Search results

1. D

Paradiddle--Hi Hat

Thanks for your good replies guys. Further questions: a) If there are 12 strokes to a paradiddle are they played as triplets in a 4 beat bar measure? b) There seem countless combinations of paradiddles. How many would you use as 'mussel memory'? c) When a drummer is taking a solo do they know...
  2. D

Paradiddle--Hi Hat

Thanks guys for your useful info. All I want to play is a 'minimal' drum set up--that is snare / hi hat and ride cymbal. (At my age to old to be carrying around bass drum and toms!-plus lack of space to use a full kit. ) Been playing now for less than a year. My mistake in saying in my post...
  3. D

Paradiddle--Hi Hat

When you play the paradiddle--RLRRLRLL--do you find it difficult to play the 2 & 4 on the hi hat? Is this something you have to work at? No problems in playing the paradiddle on it's own--at all tempos. Any advice welcome. I have no problems playing 4 beats on the snare and 2 & 4 on the hi hat...
  4. D

Hi-Hat Questions

Hi Odd-Arne Oseberg Many thanks for your reply. Regarding my question B: I can keep good time on the hat playing 2 & 4--playing a 4/4 rhythm on the snare with the sticks--no problem But if I play the 8 note paradidal the 2 and 4 on the hat goes 'all to pieces'. Do drummers play the paradidal...
  5. D

Hi-Hat Questions

Been working on my snare drum technique. Time to work on the hi-hat. Your advice and expertise welcome. a) Hi-Hat: The foot. Is it common to have the heel down and work the hat from the toe? Been doing that and a after a shot while foot ache creeps in--is that common beginner problem? Just keep...
  6. D

Traditional Grip v Matched Grip

Thanks everybody for your helpful posts--much appreciated.
  7. D

'Minimal' kit

Thanks guys excellent info.
  8. D

'Minimal' kit

Many thanks for your replies.
  9. D

Traditional Grip v Matched Grip

Do you switch grips on a gig? a) Pros & Cons of each grip? b) Depends on the style of music? c) Do most 'jazzer's' use the traditional grip? (ps---I am a relatively newbe--hence questions.
  10. D

Hi-Hat Stand To High

Thanks once again for your answers. Got the hacksaw--cut of a bit off--still to high for me--cut s bit more off--perfect for me. One 'happy bunny'!
  11. D

Hi-Hat Stand To High

Many thanks guys for your input to my question. Nice to hear I'm not the only one who has had this problem----Now, where did I put my hacksaw?---------
  12. D

Hi-Hat Stand To High

I recently bought a Natal hi-hat stand. The lowest I can get the hi-hat cymbals for me is to high--I am reaching my arms to high. The internal chrome height adjustable tube is at the lowest it will go. (The adjustable chrome tube being 18 and 3/4" long). The legs of the stand appear to be at...
  13. D

Getting Started--When to use the snare wire

Yea---I'm a lover of the snare sound--wires on. And dig the guys who play New Orleans style--and 'Just listen to the music'.
  14. D

Many thanks for your advice--much appreciated. Yet to do a gig as such--so your advice very helpful. Thanks.
  15. D

Drum Mat

Many thanks for your replies.
  16. D

Your advice on when to use the snare wire. I'm into the 'jazzier' side of life. Your expertise welcome. a) When playing with brushes would you put the snare wire on--for more 'swish' to the sound?--Do most drummers do that? b) When playing swing / bop with sticks snare wire off? c) Playing New...
  17. D

Drum Mat

Your expertise welcome. I am about to obtain my first drum mat or carpet. The right carpet just as good as a proper drum mat? Regarding carpet: Have you tried a non-slip carpet that can help cut down the drum volume? (thinking of the neighbours!) If so what sort of a pile? Is rubber backing...
  18. D

Slim Bass Drum v 'Stomp' Box

Newbe to the bass drum. I only want a small kit comprising of snare drum / hi-hat and ride cymbal. I am going to add a bass drum. I am thinking of one of those ultra thin bass drums? Good sound? Anybody use them? Good sound for a quartet? If so what size drum to get? The bigger the better...
  19. D

Carry bag for drum gear

Advice for a first time buyer of gig bag. I have a small drum kit and advice wanted for an adequate bag / case for carrying the drums stands etc. Is it advisable to to get one that will take the full length of the hi-hat stand with the rod intact--or how many drummers unscrew the rod? Any...
  20. D

Snare Drum Rims

Can you use a snare rim as a batter rim? Any difference between the two rims? The reason I an asking is I have found a snare rim that I want to make my own--thin---practice head to practice brush work.