Search results

1. rhumbagirl

"Shake Your Body" groove

Might as well start a dedicated thread for this groove. All discussion is in terms of a trad-grip, right-handed player, playing on a right-handed drumset. So here's the open-handed version of Chad Wright's groove: |1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...| |R...
  2. rhumbagirl

I've been given a song list

Well I think this is an opportunity for me to get into a real band for a change. They've heard my promo material and have stopped looking at other drummers. Here is the song list. I was so excited I couldn't sleep last night. I managed to work out the intricate drum part to "Shake Your Body"...
  3. rhumbagirl

Put the dog in the attic?

Curious if others move pets to separate rooms to protect their hearing? I've got a 11 yr old Lhasa Apso that is showing signs of hearing loss. And I'm pretty sure I play loudly because I wear noise-cancelling headphones on a mic'd kit.
  4. rhumbagirl

Simply Red - Stars Groove

So I transcribed this guy's interpretation of the groove to "Stars" by Simply Red, and I'm having trouble getting the correct notation for sextuplets against 2/4: Here's the transcription. Thanks ~
  5. rhumbagirl

The Hi-Def Studio Session Thread

Ok, so I ran across a really good cover of 'Georgy Porgy' by a band called 'Ace of Heart' (Hungarian?). It didn't fit the criteria for a thread on just one song, especially when a lot of stuff is happening in it - playing talent, recording, video capture, etc - so I thought wouldn't it be cool...
  6. rhumbagirl

Partido Alto example by Goran Rista

I didn't see any examples on Drummerworld for this Brazilian style that I'm working on, so I thought I'd share one I found on YouTube by Goran Rista. I like the 16ths on the HH with the right hand. This is what I mean by warming up the hands playing Bossa Nova, but I guess now I'm including...
  7. rhumbagirl

Can't find this drum studies book

I couldn't locate my snare studies book from years ago, so I drew what I remember the front cover to be. Anyone know what book this is? Thanks..
  8. rhumbagirl

Jazz band playing to a metronome

Hello DW, It's been a couple years since we last spoke. Hope you all are doing alright! I've been playing drums off and on (non-professionally) for 40 yrs and this is the first time a band leader has made the entire band rehearse with a metronomic click (smartphone app plugged into a guitar...
  9. rhumbagirl

Moved across country again

Just when I was getting myself back in the playing groove, I had to take a job on the other side of the country. The good news is that Steph has cash flow again :) Anyway, just thought I'd holler a headsup as to my absence. Rhumba-Rhum-Rhum!
  10. rhumbagirl

"Daniel" by Elton John

Recorded with Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Ableton Live 8, MXL 840 overheads, SM57s and Beta52. No compression or effects. Kit: Gretsch Catalina Club (18" kick, 10" tom, 14" floor, 14"x3.5" Pearl Free-floating snare, muffled) Cymbals are Meinl Byzance: 14" dark HH, 18" dark crash, 20" dark ride...
  11. rhumbagirl

Chuck Tilley

Chuck Tilley was on the cover of Modern Drummer some years back (mid-2000s?) and currently plays for Six Wire. He's been a professional drummer his entire life and was my first teacher when I took up the drums in junior high in Tuscaloosa Alabama. I couldn't find a page on him so would like to...
  12. rhumbagirl

Back to the grind

Well HELLO AGAIN, Drummerworld!! Jjust thought I'd write a little note about where I'm at in my playing. You see, it wasn't always about my playing. Because I wasn't always playing. It only became about my playing when I went out and sought it out, and demanded something from myself...
  13. rhumbagirl

Head work counts too!

So yesterday I camped out at Samba Juice, eating a Subway sandwich, with my dog, and decided that I would spend sometime preparing for my evening practice session. I re-read the first 20 or so pages of Riley's The Art of Bebop Drumming. I sung the parts in Comp Exercise I and II. I looked...
  14. rhumbagirl

Switching Heads and sticks

Ok, I recently got a gig playing big band jazz and decided to change the heads on my Pearl reference kit to Remo Coated Ambassador from Evans Clear G1/G2s. Just the toms. Left the BD and snare alone. And in the process of this change, I noticed my usual Jojo Mayer signature sticks are a bit...
  15. rhumbagirl

Basia "Baby You're Mine" Cover by Stephanie Grow

Hey guys, I wanted to put something out there before too much time passed. It's not too bad. http://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=cvMbMZS4V1k&feature=vm Audio --recorded with Zoom Q3 (set to low gain) Bass drum video --recorded with Canon SD770IS digital camera Kit video --recorded with...
  16. rhumbagirl

Rise of the Humanoids!!

Are we becoming extinct? Are we becoming a dying breed? Certainly the age of digital drum tracks and sequencers has made the job of a studio drummer a thing of the past. Now Humanoids are just now coming out (of Japan) that can walk, dance, kick, get knocked down and get back up on their...
  17. rhumbagirl

DW9002 beater position

Hi guys, I've owned my DW9002 double pedal for 7 years now. Great pedal. Bought it used off ebay and it shows no issues or signs of letting up :) The question I have is, I've been using the pedal in single mode up until very recently when I decided to perform in a GC drumoff, and because...
  18. rhumbagirl

Steely Dan "I Got The News" cover - First Take

I look tired in the video because I was. I spent 4 or 5 hours today working on this one song. So please be kind :) It's a first take. I'll probably do another one tomorrow when I'm rested to see if there's any difference. Ok... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCLlnt6ql8g
  19. rhumbagirl

Drumoff Winner!

Hi guys! Well, I'm inclined to believe they gave it to me because I'm a regular customer, but a couple of people afterwards said I played well. It was the third and final night of preliminary round, with the store finals next week. There were 8 other contestants tonight and they all were...
  20. rhumbagirl

Reverse Pitched Tom Toms

Hi guys and girls, So I'm a junior member here (although with plenty of playing experience), and with my existence suth far primarily as the ever over the top boring tech talkie (LOL) I thought I would take the opportunity to initiate my own discussion to give you all the opportunity to kneel...