Search results

1. Juniper

RIP Jimmy Cobb

It’s being reported this morning that unfortunately he has passed away at 91 years of age. I’ll be shortly putting on Kind of Blue in tribute. RIP
  2. Juniper

New Drum History Book - worth checking out

Not seen this mentioned on here yet but for those that like to read up on the history of our instrument there's been an impressive & comprehensive book recently published called Kick It - A Social History of the Drum Kit. Comes in at an impressive 320 pages and covers the history over the last...
  3. Juniper

Free Hudson Music book

Received an email earlier from Hudson Music who are giving away a free digital book, made up of samples from some of their existing publications as below. Contains content from the below books Steve Smith: Pathways of Motion Mark Guiliana: Exploring Your Creativity on the Drumset Tommy Igoe...
  4. Juniper

The bands latest single machu picchu and Madonna's 'Material Girl'

The bands latest single and B-Side cover were released yesterday. Recorded last August at Tilehouse Studios, London and the the final songs with me as the drummer for The Amber Bugs as I depart for incoming fatherhood duties. Finally able to share the B-Side cover of Madonnas 'Material Girl'...
  5. Juniper

"Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - Leaving music for a while

.....To quote John Lennon in the title. So last weekend I had to give my band my notice that I'm leaving and they had to start looking for a replacement after nearly five years together. Life's changed in the last few months and there are priorities to be taken into consideration and I no...
  6. Juniper

My Bands New Single - My Jazzy Valentine

My band The Amber Bugs released our latest single the last few days, one we're all very happy with and a bit of a different sound for us. Released online on Valentine's Day, exactly 12 months to the day since the song, My Jazzy Valentine, was first conceived and recorded back in August 2018 at...
  7. Juniper

The Art of Drumming - TV Show

For those unaware the U.K. has been blessed with a TV documentary series in recent weeks called 'The Art of Drumming' which is currently being shown on Sky Arts. It's a four part series, each episode around 1hour 15minutes, covering the roots of popular drumming, the musicianship involved and...
  8. Juniper

Sabian HH Vanguard Ride- one hell of a cymbal

For years I’ve been searching for ‘that’ ride cymbal, the one that does it all. I’ve got a number of rides but they all do something different. They are either washy, dry, heavy, crash-able but I’ve been looking for years for one that does it all. I was beginning...
  9. Juniper

Cool drum facts you've heard late

As the thread title suggests a thread for cool drum based facts you've only heard or even realised late. Mine is: I always assumed/heard that Buddy Rich's final drum kit was his restored Slingerland Radio King set and played this up to his passing. However a couple of months ago I stumbled on...
  10. Juniper

Another kit share story

Another thread for the potential pitfalls of a gear share situation. Played a gig last night (poor show but that's another story) and get to the venue. We were told beforehand there was a kit at the venue so all the drummers needed to bring was snare, pedal and cymbals- the usual setup for...
  11. Juniper

My band’s latest Single/Live video

Hello This video got uploaded earlier. Latest video from our recent recording sessions back in November. Bit of a fun song that changes time signatures frequently and a lot. Mostly 3/4 and 4/4. Same with the last one recorded to analogue/tape. It’s about the perception of Ginger haired...
  12. Juniper

New live music video

So back in November my band went to Mike Oldfields studio near London and entered sessions for our two next singles. Over the last few days we released the first song digitally (iTunes/Spotify...etc) and today we released the separately recorded live video. The recorded version took quite a...
  13. Juniper

Back in the studio tomorrow, cannot wait

Very excited for tomorrow, my band The Amber Bugs are back in the studio after a couple of months rehearsing/demoing and tomorrow we are recording our follow up to our 2016 EP. The format will be challenging to say to the least in terms of time deadlines. Each day we are there we have 8 hours...
  14. Juniper

Pearl Maple 12x7 Soprano Snare

I happened to play one earlier at my drum teachers studio and I think I've fallen somewhat smitten with this little stunner. I don't own any snares other than 14" but now I'm thinking of getting one of these. It was surprising full of body and a great tone from its 8 ply maple shell. Never...
  15. Juniper

Another acoustic live band video

Recently I posted a video of a live session/video my band filmed of a cover of a Ryan Adams song 'Do you still love me?' A video from the same session has been released this evening, this time of an oringinal song we wrote especially for this session called 'Relax' Some syncing issues here as...
  16. Juniper

New stripped back band video

Little video the band did a few weeks ago with Wurd Sessions. Stripped back cover of a newish Ryan Adams song 'Do You Still Love Me'. Our frontman using his Guitarvoi which is a pretty unorthodox instrument with a very particular sound (which we all love and have been waiting to use it in this...
  17. Juniper

Even the pros have one gear mishaps

Randomly stumbled onto this clip earlier today. Mark Guiliana and his band on stage in Japan recently having no end of gear mishaps/issues. Drum and keyboard problems all over the place. See 1m44, 3m13 & 4m16 https://youtu.be/eEduiAbXEmA Good to see the band react to the issues with good...
  18. Juniper

Song from Live Session

About a month ago my main band did a live session in East London for a YouTube channel called The Pad TV. It was filmed on a (very) cold October evening in their Warehouse HQ over in deepest East London. Another song is due soon but if you care to check it out the link is thus...
  19. Juniper

London Drum Show 12th & 13th November 2016

Time is nearly upon us for this years event, can't believe it's less than 3 weeks away now (not that I'm counting or anything...) looking forward to catching up with people there and drooling over gear. Who's going? What are you looking forward to seeing there? Drummer-wise- I can't wait for...
  20. Juniper

My Bands Brand New EP

My newest band’s debut EP has now been uploaded to iTunes, Spotify and Soundcloud. We had great fun recording this EP. We took to Toe Rag Studios in London in late July, the place of which is a completely analogue studio with no modern recording comforts whatsoever. Inside the control...