Search results

1. mattyfatty76

20” kicks anyone?

Yup, I like my 20x14. It sounds great.
  2. mattyfatty76

Lollipop Graveyard

That's great that your can have this much fun with your fam!!! Outstanding performance!!! Thanks for sharing.
  3. mattyfatty76

Tommy Igoe - Groove 97

That was great! Nice job.
  4. mattyfatty76

Things you said you'd never do or never own...but you do now! (Music content only)

I never thought I would use "rods", but I did. I liked them for the situation I was in. I never thought I'd play country, but then I did. I kinda like it, I listen to it sometimes now. I never thought I'd ever stop playing, but things have happened that prevent me from playing. Once I...
  5. mattyfatty76

Rack tom stand base

I would buy a tom stand, or look for a used Ludwig cymbal stand with a bass that fits the tom mount Will the matching bass drum come with a tom mount? Maybe you could put one tom one each bass drum?
  6. mattyfatty76

How many brands of drum gear have YOU owned?

Drums: Rogers, Yamaha (5), Pacific, DW, Ludwig, Tama, Legend, Magstar Cymbals: Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Avanti, Stagg, Chamber, Hardware: Gibraltar, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Sticks: VicFirth, Regal Tip, ProMark, Headhunter(rods), Ahead, Heads: Remo, Evans, Aquarian
  7. mattyfatty76

Is this fair?

I agree with incrementalg. Unless you absolutely love the Ludwig set that is offered (finish, sizes), you could just sell the DW and buy a set of used Ludwigs in the configuration and finish that appeals to you (and most likely have some cash left over).
  8. mattyfatty76

Show Us Your Set List

Ha! I use a similar list. I also have columns for the year and genre just in case I want to create a specific type of set. Those are usually hidden though. I even have notes for the guitar player (i.e. what harmonica he's supposed to grab, where the capo is supposed to be, what the pedal setting...
  9. mattyfatty76

"Diggin' on James Brown" - Tower of Power - Performance/Transcription

This was great! Outstanding job! Thanks for sharing.
  10. mattyfatty76

Performing songs cold

Not often, but it has happened. Usually it would be something that the band has agreed to that is pretty straight forward. A variation of this I think would also be when someone requests a song that we as a band have never done, but we all have done it in other bands, or just know it.
  11. mattyfatty76

Stop keeping time on ride and hi-hats

If you haven't worked through this yet, I liked working through Linear Time Playing by Gary Chaffee, it's a fun book. It could help you think outside the box when you want to come up with something different. Be careful though, you may end up over doing the creativity. :)
  12. mattyfatty76

10 Best Reviewed Kits of 2019

Thanks for posting this video, it was great. I felt the honorable mention should have been in the top 10, and a few of the top 10 could have been honorable mentions 😁. I really liked the Ludwig Mahogany, British Drum Company, and Canopus Yaiba. That Gretsch was the coolest though. Again, thanks...
  13. mattyfatty76

Why do you play Zildjian?

I started out with Zildjian. They're made in my neck of the woods. When I got older I tried other brands, and still went back to Zildjian. I've always been satisfied with Zildjian cymbal sounds. I love my K's and K customs.
  14. mattyfatty76

Drum kit choise for hip hop

I once used a 22" bass drum with a Remo pinstripe, no front head, big ol' pillow inside, for a hip hop/rap project. It really depends on what your doing. I think Swisswards suggestion makes a lot of sense if you are looking for versatility though.
  15. mattyfatty76

A good snare batter head?

I use Evans: I have a G1 on one snare, a HD on another, and an HD Dry on another. They all sound great. If you are breaking Ambassadors, perhaps switching to a two ply will suit your style a little more. Emperor, Empreror X, G2, HD, Power Center ect ect.
  16. mattyfatty76

Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

Oh, wow. I like that finish, those look very nice.
  17. mattyfatty76

Cleaning autographed Sabian AA for display purposes

It looks great, I'd leave it as is.
  18. mattyfatty76

Disturbing the neighbors

Maybe you could get some SoundOff's...and Sundays can become "SoundOff Sunday's". Muting the drums for a day is better than not playing at all.
  19. mattyfatty76

First time you were paid to play?

1994, I was 17. I played in a punk/rock band, we played originals and some covers. The guitarists dad was part of a "motorcycle club", and got us an opening spot for an annual pig roast. It was also the first time I played in front of a very large, rowdy crowd. We were paid $100, and all the...
  20. mattyfatty76

A discussion on the benefits of open handed drumming for left handed drummers

Nothing wrong with it. I'm a lefty, I play open handed on a right handed set up.