Search results

1. Alain Rieder

Can "feel" be taught or does it more likely come from within?

It comes from listening more than anything else, so one of the ways it may be taught is by listening to recordings, and discussing them. Also you have to be aware that written music has to be interpreted. I've seen students who had a decent feel, and kind of lost it for a while when starting...
  2. Alain Rieder

French.

I do have an Asba hi-hat pedal for sale. A real piece of history too, I'll take pictures.
  3. Alain Rieder

French.

In the 70s, many pro drummers in France played Capelle pedals. Especially the hi-hat pedal with the same board, and I played one for a few years myself, but I don't have it anymore. The problem with this bass-drum pedal is that there's a real risk of injury with that thing that holds the...
  4. Alain Rieder

An App to Write My Music on a Song Sheet

You can play to an app and have it writing notes, but then you'll have to correct many things that the app interpreted wrong. To do so you must know how to write and read. If you would like to play to an app, so you can learn how to read, it won't work. You'll have to learn how to read first...
  5. Alain Rieder

Stick Control

Yawn… Maybe he was more interested in music !? I suspect that he didn’t have a computer. Or maybe he just wanted to save trees !?
  6. Alain Rieder

Herta Variations in 3/4

Glad that you like the exercise, thanks! I'm not sure what a "normal" herta is, but I think it's better to not overplay the 32nd notes. It is also cool to try different options. I'm writing a whole book based on what inspired this exercise, and there's a whole section on ways to play this in 4/4...
  7. Alain Rieder

Time Signatures: "blanket rules" regarding meter + related question (in CAPS at bottom)

Maybe he realised that he doesn't understand what he intends to teach.
  8. Alain Rieder

Time Signatures: "blanket rules" regarding meter + related question (in CAPS at bottom)

The rhythmic system we use is based on : 1. Three basic simple meters. They are called 2/4, 3/4 and 4/4. 2/4 has two binary beats (binary = divisible by 2 3/4 has three binary beats 4/4 has four binary beats 2. Three basic compound meters. They are called 6/8, 9/8 and 12/8. 6/8 has two ternary...
  9. Alain Rieder

The names of the notes in English are fractions of a whole note, that's what it is actually. 6/8 is in 2, that's right. In French we say "binary" (binaire) for straight eighth. We say "ternary" or compound (mesure ternaire, mesure composée) for 6/8, 9/8 and 12/8. We say "ternary phrasing"...
  10. Alain Rieder

Closest Match to Bill Stewart Ride?

Here’s mine
  11. Alain Rieder

Why did the birch Recording Custom bass drums not sound great?

OK 😝 I still like mine ! I have a 18x14, two 20x14 and a 20x18 from Japan, and a 20x16 from China. I’ll have to find out which one is the worst, and it will still have a good resale value 😩 I’m going to see Gadd from close in a few days. Does he still have a maple?
  12. Alain Rieder

Why did the birch Recording Custom bass drums not sound great?

I’ve never thought mine didn’t sound good. Gadd played a maple bass drum before he went with Yamaha, so maybe he just wanted a maple bass drum.
  13. Alain Rieder

Herta Variations in 3/4

I chose to write them in this manner to imply that those 32nd notes should be played a little lighter than the others, while not being ghost note either. Grace notes could be used to achieve almost the same result, depending on the tempo, but they're meant not to have a rhythmic value, so I...
  14. Alain Rieder

Herta Variations in 3/4

This is an original and powerful exercise, have fun with it and check out my books! If you like this exercise, you're going to love my next book! Learn the patterns separately, then read the page from top to bottom, repeating each pattern, 4 or 8 times.
  15. Alain Rieder

Zildjian designed the Dry Complex based on modifications made on other cymbals, by Bill Stewart himself. In particular, I remember reading that he had put a layer of varnish on the bottom edge of his cymbals, and this is what Zildjian wanted to imitate by not polishing the bottom edge of the Dry...
  16. Alain Rieder

Drum mat/rug

The Protection Racket folding drum mat seems to be very good. https://www.protectionracket.com/products/accessories/item/folding-drum-mat
  17. Alain Rieder

Counting for an entire practice session

6/8 has two beats and three eighth notes per beat. Count 1&a 2&a, the backbeat is on 2.
  18. Alain Rieder

Zildjian K Custom Dry Complex is meant to be what you're looking for, if you can find one. I do have one. https://jazztimes.com/reviews/products-and-gear/k-custom-dry-complex-ride-cymbals/