Search results

1. Stroman

Offset double bass pedal

I think I missed this thread first time around, but my question is, why does the bass drum size matter? The pedals only have to go wide enough for you to straddle the snare drum, yes? The bass drum could stick twenty feet out either side, and it wouldn't affect the function of the pedal, as far...
  2. Stroman

I need that thick, deep, Nashville country music snare drum! What do I get?

The best thick, fat snare drum sound I've gotten has been achieved with a tip I learned from "Sounds Like a Drum." I took a regular Ambassador, put gaff/duct tape all the way around the underside of the head at the edge (so the tape is between the bearing edge and the head), and viola! The best...
  3. Stroman

Tune-Bot your method

This is the only thing I can help with in this entire thread, lol. Call to Post is the trumpet piece at the beginning of horse races.
  4. Stroman

Ever regret selling something?

I don't really regret selling any music gear. I do regret selling some firearms, and a 1968 Chevelle SS. In the case of the Chevelle, I bought it for $3000, sold it for $3500, but if I'd kept it, it'd be worth 10 times that now. Of course, it'd only be worth that if I sold it... My thinking...
  5. Stroman

A Drummer's Most Important Quality

Vocabulary. A drummer needs an expansive vocabulary. :)
  6. Stroman

Things you learned not to do

I broke my own "no politics" rule in a fit of insanity the other day, and was instantly reminded why the rule existed to start with. I'm still on fb, but I rarely post anything meaningful. I do like to see what my friends across the world post, though, so I haven't left. Yet.
  7. Stroman

Things you learned not to do

Never post anything political on FB. Never ever ends well or does any good.
  8. Stroman

Tuning intervals for brighter sounding toms?

Excellent work. I really do appreciate you taking the time. My curiosity was piqued, and I had no way to satisfy it! :)
  9. Stroman

Tuning intervals for brighter sounding toms?

Thanks for the work on that! I believe Larry uses Ambassadors top and bottom, so the Drum Dial number for the batter head will likely give a different pitch than with the Emperor. Still, I appreciate the time, and it's pretty informative! Edit - if I recall, a thicker (therefore stiffer) head...
  10. Stroman

Am I the only one who thinks bass drums should be at least 22"?

I've played 18 through 28 inch bass drums. I actually like them all for various reasons, and each one has limitations, too. I'm not really dogmatic about any of this stuff any more. 22 is a good, all-round size, so I can't argue with anyone who uses one.
  11. Stroman

Tama Stewart Copeland Maintenance

You don't *have* to take the lugs and strainers off, but you will be able to do a more thorough job if you do. Either way, it should clean up nicely. Chrome over brass is not especially prone to pitting, so it is likely in good, sound shape.
  12. Stroman

Any opinions on 20" Powerstroke coated - better with or without CS dot?

Pretty much the opposite of what you're thinking, I believe - the dot adds a bit of hardness to the attack, but doesn't increase low end. If you want low and fat, avoid the dot. If you want mid-range, solid sounding attack, get the dot. I have, and use, both, albeit in the clear version.
  13. Stroman

Small dent, would You still buy?

I agree with Todd. I might buy it, but it would need to be a lot cheaper than half off retail.
  14. Stroman

Your Preferred Method of Snare Drum Muffling

Oh, and to get back to the OP - I don't use any muffling at all on my main snare probably 95% of the time. When I do muffle, it's very light - just a loop of tape or two. I do sometimes use a second snare, tuned very low, with tape all the way around the perimeter UNDER the head, lying between...
  15. Stroman

Your Preferred Method of Snare Drum Muffling

There is no oil between the plies. However, that grey looking stuff around the perimeter is a light muffling agent. Here is a quote from Remo's site - " Constructed with 2-plies of 7-mil Clear film, Pinstripe® Clear drumheads have an overtone reducing agent applied between the 2-plies providing...
  16. Stroman

Question for the People Playing 4 Piece Drum Sets- Sizes

1) 24/13/16 2) I selected the 24" BD because I missed that size from kits I had in my younger days. The 13 and 16 were chosen because they seem like classic sizes (Ringo) and gave me plenty of depth and separation for the music I was playing. That said, I left a bop kit (18/12/14) with a...
  17. Stroman

Show us a drum you “tricked out” or modified from stock

I guess it depends on what you call mods. I have done finish work on a Ludwig snare and a Tama drum set. And I installed a tom mount and XLR jack for internal micing on my Ludwig bass drum. EDIT - the pics are out of order, but the first image is the "before" Tama kit, and the last is the...
  18. Stroman

What do you hear when it's silent?

That sounds like classic tinnitus. I have it, too. Interestingly, I almost never notice it, but if I listen for it, it's always there. And when there are certain quiet background noises (like a low fan) it can sound like people whispering or other types of sounds. Very weird. Luckily, I seem...
  19. Stroman

Steely Dan - Aja

That was extremely well done. Kudos!