Search results

1. I

I guess I just don't like...

I really want to like bronze snare drums, but I don't.
  2. I

Are Birch Drums the Best for Indoor Acoustics?

Man, I love the smell of drums. I go right to a happy place when I'm changing heads and get to bask in the fragrance.
  3. I

Ludwig 14x5 black beauty or dw 14x5.5 NOB collectors?

Same for me. My DWs hold their tuning better than anything I’ve owned. And I’m definitely a ham fisted player at times.
  4. I

What is your favorite drummer joke?

So many drummers. So little time.
  5. I

Drum Center Portsmouth - black friday

I'd love to try one of the Brooklyn sets w a 26" bass drum
  6. I

Ludwig 14x5 black beauty or dw 14x5.5 NOB collectors?

I saw a youtube comparison video of the BB and DW and when tuned the same, they sounded almost identical. I've owned a couple of BBs over the years and I swear they were inconsistent sounding, but never owned two at once to do a side by side test. One drum sounded full bodied and had that...
  7. I

Deleted

Are Kumu Drums considered boutique? Their stuff intrigues me for sure. Would love to hear/play a set in person.
  8. I

Gretsch Brooklyn Question

Renown gets my vote. You're saving a grand and getting an amazing set that can sound every bit as good as the USA lines.
  9. I

Prices are nuts these days

Now that kinda stuff annoys me a bit. But, the shops electric bill or rent may have increased too.
  10. I

Are Low End Drums a Waste of Time?

I say low end drums are not a waste of time. I started with a low end Royce Percussion set way back when I was 12. I learned a lot with those drums. I learned how to tune them in order to maximize what little decent tone I could get. I learned to deal with hardware that wasn’t great. I...
  11. I

Old Premier APK's sound as good as anything

I had a set of Signias and sold em maybe 20 years ago. Great drums that I wish I didn't have to sell.
  12. I

New drummer - Bought new set with a bent hoop

I'd take them up on exchanging the set...even though it's a pain in the rear to exchange a whole set vs just getting a replacement hoop.
  13. I

Prices are nuts these days

For sure. I ordered a set of drums days before pandemic lockdowns began in the US, so I got in before prices took off. The price on the exact same set, at the same dealer, is significantly higher these days. I'm glad I bought when I did. I have no idea if prices will ever drop to match or...
  14. I

I knew it was gonna be a bad gig when...

I knew it when they told me the gig was at a neighborhood yard sale. My buddies and I were only 13 or so and after being regularly asked to play softly and non offensive, we decided it was a good time to play the overture to 2112. Cops came and we got fired.
  15. I

Ever had your edges recut and you were unhappy with the results?

Good call on not touching them. Sometimes, I think the sound mojo of vintage drums comes from imperfections. I had a set of Super Classics that sounded great...with an old school tribal bark to the sound, but the edges were a bit wonky. Had them re cut and the mojo was gone. I didn't realize...
  16. I

DW sold to Roland?

I used to do some training for a former company in finance. One of the trainees was a 20 year old college intern form whom the plan was to help with with administrative stuff. (filing, documenting and ideally, learning as they worked) The intern left on their fist break and never came back...
  17. I

Renowns...I get it now!

Agreed. The walnut line was a walnut/maple/walnut shell. That finish is the walnut/black fade. Never played a set but they’re supposed to be warmer than the standard renown.
  18. I

Thinking of getting a DW Performance series kit. Any thoughts?

I say play the set for a bit and decide what kind of snare sound you wanna pair with em. Post your thoughts on the dee dubs once you’ve played em!
  19. I

My 2021 Ludwig BB has 4 marks near edge?

I bought an “A” stock pewter copperphonic online from CME. I inspected it as soon as it arrived and counted at least a dozen plating issues on the interior (a couple of them looked like serious issues that would result in finish degradation). I returned it with no problem and they sent a...
  20. I

Thinking of getting a DW Performance series kit. Any thoughts?

I have a Performance series set w a 22” bass drum. They sound great, easy to tune and hold their tuning. Fit and finish are as good as it gets. They sound best at low to medium tuning, but don’t resonate well at higher tunings though. They don’t have any particular mojo in terms of sound...