Search results

1. beatdat

COVID and Creativity

I'm glad to hear things are somewhat better. I see a PS4 in the picture. What are you playing these days?
  2. beatdat

Songs With the Bands Name in the Lyrics

Beastie Boys - "Fight for Your Right" Oh yeah, quintessential answer.
  3. beatdat

ARE YOU A DIVE BAR DRUMMER?

You can read about it here: Technique vs. groove.
  4. beatdat

Very good drummer Emmanuelle Caplette

Yeah... ...I might have missed that.
  5. beatdat

I was thinking 18" the smallest, but - wow - EQ or not, that kit has some punch. I wholeheartedly agree. She has some really great fills, and it's a blast watching her sticks while she plays.
  6. beatdat

3:00-3:04 was brilliant. She's a great player. The toms are 10, 12 and 14", no? They sound pretty deep for their sizes. Anyone know what size kick she's playing?
  7. beatdat

Kick drum problems

Trying using your ankle more. From your video, it looks like you're using every muscle in your leg except for your ankle. Using your upper leg is ok for slower, heavier stuff, but usually not for faster tempos. At faster tempos, you should be using little of your upper leg, and mostly your...
  8. beatdat

Interesting bit of Beatles trivia

Thread should have stayed buried. Shame, though, started off well. Plus 'ca change.
  9. beatdat

Learning Songs as the New Drummer

Keep the spirit, and the notes will follow.
  10. beatdat

Drum kit not in use

Put some silent stroke heads on it, add some low volume cymbals, take it all with you and practice night and day.
  11. beatdat

Trying to decide on a set in big sizes...

I agree with @harryconway, there's "no substitute for cubic inches". @harry.evanz, have you asked yourself, "what would Bonham do?". I asked my teacher just last week what he thought of a 12" tom paired with a 24" kick, and "anemic" was his immediate response (I was actually wondering about...
  12. beatdat

Can Someone Do a Big Favor For Me???

Sorry, I don't think anyone can. I hear it's the song every drummer tries to play, but they all play it wrong.
  13. beatdat

How many of you drummers can play the guitar.

I learned enough guitar to write a few songs on it that I couldn’t write on the piano. But that’s it. I did, however, bring home an electric that was left at my rehearsal space after it closed for good last month. Maybe it’s time to pick it up again.
  14. beatdat

Every tempo (bpm) feels slightly different

Yeah, you have to run the gamut of tempos from slow, to fast, and everything in between. There's music at all tempos. Why not get comfortable with them all?
  15. beatdat

Good posture

Good tip. The belly button is also a good place to start each breath from, which will help maintain one's posture, too.
  16. beatdat

Need help with "floor" tom

Like others have said, put legs on it. A regular floor tom takes up less space and is easier to position than a suspended one. Does Pearl sell the parts you need?
  17. beatdat

Is the Drums Etc. website too good to be true?

Has anyone ever ordered from this site? I've been looking for a TAMA Silverstar 18" Floor Tom. I haven't had any luck finding one used, but I came across this website, Drums Etc., which apparently allows one to order "component" drums, presumably as add-ons to an existing kit. They also have...
  18. beatdat

Setting up Skype lessons

Can anyone recommend a good webcam suitable for Skype lessons? Preferably under $100.00. I took a look on Amazon and found this webcam on sale. Thoughts?
  19. beatdat

Wilcoxon solos

Then I'll hunt them down. Thanks.
  20. beatdat

Wilcoxon solos

Great playing again. Do you have Solos 1-7 posted somewhere? One source (you!) for the first bunch of solos would be great to have as a reference.