Search results

1. B

My Guitar Center Experience

Was an A. I was impressed with our local GC's service. Sold gear, cymbals / inexpensive drums, not an unfair offer, easy and peaceful. There will be a 22" EAK Zildjian ride showing up soon ... ;)
  2. B

Oh My Virgin Ears!

A bit of a left-turn/weird side of DW topic, For several years I've been having tinnitus, and blocking in my ears. The past few doctors visits I have forgotten to mention this, and a year or two ago the doctor mentioned that maybe I should have my ears flushed. I try sometimes at home and it...
  3. B

Another Tuning Thread (What in Sam Hell...?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht2JgVdHQdw Does anyone use this snare drum tuning/muffling technique? I've heard about drummers loosening or tightening the bottom three lugs but I have not seen this.
  4. B

There are many Ludwig Supra threads...

...but this one is mine. :) I've been looking at this drum for roughly two years, sitting on the shelf of a local music store, collecting dust. I'd call it a 7/10 for it's age, everything is original and working order. Pitting is pretty much average to slightly better than average. Very good...
  5. B

Auditioning for a New Orleans jazz/funk/etc. band

I'm wondering, from the bass player and band's POV, what they will be looking for and expecting to hear. I was thinking of asking for the standards we are doing and figuring it out from there. But I don't want to embarrass myself since it's been five years since playing with anyone. I know...
  6. B

My First Ludwig Acrolite

After reading so many cheerful threads of people picking up new and used gear, I picked up this drum for one hundred. Good to very good condition, I believe it's an early 90's. Thoughts/opinions? I've spent a half hour or so tuning it through the different pitches and notes, but with the...
  7. B

Buddy Rich's Best Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9PsQvJpAkU Part 1 of 4 Stumbled upon this a while back and wanted to share. Do you feel as though this is Buddy's "best" interview? It's definitely interesting and quite candid.
  8. B

Tony "Thunder" Smith, and a Solo

I don't think I've heard his name mentioned on this forum independently. As an offshoot of the Billy Cobham thread, Tony is not a "big name" for most drummers compared to BC. Tony played in a similar way; very ambidextrous and free, perhaps even more so than Billy Cobham. He was Jan Hammer's...
  9. B

Valedictorian Speaks Out Against Schooling

This young woman, although not a great speaker per se, put together a great speech. Ten minutes of relevant and important points in America, especially for the younger generation as well positions of "authority"! Bravo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M4tdMsg3ts
  10. B

One book which changed your life

I made this thread with a little inspiration from the "pre-destiny" thread. There have been many influential books and essays which changed my outlook of society and in general "life"; it was Daniel Quinn's "Ishmael" which caught my attention and forced me closely examine how we've been...
  11. B

Drum Identification

Any ideas? They're listed for $100. Owner says they don't appear to be Yamaha..
  12. B

Camco Oaklawn era kit

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/msg/3903934578.html is that a fair price w/out snare, minus knowing of any blemishes/wear/missing hardware? Any thoughts or opinions appreciated. Thanks!
  13. B

Practice (not so much technique)

So ten years ago I tried to re-invent my style of playing, from more of the rock/metal variety to more diverse and well, musical. From around 2008 to 2012 I spent a great deal of time working on co-ordination and improvisational skill on the drum-set. I was pretty terrible prior to that and...
  14. B

Another Vintage Ludwig Kit...

Hey all, Long time lurker and basically first-time poster. Thanks for reading! I have this Ludwig 5pc drum kit I purchased in the late 1980s. The badges range from Leedy&Ludwig (bass, floor tom) , Serial #'d Ludwig tom-toms (mid 60s?) and the snare is WFL. It's in decent shape, though...