Search results

1. Push pull stroke

Merry Christmas

Wonder if this will get deleted too
  2. Push pull stroke

Did Joe Morello ever play a buzz roll?

If he’s ever played one on a recording, I haven’t heard it. And I’ve never seen him do it on video. Buddy used to say he himself had the best buzz roll in the business except for Gladstone, but Morello had unbelievable stick control and touch.
  3. Push pull stroke

Meta Quest 2, anybody else enjoying theirs?

I got mine a couple months ago, my kids play it more than me, but I have been enjoying the port of Resident Evil 4 .
  4. Push pull stroke

Why did the birch Recording Custom bass drums not sound great?

I’ve heard many times that those early bass drums were not good. Steve Gadd used a maple Custom kick with Recording Custom toms as an endorser back in the 80s. Many other people have remarked on the problem here. What caused it, I wonder? Andy, do you have thoughts?
  5. Push pull stroke

I have to admit….

That pad/pillow work is even more important then I thought. I thought you had to practice your rudiments around the kit a LOT to really improve your hands. But I think pad/pillow practice is way more important. Like 90% of your foundational practice should be on a pad/pillow/snare, IMHO. I...
  6. Push pull stroke

This is the perfect ride cymbal for jazz

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChIGeuvoTVh/?igshid=MTUyMWE5Zjg= Yes? No? I think it’s perfect for any low-volume gig, actually
  7. Push pull stroke

Who else has an idiotic sense of humor?

I still call people “Vern” and make fart jokes. No? Just me? 😂
  8. Push pull stroke

You guys make me glad I chose drums…

in 6th-grade band class
  9. Push pull stroke

Jams, the shorts

Did anybody else wear those back in the 80s? I had a couple pair I really liked
  10. Push pull stroke

Is anybody in power in the music industry….

Really OK with the vapid pop tunes that get released? I mean, do they really love that music, or are they just interested in the money it will make? I’m talking about everybody from the songwriters to the CEOs
  11. Push pull stroke

Vintage Slingerland Timpani, awesome?

Does anybody else remember the old Slingy timps sounding way better than the other similar models from other manufacturers? Yes or no?
  12. Push pull stroke

I see some live acts, and my thought is…

…that they have never recorded themselves and listened to the recording.
  13. Push pull stroke

Finally got my timpani playing on camera lol

The best part is from about 3 minutes to about 8 minutes, and the last 5 minutes. The last piece is the Hallelujah Chorus. Yes, those are practice timpani, not my first choice, I was overruled. There wasn’t space in the van for real timpani plus all the other guys and equipment.
  14. Push pull stroke

Minivan for drummers/parents?

I’d like a van with removable 2nd and 3rd row seats, and AWD. Anybody got a van along those lines? Ideally with 2nd row bucket seats, but that’s not a huge deal.
  15. Push pull stroke

Why are bass drums so deep?

A deeper drum makes a longer note. We are constantly muffling our kick drums. Why is anybody making them deeper than 14”? The extra resonance of a deeper drum is just going to get muffled anyway.
  16. Push pull stroke

What do bass players wish more drummers knew?

Well?
  17. Push pull stroke

I was wrong about cast drums with thick heads

So I had heard that a lot of metal drummers like to use cast shell drums with thick heads. I thought this was really dumb—why get a loud drum that’s heavy and hard to carry, then mute it? Well, I was wrong. The actual effect of putting a thicker, dry-sounding head on a cast snare is that your...
  18. Push pull stroke

Has anyone played “Into the Woods”?

I got a gig doing this for the musical theater program at a local college whose music department apparently has no percussion majors. Anything to watch out for? I’ve got about 3 weeks to learn the part
  19. Push pull stroke

Looking for a small mixer

My guitar player’s old powered mixer finally bit the dust. We need one with at least 4 inputs (1/4” or XLR), with a USB port and 1/8” mini for IEM. New or used is fine, any suggestions or ideas? I’m a noob at this side of things
  20. Push pull stroke

Did Buddy play heel-up or heel-down?

I’m pretty sure it was heel-down.