Search results

1. TOMANO

My Farewell To A King

Just some thoughts I had upon hearing of Neil's passing. https://www.miketomano.com/single-post/2020/01/13/Farewell-To-A-King
  2. TOMANO

Killer Bands: Gone But Not Forgotten!

Spinnin' some vinyl & CD tonight of great bands that are no longer together that kicked my ass: Smithereens, Jellyfish, Sixpence None The Richer, London Suede, Captain Beyond, Magazine, 10cc,
  3. TOMANO

Inspirational Quotes

“Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse.” – Winston Churchill
  4. TOMANO

Suggestions For Home Recording Equipment.

Looking for recommendations on home recording equipment: software, etc. Budget-minded. Thanks!
  5. TOMANO

Defining "Feel"

Had a student ask me to define what "feel" means in relation to drumming/playing music. It began a series of discussions. He is a big Vinnie fan. I pointed out VC's playing on Sting's "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You." I explained that it's not about WHAT Vinnie is capable of playing; rather what...
  6. TOMANO

New Terry Bozzio Interview - Shameless Plug.

Had to chance to interview one of my favorite musicians, Terry Bozzio, on my show. The interview begins in the second half, but feel free to enjoy my rambling up to it. http://radiomisfits.com/mike-tomano-show-051115/ Peace, MT
  7. TOMANO

ALBUMS THAT HAD AN LASTING IMPACT ON YOUR DRUMMING

I was going through my record / CD collection this week trying to find albums that inspired or influenced my life as a drummer. Here's some that stuck out... Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti (John Bonham) Black Sabbath - Vol. 4 & Sabotage (Bill Ward) Roxy Music - Siren (Paul Thomspon) & Avalon...
  8. TOMANO

SITTING IN BUDDY RICH'S CHAIR

I thought my Drummerworld pals would enjoy this interview I did last week with Gregg Potter, who is now drumming for The Buddy Rich Big Band. http://onstagereview.com/drummer-gregg-potter-sits-on-the-kings-throne/ Peace, MT
  9. TOMANO

UPCOMING DRUM GUESTS ON MY WEBCAST

Pardon a shameless plug; but I believe it will be of interest here... I produce webcasts on my site, www.miketomano.com - Currently episodes of my outdoor adventure show "Wild & Free" are available. (If you like to fish, hunt, camp, hike, shoot, etc. check it out!) My team and I are now...
  10. TOMANO

TAMA SILVERSTARS & TUNING

Of all the drums I've owned and played over the years (Tama, Ludwig, Pearl, Sonor, Premier & Yamaha), the Tama Silverstars I picked up last week (on a whim) are the easiest to tune with an unbelievable deep resonance. They sound terrific. I look forward to playing out & recording with them...
  11. TOMANO

10 Great Drum Albums...Random List

Moving records and cds around some shelving this week. As I went through the collection, I made mental notes of a few to share here as "great drum albums." Feel free to add your list... 1. Missing Persons - Spring Session M: Terry Bozzio plays a very tight groove through this new wave classic...
  12. TOMANO

DANG IT!!!

Haven't had my Yamahas for two weeks and I've already dropped a tom on the bass drum. Dented the rim and a slight mar on the bass drum. It's inevitable with drums, but DAMN, I wish I could've had 'em unscathed for at least a month! Peace, MT
  13. TOMANO

BRUSHES WITH GREATNESS

I wanted to start a thread about events in our lives where we found ourselves amongst drumming greatness. I'll share a story to begin. Early 90s. I was hosting an afternoon program on WKDC, a small AM Jazz radio station in Elmhurst, IL. We had a rabid following in the area. We produced a...
  14. TOMANO

THE SPIRIT

This past Saturday, I attended a recital at the music school I teach at. Area musicians stopped by for food, fun and jamming for a diverse audience from the Chicagoland area. I got to play with some local blues guys, up-and-coming hotshots and a couple of very accomplished jazz cats. The other...
  15. TOMANO

DESERT ISLAND PICKS

I'm a fan of lists. It's a great insight into someone and a way to get turned on to great entertainment. So, the cliched Desert Island Picks thread... Name 5 - 10 Albums, Movies and Books you would take for a stay... MINE: ALBUMS: 1. Black Sabbath - "Sabotage" 2. Pink Floyd - "Animals" 3...
  16. TOMANO

Need New Drums - Suggestions?

So, I donated my Sonors and Premiers to a music program for kids. Now, I'm getting calls for gigs. Need new drums. I'm out of the loop on what's hot and what's not. I've played Mapex and dig 'em. Played a used Yamaha Recording Custom kit, but the toms are huge and the price is beyond me. I...
  17. TOMANO

Bass Drum Technique - Using Toes

All of us have technique that develops on its own. Certain things are unique to us as individuals. I have always used my toes in my bass drum playing. I have accomplished great feats of speed with one bass pedal by playing with loose action and a flat foot, utilizing my toes at the very front...
  18. TOMANO

Yusef Lateef

The time I spent with this man changed my life. He was an exemplary human being and true artist. I was so honored to interview him and, subsequently, begin a friendship.He left this world on December 23rd. For those who might enjoy it; here's an interview I conducted with him on January 17...
  19. TOMANO

ANY OUTDOORSMEN & WOMEN HERE?

In addition to music, I spend a large portion of my time in the woods and on the water. I hunt and fish, hike and enjoy the shooting sports. Wondering if any of my fellow Drummerworlders are into the Great Outdoors lifestyle? Peace, MT
  20. TOMANO

SONOR 3005 JUNGLE KIT BADGE QUESTION

I just picked up a sweet little Sonor Jungle Kit for next to nothing. I notice that the badges are puffy plastic decals instead of the usual metal tapped logos. Anyone know why this is? Thanks for the input. Peace, MT