Search results

1. S

Rack Tom Help.... 14" or 13"?

I have been having problems with my rack tom. You guts have already helped me with some related questions. Basically, I have a midlevel "mahogany" Gretsch Catalina Club Rock. It has a 26" bass, 16" and 18" floor toms and a 13" x 9" rack. The rack just sounds a little dead and boxy to me. I...
  2. S

Just a personal pet peeve, but seriously......

Why so so many people, shops list drum sizes with depth first, then diameter? I know both are important, but diameter should really come first. Is it just me? Does this bother anyone else? Is there an industry standard somewhere I'm not pricy to? A super secret cool kids rule. Seriously...
  3. S

Ride Position

I learned how to play on a standard 2-up, 1-down 5-piece. That was a few decades ago with most of the time I between NOT playing. I recently took drums back up, but now have a 1-up, 2-down configuration. Thus I learned to play with the ride higher and further to the right of the "traditional"...
  4. S

Matt Cameron

Cameron, in my estimation, is the best of the grunge era rock drummers. His cool, weird grooves, his sound, the intelligence of the work he's associated with combine to make him unmatched. I'll concede I wouldn't be saying this at all if I only knew his work with Pearl Jam. But behind the kit...
  5. S

Giving up the second floor tom

I'm curious about people's experience using a second floor tom. How often do you get to it? Do you consider it integral to your playing? Anyone give up on and switch to a different configuration? Anyone return to it after giving it up? For gigging drummers, do you use the second tom at home, but...
  6. S

Productive Practice

In a way, I have been playing for a long time (concert band in grade school, middle school, low quality jazz band in high school). I had a kit for awhile during that time, but got rid of it. I was NEVER disciplined in my practice back then. I quit playing altogether after high school. 25 or so...
  7. S

Suspension mounts or snare stands for rack toms?

I recently tried putting my sort of flat sounding 13" tom into a snare stand (a la Bonham). Previously it had been hanging from my cymbal stand by a suspension mount. Based on a VERY limited sample size (myself and the two family members I could trap and force into a blind listening test), it...
  8. S

Gretsch Catalina Club Rock--HOOP HELP

I have a Catalina Club Rock, 13", 16", 18" and 26". I cannot get a sound I'm happy with out of the 13" x 9". It has clear Evans heads (G2 batter, G1 resonant). I moved it from the cymbal mount (where it had the stock Gibraltar suspended mounting), and put it into a snare stand. That actually did...