Search results

1. Hewitt2

Igoe 14-day Challenge

Any of you doing it? I did day 1 yesterday and watched his livestream via Instagram. If you missed it he left it up on his feed. Each day has its own assignment with a daily requirement to do the lifetime warm-up 3X daily at slow/middle/fast tempos. Looks like the lessons are structured so that...
  2. Hewitt2

Jam Space Etiquette

Hi everyone - not sure if this has asked before but I don't know if any of you have experience dealing with a band member who is complaining about the sound of the drums. This all started when he came to a jam session a few months ago without hearing protection and positioned himself close to my...
  3. Hewitt2

Acrolite P85 woes

Like clockwork, every few days the top screw of my late 70s Acrolite P85 pops off, resulting in the strainer being barely affixed to the drum. It’s getting really frustrating as I have to take off the top head, re-attach the nut to the screw and tune the drum again. Anyone else have this...
  4. Hewitt2

Recording Yourself

For those of you lucky enough to practice for 2+ hours per day, do you record and listen back to your entire practice session or only what you’re extra focused on? it can be hard enough to find a good amount of time to practice. Finding more time outside of that to listen to my entire practice...
  5. Hewitt2

Breaking-up Practice Routine

For those of you that practice 1+ hours per day, do you prefer to break up your routine or do it all in one continuous session? I’ve done both at different points of my career (sometimes out of necessity). I find that the optimal point is practicing in 45-minute blocks which keeps me focused...
  6. Hewitt2

Best Approach to re-build kit

I've been out of the game for a few years and looking for the optimal and most cost-conscious way to re-build a good sounding and practical kit. My approach is to prioritize my spend to the most critical items first and work downwards from there. There is obviously some subjectivity to it, but...
  7. Hewitt2

Stick Control Flam Beats Section

Not sure if it’s ever been asked here before, but anyone know why there are so many different flam exercises in the book, especially when compared to the other sections? I don’t know, is ~200 different flam exercises overkill or is there some hidden benefit to working through each and every one?
  8. Hewitt2

My Playing - The Horror!

Hi everyone - I took the plunge and started more consistently recording myself playing and listening to the results a few months ago. While my sense of time is generally ok when playing along to music or a metronome, drumless tracks are a massive challenge to me. This is a little surprising as...
  9. Hewitt2

Tom stand help

Hi team, Are any of you aware of Tom stands that don't leverage a conventional mounting system and do not attach via the holes of the shell? Reason being, I own a Sonor Sonic Plus kit where there is no shell-to-tom mount contact ie the holder is screwed onto the lugs (I can attach a pic if...
  10. Hewitt2

When to Use Metronome

versus drumless tracks versus complete songs. Any thoughts or advice? I'm heavy on the metronome practice. I also play-along to album tracks to help to keep my musicality up as I am not currently playing with others. But I'm not sure whether any of you guys have a more formal methodology as...
  11. Hewitt2

Selling my drum gear

Hi everyone, Due primarily to worsening financial pressures, new baby on the way, less and less time to play, etc. it looks like I am going to have to sell my gear. To say this is depressing is a definite understatement but it is what it is. I have several drum sets, about 15 cymbals or so...
  12. Hewitt2

Ludwig LW4322 question

I am looking for a plain coated Ludwig batter head for my bass drum. Coming across the Ludwig site this looks to be a potential candidate, but upon closer inspection, there is a massive script of Ludwig emblazoned at the middle of the head. Are any of you aware if there are Ludwig bass drum...
  13. Hewitt2

Jamming with new band questions

Hi all, I know this topic has been done to death. I looked at a few past threads but wanted your insights as to my situation. In short, after a 20+ year break, I have been playing again for the last few years and am looking for some people to jam with. So I answered a recent Craiglist ad by a...
  14. Hewitt2

What's Your Signature Fill?

Realizing that a drum "fill" is a bit of a four letter word around here (ha!), I think we all have that one drum fill we strategically keep in our back pocket until we let loose and totally wow and astound our family, friends, loved ones, soon-to-be girlfriends/boyfriends, and/or sworn enemies...
  15. Hewitt2

Question for You Open-handed Drummers

So I started fully playing open-handed a few years back (weak hand leading on hi-hats and ride) to even out my hands and have unobstructed access to the kit at all times. Well, I am now at the point where my weaker hand is in fact faster than my dominant hand. The odd thing, though, is that...
  16. Hewitt2

What Drum Moments Give You the Chills

Thought it would be fun to share those timeless drum moments that you listen to time and time again that still give you the chills. Maybe we'll get some ideas of new stuff to listen to: - ZZ Top - Jesus Left Chicago from Tres Hombres - The open quarter notes Frank Beard lays into on the hats...
  17. Hewitt2

Help installing new snare wires on P-83

Not sure if its my inexperience installing new wires, the complexities of the P-83 throw-off, the generic snare wire that comes with the puresounds, or perhaps a combination of all of the above, but I am having a hell of a time installing my new puresounds onto my vintage Acrolite and keeping...
  18. Hewitt2

Sabian Cymbal Stamp?

Hi all, General question for you all: do all Sabian cymbals have the Sabian stamp imprint? I have a bunch of Sabian cymbals going all across Sabian's various generations and all have the imprint. The one exception to this rule is the AAX Memphis Ride, which is properly labelled but no imprint...
  19. Hewitt2

Hey Lefty Drummers

Realizing that this squarely falls within the context of "first world" problems, any of you get bummed out being a lefty drummer, particularly when using rehearsal space or playing on open mics? There have been a few situations over the last few weeks where I have felt like the odd man out, and...
  20. Hewitt2

Playing with hiccups

Hi all, Kind of a silly question, but any of you ever had to contend with a major bout of hiccups while gigging? We've all had to deal with illness, anxiety, or tightness, while playing live. However, for me at least, hiccups is the mother of all conditions. It was like my brain shut off each...