Search results

1. basset52

Puresound Snare wires

I bought a set of Puresound 14 " 20 strand Brass snare wires to try them. I notice the end plates are slightly angled so when they sit on the snare head the end of the wires sit slightly raised above the snare head. I note the info from Puresound says this is to prevent the snare wires choking ...
  2. basset52

Evans EC Resonant v Evans Reso7 drum heads

I'm interested in these. Has anyone tried both and can describe the sound differences.?. I've Googled and searched here but can't find any direct comparison. I know structurally the Reso7 is 7 mil one ply and the EC resonant is 10 mil with the rings.
  3. basset52

Most recorded snare drums in modern music

I often hear it said that the Ludwig LM 402 is "one" of the most recorded snare drums over the past few decades. Out of interest, what are the others?
  4. basset52

Faulty head?

I bought a coated 16" Remo Vintage Ambassador recently to try on my floor tom. The top looked normal ie flat and smooth, but when I turned it over and I looked at the underneath side it had wrinkles in what I assume is the 2nd ply. In your view Is this normal , or has the second ply become...
  5. basset52

Places to take in live music in Boston and New York

My wife and I are holidaying in the USA and Canada for 6 weeks in just over a weeks time. Amongst a lot of travelling we will have 3 nights in Boston and 4 nights in New York. Whilst we have travelled extensively in the USA previously we have never been to those cities. Given the opportunity we...
  6. basset52

Advice on sourcing a Ludwig floor Tom

I'm wanting to source a second hand 16" x 16" Ludwig Floor tom. I want to add some versatility to my 2012 Ludwig Club Dates. I have the 20, 12, 14 configuration. I was lucky enough earlier this year to find a 13 x 9 Ludwig Legacy rack tom in Australia that I had re wrapped ( Precision Drum Co...
  7. basset52

Which to tune low, Which to tune medium to high

Hi All, I have two snares, a Brady Jarrah Ply 6 1/2 x14 and a Yamaha Recording Custom Brass 6 1/2 x 14. I want to tune one low and one medium high. Can I have opinions on which one would be better tuned low and which one would be better tuned medium high and the reasoning behind your view. If in...
  8. basset52

No of lugs on Gretsch RN2 13 x 9 Tom

I have ordered a new 13" x 9" Tom to go with my RN2 Gretsch Renown kit. It will arrive in a few weeks. Looking at the Gretsch site I think my eyes tell me the 13" Tom has 6 lugs top and bottom rather than the 5 lugs on the 10" and 12 " toms. Can someone clarify this for me? It makes no...
  9. basset52

cymbal choice for gig

Our band is going to play a lengthy gig in the near future. It is a large hall. We haven't played there before or anything like it since we formed a couple of years ago. We have played 3 to 4 times in smaller venues and there was a backline kit provided all mic'ed up. The last time I played...
  10. basset52

70 's Ludwig Supraphonic 14x5

Hi All, I have an opportunity to get one of these at a good price. I've searched through the threads here and it seems they are an iconic snare. I've also noted they come with some issues ie the snare mechanism and sometimes some pitting on the shell. Are they iconic as such and is there other...
  11. basset52

Bill Detamore - top bloke.

A while ago a Pork Pie snare came up on Gumtree in my area ( your Craigslist) at a reasonable price. Knowing the Pork Pie reputation from this forum I quickly snapped it up as I wanted a good quality snare. The seller didn't have much info on it at the time. I finally got around to emailing...
  12. basset52

Die Cast hoop slightly warped

Hi All, I recently purchased a secondhand set of Tama starclassic birch/bubinga drums. I bought new heads for all the drums as the old ones were not in good nick. In the process of fitting the new heads I checked all the bearing edges and hoops. All OK except one of the diecast hoops on the 12"...
  13. basset52

What did I learn

Went to a pub last night with my wife. I chatted with with one of the house band members during their first set break. During the discussion I related how I was a drummer but hadn't played live for 40 years, got back into it 2 years ago when I retired and now jam with a few old buddies. A set...
  14. basset52

USA bound

Well, in 3 days time my wife and I will be visiting the US of A. Heading to Nashville for one week initially for a wedding of a close friend. Then to Denver to check out the Rockies. Then driving via Yellowstone to Seattle for a few days Train to Vancouver. Then a flight back to Phoenix...
  15. basset52

Yamaha Stage Custom Detuning quicker?

Hi All, I am considering buying a used Yamaha Stage Custom Birch 3 piece circa 2008. I will look at in a couple of days. My current set is a mid 80's Tama Swingstar set I bought following retirement 18 months ago when I came back to drumming after a 40 year layoff. I have no experience with...
  16. basset52

Visiting Nashville

Hi , My wife and I are visiting Nashville middle of June for a wedding for about a week. So looking for some must sees in that fair city and surrounds. We are both 64 so all night clubbing is out! Wouldn't mind picking up some live music with a meal/drink( I'm an aussie so it might be 2 or 3...
  17. basset52

back in business

Hi All, been lurking a while but never posted an intro. Back into business after a long lay off. Played in cover band in late 60's early 70's. Then family, work etc took over and sold gear. Never lost the passion though and really missed playing but life is a compromise, particularly with a...
  18. basset52

old and returned

Hi, Returned to playing after a 40 year lay off. Played in a covers band late 60's early 70's. Marriage, kids, divorce new family blah blah meant I sold gear and stopped. Made redundant from job last year , now 62 more time and thought I would get back into it. Now jamming with a few other...