Search results

1. beatdat

Is the Drums Etc. website too good to be true?

Has anyone ever ordered from this site? I've been looking for a TAMA Silverstar 18" Floor Tom. I haven't had any luck finding one used, but I came across this website, Drums Etc., which apparently allows one to order "component" drums, presumably as add-ons to an existing kit. They also have...
  2. beatdat

A silver lining in every cloud?

For a couple of years now, I've been renting the rehearsal space where my band has been practicing. Last month, I received notice from the person who rents the top floor of the building where all of the rehearsal rooms are located that her landlord, who runs his business on the main floor, will...
  3. beatdat

Looking for a Gergo Barlai drum solo

I'm looking for a Gergo Barlai solo that someone (I think @Odd-Arne Oseberg) linked to in a thread (possibly sometime last year). The solo was interesting in the Gergo Barlai was not using conventional cymbals, but oddly shaped pieces of metal instead. It was a brilliant solo, with great...
  4. beatdat

Silent stroke bass drum head/regular beater or normal bass drum head/soft sound beater?

I have to find a better solution for quiet practice than the Gibraltar bass drum practice pad I have setup - the impact vibration going up from the basement where I practice is bothering people upstairs even with soft sound beaters. I heard a silent stroke head/regular beater setup recently...
  5. beatdat

I can't stop watching this

Covid-19 Remix
  6. beatdat

The One That Got Away

Could be a snare drum, a cymbal, even a shell bank. Whatever, doesn't matter - you once had it, now you don't. Mine was a Sabian 18" HH Mini-Bell Ride. I ended up trading it in for a Sabian 20" HH Medium-Heavy Ride. It's been over 20 years since I traded in the 18", and for the longest time...
  7. beatdat

Setting up Skype lessons

I'm thinking of signing up for some Skype lessons, and I'm trying to figure out how to do that with my setup. Whatever I need to get, I'm aiming to set-it-and-forget-it as much as possible. Here's my setup: I plan to watch the lessons on the iPad that's set up in front of my practice pad. But...
  8. beatdat

Issue with tilting TAMA 910 hi-hat pedal

I have a TAMA 910 Speed Cobra hi-hat pedal, which has a tilting system. I've noticed that when I tilt the stand, the back of the footboard rises and only the heel-plate remains touching the ground. Here's a photo of the stand with a highlighter pen placed under the bottom of the back of the...
  9. beatdat

Linking Names and Naming Links

A few quick questions. When posting: how do I create a link to a member's name so that it posts as a link with the member's name underline? Can it link to a post of theirs that I want to refer to or only to their bio as I seem to recall? how do I rename a page link I insert in a post to...
  10. beatdat

TAMA's Half Soft Sound Beater

Woo-hoo!!! They did it!! They finally did it!! Tama's made a soft sound beater for double pedals! Finally! They must have heard me, because I've been griping about them not making one since they came out with the soft sound beater a couple of years ago. I griped to the guys at the drum shop...
  11. beatdat

Broadening my musical horizons

Some recent threads on here have lead me wanting to post about something I recently took up. Here it goes. Last year, I started the process of changing careers. As a result, I found myself with some extra time on my hands, which left me looking for something to do. I didn't know what I wanted...
  12. beatdat

Late Notice to Toronto Peeps

I've just read that, as part of their Drum Week, Hugh's Room in downtown Toronto will be hosting the Jeff "Tain" Watts Trio this Saturday, March 14, 2020. Also, Ari Hoering is playing on the 13th. Jimmy Cobb and his band were supposed to be playing tonight, but his performance has been...
  13. beatdat

How do you count?

Seriously. I want to start prioritizing vocalization while I'm practicing, and I have some questions on how to do it. What do you count? Do you keep the same count for the entire exercise? What do you count while playing polyrhythms? What do you do when the tempo is too fast to vocalize...
  14. beatdat

ah-1, ah-2, ah-1, 2, 3, 4

How do you count off a song? I like to count off "2, 3, 4" or "2+, 3+, 4+", but it depends on the tempo. For faster tempos, I'll usually count off two bars, such as "1, _, 2, _, 1, 2, 3, 4", which is fine, but our guitar player wants this count off for all songs - regardless of tempo. This...
  15. beatdat

Thoughts on Touch and Time

I've spent the better part of the year working on getting my hands even with help from my teacher, Igoe's GHFAL and Famularo's The Weaker Side. One thing I've noticed, as my left hand is beginning to loosen up and I'm getting more comfortable practicing to a click track, is that there seems to...
  16. beatdat

20 Minutes to Speed and the 842 Double Lane

I recently picked up a small book by Jeremy Wright called "20 Minutes to Speed". The goal of the book is to increase your speed of four of the basic rudiments: single stroke rolls, double stroke rolls, paradiddles and flams. The first thing you do is calculate your maximum speed (in bpm) for...
  17. beatdat

Breakthroughs, Goals and Milestones

I recently had a bit of a breakthrough in my playing. For the past year and a half, I've been practicing diligently at home. Several months ago, I realized that, no matter how much I practiced leading with my non-dominant hand, it still wasn't catching up to my dominant hand, or even really...
  18. beatdat

Ever practice like this?

I was practicing a musical exercise, and the last bar was giving me a hard time. So, I isolated the bar for a bit and kept going over it. When I done, instead of starting at the beginning of the exercise, I started at the second last bar, and went over the two last bars for a bit. When I was...
  19. beatdat

Increasing rudiment speed: one for all or to each their own?

Last week I finished going through Alan Keown's "Mastering the Rudiments for Snare Drum in 28 Weeks"; it's a well laid out book, although the title is a bit misleading (perhaps "Learning the Rudiments for Snare Drum in 56 Weeks"), and I'm glad that I've gone through it. The book is broken up...
  20. beatdat

Just what you need to feel better...

Just what you need to make you feel better... Most of us know to sing "Pat Boone, Debbie Boone" and other vocalizations for various drum fills and patterns. One fill that has always given me a difficult time to feel and play properly is the Phil Collins fill in "In the Air Tonight", which is...