with images attached, but apparently there's no way to do that using vBulletin. Anyway, Pro Drums Hollywood may be the "legendary" shop around here, and they're great for high-end Gretsch, Ludwig or vintage gear, as well as repairs and...
  11. TK-421

Steely Dan & Chicago-influenced original track

This is the first track I'm posting for an album I recorded last year. The songs are FINALLY ready, and they turned out spectacularly good (at least I think so). This one has a cool side-stick/ride/tom groove in the verses, and a little surprise at the end (<cough> drum solo <cough>). Let me...
  12. TK-421

So that didn't end well

Back around May or June, I answered a Craigslist ad for a jazz/fusion guitarist looking for a drummer. The two of us got together in my studio to feel each other out, and it seemed like a reasonably good fit. But neither one of us knew a good bassist who was available (even in LA, good ones are...
  13. TK-421

A studio session I did remotely

This is something I did for a producer friend back in Texas. I recorded it in my studio in LA and sent him the files, and I think it turned out great! In fact, I only cut the drum tracks last week, and the song has been stuck in my head ever since. It's very catchy, to say the least. There are...
  14. TK-421

I just bought a "fake" Soultone ride from Sam Ash

I stopped by my local Sam Ash last weekend, and as usual, I grabbed a stick and starting banging out ride patterns on cymbals that caught my eye. I've been looking for a good deal on a left-side ride for my occasional jazz gigs, and in the used cymbals section, I found a raw/unlathed, seemingly...
  15. TK-421

Finally created a website for my drumming

This is something I've been meaning to do for years. Finally got around to it, and I think it turned out great. Let me know what you think. https://prodrums.wixsite.com/edvia
  16. TK-421

NAMM shredding with Marco Minnemann and more

This is video I shot of Marco Minnemann playing with Plini, Mohini Dey and Jake Howsam Lowe during NAMM week. Marco and Mohini (a phenomenal bassist) are really tearing it up here. I've already racked up over 20k views in under two weeks, so people are really digging it. Check it out and be sure...
  17. TK-421

Why is MSRP so far out of whack with street prices?

I saw this on an old thread, and it got me thinking. What's the deal with MSRP being roughly double what anyone actually pays? This is true throughout musical instruments, so it's not just drums. But for nearly anything else, from cars to home appliances, to tech gadgets and more, there is a...
  18. TK-421

Is Buddy Rich REALLY the greatest drummer of all time?

I've been playing drums since the early 80s, and that entire time it's been a "known fact" that Buddy Rich was the greatest drummer of all time. Ask any of the big name drummers who the greatest is, and everyone from Neil Peart to Weckl will all pretty much say the same thing. But is he really...
  19. TK-421

Show me your bass drums with contrasting inlaid hoops

I'm refurbishing a Gretsch Catalina white marine pearl kit, and will be recovering the bass drum in black to match my piano black Renown kit (I'll be selling the rest of the kit once I'm done refurbishing it, as I only need the bass drum). But now I'm wondering what to do with the hoops. They're...
  20. TK-421

Which kit to use for my upcoming jazz gig?

I have a (admittedly, very minor) dilemma coming up. I have a one-off jazz gig coming up on Sunday, and I'm debating what gear to use. I have a jazz kit, a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch bop kit (12/14/18) that would be perfect for this... except I've converted it to an "apartment" kit with mesh...