Search results

1. Tommy_D

It's Super Cheap & Simple Upgrades Part 4, y'all!

This one is about bass drum muffling. Oh, the humanity!!! Sometimes a bass drum needs to be tamed and the least expensive, most effective way is to put a pillow in it. Many of the name brand pillows come with Velcro to hold the pillow in place, but quite frankly, I don't want to adhere sticky...
  2. Tommy_D

20 years of drum kit development summed up...?

How far do you think violin building has come in the last 100 years. What about the harp has changed in the last 200 years? Has the piano changed in the last 300 years? For drums, much has changed. Overall construction is higher than ever before. Hoops, lugs, mounting systems and plating...
  3. Tommy_D

New Years Resolutions???

New Years Resolutions I think I'm going to limit my purchasing of new drum gear. Over the last 2 or 3 years I have accumulated waaaayyyyy too much gear. At one point this year I think I had 8 kits, 50+ cymbals, 5 sets of stands, and a whole lot of other shells and hardware that I need to...
  4. Tommy_D

DFO - Malware and Virus issues

I hope this thread does not get taken down by the Admins for talking about another "competing" drum forum, but I think it's a known reality that Drummerworld is not the only drum forum that people visit. I happen to visit about 4 different drum forums on a near daily basis to keep abreast of...
  5. Tommy_D

Tom to Snare Conversion

So my last couple months have been busy with all kinds of projects at home and with some drum projects. Re-wraps, cut-downs, new edges, etc. have all been taking over my weekends this past October, but I wanted to share with you a couple cool projects I just finished for a customer of mine...
  6. Tommy_D

Shout out to Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry was kind enough to have some more give aways and I was fortunate enough to receive a set of die cast hoops for my black beauty knock off, aka a 5 x 14 PDP Ace snare. Just wanted to say thanks to Larry for the kind gift. You are a great man, Larry. She looks right at home:
  7. Tommy_D

Some projects I have been working on...

Hey everyone, I have been pretty busy this June working on some projects for people and thought I would share some of the fun I have been having. First is a Tama Silverstar 24x18 cut down to 24x14. Before: During: Completed: Next up is a Yamaha Live Custom 20x16 shell cut down to 20x12...
  8. Tommy_D

Helped a guy with his custom snare

I hate when people post duplicate threads on every forum they are on, but I'm going to do it anyway... A guy brought his custom snare drum in to me because the shell had a crack in it. While I was working on it, he asked if there was anything I could do to clean up a custom cut out the company...
  9. Tommy_D

Chrome or Black Hardware

I have the chance to swap out some chrome hardware for black on a kit of mine. I'm a pretty traditional guy and like chrome hardware, but all my kits have chrome hardware. While black may not be as glitzy and shiny as chrome, if the color of the drums could work with the black hardware, would...
  10. Tommy_D

Whats wrong with this picture?

Who can guess what is wrong?
  11. Tommy_D

More people need to see this Benny Greb video

Lots of great info in this video about drumming and composing. Unfortunately, it only has 123K views and that's waaaaaaaayyyyy too few for something of such importance in the drumming world. So, I'm going to post this here for people to see and hopefully get something out of it...
  12. Tommy_D

Drummers who "overplay" the music.

It seems like the general consensus around here is for the drummer to "play to the music" and not over play it with flashy fills or erratic ride/hat patterns where it is just not called for. Basically, you should be a musician and have your drumming compliment to enhance the music. If this...
  13. Tommy_D

Chicago Drum Show - Best of Show

Well, I went to the drum show today and have news to report. Played lots of drums and overall, many of them sounded like drums. Notable drums were Daville Drumworks, Kumu, and Jenkins Martin. I did play a new Recording Custom as well. Do you want to know what they sounded like? They sounded...
  14. Tommy_D

Cut down my bass drum

So I just finished cutting down a 24x18 bass drum to 14" deep. It still needs edges and new holes drilled for the lugs, but its certainly much easier to move around than the 18" drum. Anyway, I am thinking of doing a sound comparison video of the original 18" deep drum to the newly cut 14"...
  15. Tommy_D

Super Cheap & Simple Upgrade - Part 3!

So, I have this cymbal that I like the sound of, but I have always wanted to know what it would sound like with a little bit of sizzle. I have been toying with the idea of adding a rivet to it, but that's a bit of a "no turning back" proposition. So, to test the waters with adding some sizzle...
  16. Tommy_D

Another super cheap & simple upgrade

2 words people: O-Rings ...Or is that one word??? These aren't so much an upgrade as the grosgrain ribbon thread, but its a silly little thing that can save you the headache of your tension rods coming out of the bass claws and you lose the little washers and have to hunt for them, etc. Its...
  17. Tommy_D

Super cheap & simple upgrade

2 words people: Grosgrain Ribbon I have accumulated a few snare drums as of late, and have shells I am going to be working on soon, so I have been working on ideas to make my snares (all of them) be the best they can be. One thing I have noticed about pretty much every snare I own (all but 3)...
  18. Tommy_D

Sabian HHX Manhattan Jazz hi hats

Hey all, I have been looking to get some new hi hats and had narrowed down my choices to the Sabian HHX Groove, HHX Fusion and Artisan hi hats. Well, I went out today to a couple stores and tried out all 3. I have mildly mixed reviews and have some questions. Of the 3 I liked the Groove hats...
  19. Tommy_D

Anyone have a Saturn V with the new "Sonic Clear" bearing edges?

So, I'm curious about Mapex's "Sonic Clear" bearing edge. I know what the concept is, and pretty much exactly how it is cut, but I have never seen any photos of this edge on a Saturn drum. The Saturn's have pretty thin shells (a bit over 6mm) and I'm curious just how much of a round over they...
  20. Tommy_D

Merry Christmas - Some sales for y'all

So I have come across some pretty crazy deals this holiday season that I have taken advantage of. But as much as I love to "take", I want to "give" as well. So below are links to some absolutely insane deals for drums. I would buy some of these myself, but I just sold a 4th kit I had at my...