Search results

1. B

A question about in ears.

Nothing wrong with using a different tip, or even type of tip, for each ear. Maybe a plastic insert would be more comfortable in just the one ear. My right canal is pretty narrow so nothing but molded IEMs fits comfortably and delivers sound consistently. If you were thinking about it, a...
  2. B

Faded/yellowed finishes

So I just took a few min to try and clean the DW white broken glass kit. Glass cleaner does does nothing to remove the yellowing. What I thought was simply dirt is actually yellowed wrap. I’m told the 10” tom wasn’t purchased with the rest of the kit; it was added on much later. So that’s why...
  3. B

Faded/yellowed finishes

I wasn’t, but I will now. :)
  4. B

Faded/yellowed finishes

The white sparkle DWs aren’t mine; they belong to a band I play with. But 99.9% of gigs are indoors, and out door festival gigs are shaded. Still could be UV damage, but the discoloring is all over, even under the bass drum, which means it’s probably from fog machines and dirty stage hands...
  5. B

Wrapped drums and enclosed trailers

The problem is that not all glues, and wraps, are created equally. Generic wood glue will melt at 120 degrees, but Gorilla Glue melts around 200. Industrial glues and adhesives can get up to 300 degrees. Who knows what temperature a wrap will get up to, except the manufacturer (and they may not...
  6. B

Wrapped drums and enclosed trailers

Been playing a wrapped, white sparkle DW kit that has lived its entire life in a trailer. Each drum is in a separate SKB hard case. The wrap has yellowed somewhat from 10 years or so of stage use, but the wrap and seams are 100% fine, and will clean up to new if someone puts the time in. We're...
  7. B

Critical guidance needed

Don't worry. There isn't. Nope. There's *some* technique going on there, but it's at the amateur/hobbyist level, at best. This is the question someone asks, right before they quit.
  8. B

Need help with choosing my first acoustic drumkit

Go with whichever is cheapest, and save your money for good cymbals. A DW5000 is a nice pedal, bit so is a basic Yamaha. The Pearl pedal that comes with the Export or Decade kits is pretty crap. So factor in another $100 for decent pedal. Down the road, you can expect to spend $600 to $1000 on...
  9. B

For those of you who tune to notes....question

For example, on a 16” floor tom, if I keep the reso higher, then it’s overtones galore, and the batter head is pretty loose. So I usually bring the batter up and the reso down. I’m doing this and checking overall pitch with a keyboard. I’m not keeping track of individual heads at this point. And...
  10. B

How to be one of the 10 richest drummer at a young age ?

Asking a bunch of drummers if they'll help *you* become a wealthy, famous drummer -- is pretty damn rich already.
  11. B

Hey Eric, do you find that this approach works across drums of all (reasonable) dimensions? I usually find I have to tweak the relationship between batter and reso, as the drums get larger and deeper. Doh! I meant to type F#. And you're the only person I've ever come across to also know that...
  12. B

OTOH, if you wanted call-to-post tuning for some reason, the D-F-A-D (16-14-12-10) works well for those sizes.
  13. B

Critical guidance needed

Ok, I'll bite. Your friend spends way too much time on self-expression, and not nearly enough time copying other drummers, or learning fundamental styles of music. Instead, he's got a few "beats"/"patterns"/"combinations", and he's throwing them at a song, hoping they'll stick. Because he...
  14. B

Single Stroke Chops - Good Book?

It would really help if you posted an example of the type of playing you want to become able to do.
  15. B

Recording - The unrelenting task master

Ignore the other players and stay with the click. Be as solid and even as possible, and make them adjust to you. There really is no other way, and for a while it will sound bad. Over time, the other players will hopefully address their own tendencies, and the whole thing will improve. it’s a...
  16. B

Recording - The unrelenting task master

Yes, there are quite a few of them — rushing is very, very common among drummers who haven’t specially addressed this issue. And what works for one player, may not work for another, so it’s important to try a few different approaches. Drilling quarters at 40 bpm for an hour isn’t going to hurt...
  17. B

Ah, ok. So you’re more interested in building up vocabulary to use in fills. Most of your vocabulary should come from transcribing the sort of playing that you like. When you do this, you also get some context for the fill as well, which will help you choose another appropriate moment for that...
  18. B

1. There's a few great pages of single stroke stuff in Chaffee's Technique Patterns. 2. In Bill Bachman's Rudimental Logic, there's a breakdown of the Heirta, with at least a handful of "builder" exercises. 3. In Syncopation, the few pages of 8th and 16ths exercises -- some of these lines have...
  19. B

From programmed original to live acoustic

You're on the right track. When you have, for example, a snare fill, with some spaces between the notes, then you can "connect" the snare notes by playing hi-hat notes in between. There are two ways to do this: 1. Keep playing all the hi-hat notes with the right, and play all the snare notes...
  20. B

How is Carlton Barrett playing the Hi-Hats/Cymbals?

Yep, he's playing the top of the hi-hat, on the bow, and then for a moment playing the bell of the hi-hat cymbal.