Search results

1. I

Can anybody find me...some drums to love?

One of the things I enjoy most about this site, is logging in to see new drum posts. Not that I want or need new drums....I like seeing and reading excited posts from drummers who've landed something new (or new to them). Lately, there's a dearth of new drum posts and I get why...inflation...
  2. I

What drum series have you found most hit the mark as advertised?

Circa 1993, I was working in a drum dept at an independent music shop. We had a 6 piece Sheer Blue lacquer BLX set that sat unsold for months...the shop owner wanted to move it, but no one was interested (I have no idea why...those drums were gorgeous). I loved the look, but the store...
  3. I

A change did me good

For the last few months I’ve been playing on a 7pc configuration…having fun with prog rock fills and all the opportunities for different sounds. I’ve been running Evans heads for a few years now...primarily UV2 and UV1s. This weekend, I switched it up to a 4pc…1 up, 1 down and put on some...
  4. I

Bought a new Ludwig snare and now have regret

Regret that I didn’t get one of these sooner! Just spent the afternoon playing my 6.5”Pewter plated Copperphonic and I love it! It has that Supraphonic barking tone, but warmer than the aluminum and Black Beauty while not as dry as the bronze. It’s like this drum borrowed a little from all the...
  5. I

Bought a 6.5” Pewter Copperphonic

I’ve wanted one for months, but couldn’t justify spending the money on a snare I don’t need. I found one on sale today and bit the bullet. Should arrive next week or the week after if shipping is slow. It’s been a while since I’ve had a 6.5” Ludwig and I’m really looking forward to this one!
  6. I

Cleaning a pitted Ludwig Bronze snare

I’m thinking of buying a 80’s Ludwig Hammered Bronze snare thats local to me. It sounds amazing, but has a fair amount of pitting on the shell. Given these shells have a clear coat, what recommendations do you have for cleaning up the pitting? Would cleaning it with something like Brasso and...
  7. I

Bo Swanger Snare

I've been on the lookout for a copper snare drum for maybe a couple of years and finally pulled the trigger on this one from Bo Swanger who is in the Seattle, WA area. This thing sounds and feels fantastic. To my ears, its like the drum child of a Copperphonic and DW's copper snare. It has...
  8. I

Will a very small port in a bass drum reso help w batter head flutter?

I like to alternate between playing off the bass drum head and burying the beater. I love the sound of a non ported reso head, but I get flutter on the batter head when burying the beater. My understanding is that it’s due to the air inside the drum coming back against the reso head. If I...
  9. I

Noble and Cooley SS snare w no re rings

I received this drum today. It’s a older maple SS snare with no re rings. I didn’t know N&C made any without rings. It’s in amazing condition...just needs a little cleaning and probably some lube for the lugs. Anyone know of or have experience with these? I haven’t played it yet, hitting it...
  10. I

What’s in the Noble and Cooley box?!

It’s an 80’s Noble and Cooley SS maple snare drum from Bob Gatzen’s personal collection. Bob is having some health issues and, with help from Joe Montineri, is parting out his drum collection to help with medical expenses. Here’s a link to the listings on Joe’s site for anyone interested...
  11. I

Is there something going on w Modern Drummer? Subscription Issues

After taking years off from being an MD subscriber, I subscribed to print and online edition in August. I have yet to receive a print copy without following up w MD monthly. Even after following up, MD only sent me the Nov and Dec issues in one envelope to make up for not receiving anything...
  12. I

Neil Peart’s Slingerland Set Up For Auction

https://www.musicradar.com/news/neil-pearts-first-era-rush-drum-kit-is-up-for-auction-with-a-guide-price-starting-at-dollar80000?utm_content=buffer104c7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer-musicradarfb I think these were given a way by Neil and Modern Drummer via a contest...
  13. I

Anyone own a Ludwig Pewter plated Copperphonic?

I reall like what I’ve seen and heard on YouTube. Anyone own one? Anyone compared to the regular copperphonic in person?
  14. I

DW Performance Series Review

I recently purchased a set of DW Performance Series drums in Black Mirra Lacquer finish and thought I'd share my thoughts. Sizes are 10", 12", 14", 16" and 22". I have an 8" tom on order as well. Fit and finish - The finish is flawless. Black Mirra is a subtle black sparkle with iridescent...
  15. I

George Way Aristocrat Maple/Poplar

Has anyone here played or does anyone own a GW Aristocrat with maple/poplar shells? If so, what are your thoughts? I owned a Ludwig super classic set with maple/poplar shells and I’ve played Gretsch Brooklyn’s which have maple/poplar shells and loved em both. Yeah, I know there are other...
  16. I

Annoyed by how people treat gear at music stores.

I stopped by a local GC to poke around in the drum room and was annoyed by what I saw. A nice DW collectors snare had a broken strainer...it looks like someone intentionally busted the lever. Second, a Tama snare I tapped on was dead sounding so I flipped it over to find drumstick holes poked...
  17. I

Some Gretsch Glitter

I bought a set of refurbished stop sign badge drums from Steve Maxwells. Drop G toms and SSB kick in Green glass glitter! They look and sound amazing.
  18. I

New Drum Day

Tomorrow, that is. Bought a Gretsch stop sign badge set from Steve Maxwell’s NYC shop.
  19. I

Ever have a fear of selling your drums?

I’ve been eying a beautiful set of drums, but in order to buy them I’d have to sell my existing set. (For space and economics). However I dread the prospect of selling my drums. Not so much letting them go, but the hassle that goes with selling gear. By hassle, I mean tire kicking, no shows...
  20. I

DW Cherry/Mahogany

I've been on the lookout for a snare that's warmer than snares I've previously gravitated toward. Wood shelled DW snares haven't done much for me in terms of sound...the ones I've played and heard have a boxy sound to me. However, I came across a Cherry/Mahogany 6.5X14 this weekend and I really...