Search results

1. GeoB

Ugly or not?

Absolutely! I've always stuck with silver sparkle because when the lighting changes so does the color of the drums. One of the coolest drums I saw was a set in a club with low tungsten lighting and it was a swirly red wrap. Very interesting, it matched the torchiness of the casual that evening.
  2. GeoB

Ugly or not?

When I was a kid, mid 60s there was a music store IIRC in Lynnwood Washington that I used to go to occasionally (I was still a drum pad student at this point...) in the middle of the showroom at this store on a round riser with red velvet tablecloth was a set of Gretsch Marti Gras wrap... I...
  3. GeoB

Shoulder Injury

Does your doctor recommending physical therapy at this point or at is he talking surgery and then physical therapy? I was given a choice years ago of 70% either with the surgery, pain and suffering Etc or... 70% with physical therapy and no surgery. That that was easy decision and without...
  4. GeoB

Anyone clean just one side of an old old cymbal? I did...

Call the bookkeeper....
  5. GeoB

I have many cymbals
  6. GeoB

Talent level and band option

I'm a pretty good drummer, but I'm a much much better electric bassist. And when I'm in a band situation I'm usually on the electric Bass. There are a lot of drummers that just don't have good time, can't keep time or don't have time at all. Rock steady bread and butter drums with snap? Most...
  7. GeoB

INSTAGRAM / YOUTUBE DRUMMING CULTURE: LOVE IT? HATE IT? WHY?

Sticking play alongs with Stone seems to be a go-to for me.
  8. GeoB

Anyone have “frozen shoulder”?

I went through an encapsulated adhesion of the left shoulder which came on from inactivity due to a shattered left wrist. Resistance bands, lots of additional PT and a couple of cortisone injections, and time.
  9. GeoB

Is the secondhand market as slow as it is because of the lockdowns??

I shattered my wrist in January 2020... it isn't the same as before, not by a long shot. So... I'm editing my stuff. Hope I can move some strings... drumming is tolerable, and sticking exercises are helping a bit.
  10. GeoB

INSTAGRAM / YOUTUBE DRUMMING CULTURE: LOVE IT? HATE IT? WHY?

YT is a tool. It helps me work through the moguls.
  11. GeoB

What are you listening to right now?

Step It Bill Connors Tom Kennedy Dave Weckle
  12. GeoB

When do you retire a pair of sticks? (No breaks)

When I sand them down, throw them in the dishwasher and employ them over pots of pasta to keep the pasta water from bubbling over.
  13. GeoB

Another dumb question: What makes a "great" ride cymbal?

For me ride cymbals include the hats. With crashes falling under the accent catagory. Hi hats aside, I prefer a 22inch thin ride. I have had rock rides, 18,20,22 inch rides. Sweet crash/rides, heavy and light rides. I'm not a basher... so a light, thin 22" ride does it for me. Currently I'm...
  14. GeoB

I bury my cymbals, sometimes for years. Flush with water, coat with Breakfree CLP.
  15. GeoB

Another dumb question: What makes a "great" ride cymbal?

And some kits are tuned to sound like wet cardboard. Cymbals have to sound right, out of box.
  16. GeoB

Garden variety DW Maple shells. Deal or no deal?

That is what I was asking. And it is what I would be looking for in a DW pack. Although my kit is a mix of mapes and birch. I prefer toms in birch.
  17. GeoB

Garden variety DW Maple shells. Deal or no deal?

Keller shell DWs?
  18. GeoB

What's your latest purchase?

A roll of Gaffers Tape, stick wax, new 30 wire snares, 2b and 7a freestyle firths.
  19. GeoB

What's a good brass snare drum you guys recommend?

A hammered metal shell. Hammering counters overtones. Also cottonballs replacing those little foam pads inside the lugs to keep the springs from resonating. Hammered Bronze or copper would be nice too. I'm unsure if DIY hammering would crack the chrome on a chromed shell.