Search results

1. Chollyred

No logos, stickers, or duct tape!

Was given a DW vented reso that sounds great on my 22" PDP CX kick, but it had some obnoxious stickers an duct tape on it. Soaked it down in Goof Off, and with a lot of elbow grease, managed to get it all off. Since a lot of drummers poo poo having a DW logo on a different brand, took those off...
  2. Chollyred

Guitar Center made good!

Left my stick bag at the church for a couple of weeks just to keep from carrying it around. One night, they let a local band come in to do some recording. Apparently their dirtbag drummer went through my stickbag and stole 2 pair of Vic Firth American Classics in 5A. Looking around for...
  3. Chollyred

How do you sleep after a rehearsal or show?

We practice Wednesday nights around 7-730 and get out of there around 830-845. I'm usually in bed by 930 (get up at 5). Sometime during the night after practice, I'll wake up and cannot go back to sleep. Like last night, we worked on 9 Christmas songs. Around 130, BAM! I was awake with the music...
  4. Chollyred

Old Yamaha DTXplorer giving up the ghost...

So the old Yamaha DTXplorer at my small church is finally giving up the ghost, having triggering problems, one channel crapping out, cabling problems, etc. Makes my poor drumming skills even worse! The church has finally determined it's time to replace it. But, being a small church, budget is...
  5. Chollyred

Big honkin' ads!

I'm getting these big honking ads in the upper right side of my screen that covers up a large portion of the posts. I'm assuming they're driven by Google as I occasionally have the opportunity to report the ad. Is there any way to get rid of these things? NEVER MIND! THEY GO AWAY WHEN LOGGED...
  6. Chollyred

Do rubber pads suddenly feel harsh?

Or more so than usual? Been playing an old Yamaha DTXplorer for a church band for a little over a year. Suddenly, in the last week or so, it feels like the pads have lost sensitivity. Not just one or two, but all of them; to the point of physically hurting to play them (feels like a stinging...
  7. Chollyred

Pearl 930 Hardware Pack

Ran across a deal on the Pearl 930 hardware pack this week (50% off) and couldn't turn it down, but boy are these things heavy! I like the hideaway boom option on the cymbal stands. The Demonator pedal seems pretty smooth, but haven't tried it out yet. Not sure my old rolling duffel bag will...
  8. Chollyred

Duet with a pianist...

I guess I've gained the confidence of our church pianist. For the past few weeks, she'll bring in a new piece of music (for her. I don't get the music). She and I will run through it once around 9 am, then play live around 11 am. So far, we've not had any issues. granted, they're popular radio...
  9. Chollyred

Heel Spurs/Plantar Fasciitis?

Anyone have issues with this type of foot pain? A couple of months ago, I went up a ladder to the roof of our warehouse with contractors that were bidding on re-roofing the building. Within a day or two later, I started having severe foot pain. I figured I'd just strained something climbing the...
  10. Chollyred

R.I.P. Col. Bruce Hampton....

Jam scene patriarch Col. Bruce Hampton died on stage during the final moments of a benefit concert honoring his 70th birthday at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta on Monday night. Hampton passed out with nearly the entire all-star lineup for Hampton 70: A Celebration Of Col. Bruce Hampton surrounding...
  11. Chollyred

Do we get too caught up with equipment?

Watch this.... https://youtu.be/600ykNF3md4
  12. Chollyred

Another "Play like the record" thread...

The worship team at our church made an announcement that they were looking for volunteers to fill in with the team and give regular team members a break. I talked with the leader this week about being available to fill in if they needed, but that they seemed to have a fairly deep list of...
  13. Chollyred

Psychadelic shoegaze?

Just found out that my (much) younger cousin is playing drums for "Spirit and the Melchizedek Children". Their music is defined as psychedelic shoegaze? First time I've ever heard this stuff. Is there a market for this? Here's one of their...ahem....hits. https://youtu.be/qqbTlWCDaHU
  14. Chollyred

Genres that you won't play?

Got a call from a guy on bandmix trying to put together a new band. We talked for about an hour. The guy seemed a little flaky, but I figured it might be worth a shot to get together. So last night, he sent me a sample set list. A few of the songs I'm pretty familiar with, but several were new...
  15. Chollyred

How long is your hardware bag?

I don't gig much so can't justify spending $200 on a hardware bag (plus I'm PO'!), but I do need something that will carry my stuff (or even store safely). I just stumbles on this rolling duffel 36x17x15, made of 1200 denier fabric (twice as thick as most), with 3 wheels and skid rails...
  16. Chollyred

What is it with CL these days?!

Always perusing CL for drum stuff, or a decent deal to replace a couple of guitars that were stolen last year. You used to be able to find some good stuff cheap, but not any more! Seems sellers are listing items for over retail price. Don't they even bother to price check other outlets before...
  17. Chollyred

Minor League Football?

Would be an alternative path to the NFL rather than college...Would it work? http://sports.yahoo.com/news/could-this-pro-football-league-help-fix-a-nagging-nfl-draft-problem-100508944.html
  18. Chollyred

Wife on the warpath. What do you do?

My wife is on the warpath. She went to the doctor today and they told her that her insurance has pulled out of Georgia as of 1/1 (and didn’t tell us). Then, my 23 y/o has a tire going flat while at work and doesn’t get off until 7pm. She has to go help him with the tire so it can be fixed while...
  19. Chollyred

Giving up a church gig...

For the past month or so, I've been playing with a worship team other than my normal church. At the audition, I was told that I was filling in for their regular drummer that was away for the month. Ok, cool, no problem. We really meshed well and sound good together. At the last rehearsal, I...
  20. Chollyred

Blew the audition... :(

Well, I think I blew an audition, but at least made a couple more connections.... I was offered the chance to jam with some guys looking for a new drummer. They gave me a 35 song set list and a week to practice. I would say I KNEW 5-6 of the songs, but was familiar with the rest. I think the...