Search results

1. IBitePrettyHard

Rick Dior demos 35 amazing snares from his collection

Very interesting collection of drums along with great commentary. Perfect video for people who are cooped up during the quarantine. Sit back, relax and watch 1hr 45m of snare goodness. Try not to get G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome)
  2. IBitePrettyHard

What exactly is a "Buttery" sound?

"Buttery" is being used more and more to describe certain cymbals and yet the dictionaries haven't caught up with what it means. I have a general idea of what a "buttery" cymbal sounds like. (They sound great to me!) But I can't quite put my finger on what makes a cymbal sound buttery. I've...
  3. IBitePrettyHard

New Ludwig Speed Flyer and Speed King reviewed by Carter McLean

The Speed Flyer looks like a pedal I would definitely use (if I wasn't already happy with my Tama Speed Cobra). Pedals have improved so much in the past 25 years, everyone is making great pedals now it seems. I know some of you like the Speed King, but just watching Carter play it I can tell...
  4. IBitePrettyHard

The ride Joe Morello used on Take Five

5. IBitePrettyHard

Dixon's new North American maple kit for $850??

Holy cow. Kits made from North American maple shells are typically around $1400 to $1600 at the very least. Is this the cheapest North American maple kit? https://www.guitarcenter.com/Dixon/Dixon-Cornerstone-Maple-4-Piece-Shell-Pack-Piano-Black-1500000306860.gc
  6. IBitePrettyHard

Benny Greb's Signature Brass Snare DEMO

Benny has a knack for making great sounding snares. To me it sounds articulate and throaty and very dry, (even with the muffling turned off). I can see it being too dry for some, but I think it sounds amazing. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure this snare needs all that muffling. It's...
  7. IBitePrettyHard

New "WaFARER" line from INDe Drums

Very interesting. USA made Maple or Aluminum kits starting at $999. Bass drums are 10" deep! https://www.indedrum.com/drum-kits/wafarer
  8. IBitePrettyHard

"There is no wrong way to set up a drum kit"

...except maybe this one.
  9. IBitePrettyHard

Sakae in 2020

It's hard to find information on Sakae drums. Maybe it's their lack of marketing or maybe they barely have a presence in the US/UK market, I dunno. This video is the first I've seen from them in a while. What are your thoughts? P.S. I hate the new badges
  10. IBitePrettyHard

Ultimate Remo Bass Drum Head Comparison VIDEO

Timpano Percussion is back with another comparison video! This is a great video for reference.
  11. IBitePrettyHard

Ugly or not?

Steve Maxwell asked Gretsch to make this 'Mardi Gras' finish exclusively for his shop. Apparently it hearkens back to the 50s and 60s kits he grew up with? I think it's ugly. .....but then I thought about the nostalgia factor. If I had grown up watching Buddy Rich play a kit with the Mardi...
  12. IBitePrettyHard

DW's $4000 True Cast Bell Bronze snare!

My opinion: It's a gorgeous drum! A work of art! .....but it sounds terrible. In fact, I think it's the worst sounding bell brass snare I've ever heard. I'm not even kidding. The tone is all upper midrange, no bottom end to speak of, and has no real "crack" either, despite having an...
  13. IBitePrettyHard

Question about this Supraphonic

I saw this Supraphonic listed on the Guitar Center website for $229 ($100 off!) during Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and for some stupid reasoned I balked. The day after Cyber Monday it was still there and I realized how stupid I was for waiting. It's a 100th Anniversary Supra from 2009, and...
  14. IBitePrettyHard

What kit is this, and should I get it?

This Premier bop kit popped up in my area. I don't really NEED a bop kit, but I just.......you guys know how it is. What's up Bo! It looks like it'd be useful to have for smaller gigs where I would've used my Breakbeats kit. It says Made in England. Is this a Premier XPK or APK? It looks...
  15. IBitePrettyHard

Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals?

Post any deals you come across! Someone is compiling many of the drum deals here... https://drummingreview.com/black-friday-cyber-monday-drum-deals/ Have any of you found good drum deals on Black Friday in the past?
  16. IBitePrettyHard

Does the existence of this drum kit seem crazy to anyone else?

This DW Collector's kit seems hilarious to me. It sounds great and looks like a blast to play.........but who would buy a prebuilt monstrosity like this? Especially in these colors? Wouldn't someone who pays $12k to $15k for a massive kit want their own sizes and colors? Who would buy this...
  17. IBitePrettyHard

Are we living in a "Buyer's market?"

Several of you have recently made reference to being in a buyer's drum market. Is this really true? I'm not saying I doubt it, there's a lot of used drums on the market and choices for new drums has only grown. But is it distinctly different from 5, 10, 20 years ago? Has anything changed? I...
  18. IBitePrettyHard

Dixon Drums demoed by Gregg Bissonette

Thoughts?
  19. IBitePrettyHard

Why aren't free-floating drum designs (like Guru or Sleishman) more popular?

I'm referring to drums with lugs that are not attached directly to the shell, or have no lugs at all. No drilling in the shells. Drums from Guru and Sleishman sound phenomenal. Why isn't everybody making them? @Andy
  20. IBitePrettyHard

Fascinating raw/uncut vid of Turkish craftsmen making Bosphorus cymbal

Mesmerizing. Every hammer blow, all the lathing.....it's all there. See just how many hammer blows (thousands) and repeated trips to the lathe it takes. I wish Zildjian and Sabian would do raw videos like this instead of the 2 minute, highly edited commercials that show almost none of the...