Downsizing in changing times

God bless you guys who take public transportation or taxis/Ubers to your gigs with your drums.

I'm totally backwards. I bought my first house, my current house, and my cars to fit my drums. I've payed a crap-ton of money to do so, but it's been worth it to me.

Keep fighting the good fight!

Post-pandemic I've been playing a lot more jazz and a lot more gigs in weird locations where load ins are ridiculous and stage space is at a premium (or is just the floor of an art gallery or whatever).

For the most part I still gig a four piece kit with 3-4 cymbals for basically everything but I've never been more tempted to have Indē make me a 12/14/16 Wafarer or similar.

I would love to see some pics of the full kit set up. Did you end up going with one of those gretsch nesting kits from your other thread?
Yep it's a Catalina Club Street MkI. It looks nice and shiny in silver glitter if a bit toy-like. I would get a pic but have no macro lense on my phone

I'll be playing out tomorrow so will get a sense of how it sounds behind a band. Its a sedate gig so could do with a noisy event to stretch it

God bless you guys who take public transportation or taxis/Ubers to your gigs with your drums.

I'm totally backwards. I bought my first house, my current house, and my cars to fit my drums. I've payed a crap-ton of money to do so, but it's been worth it to me.

Real estate is a little cheaper in your part of western NC lol. Especially prior to like 2020 or so, when did you buy your house?

I would love to see some pics of the full kit set up.
I set up today and took some wide angle pics
PXL_20240301_105816859.jpg
Drivers seat
The toms tuned up well. Distinct difference between rack and floor in a good way. The snare is going to take a bit of getting to know and needed a gel. I'll be using seating from venues to keep the size and weight down
PXL_20240301_105849183.jpg
Birds eye
I'll be using an 18" ride as it fits in the cases (18x18x16). The cases were an extra. The footprint with throne is 4'6” x 4’6"
PXL_20240301_110046785.jpg
FOH
The bass drum sounded good in a tiny room. Quite tom-like which suits me. The spurs do need retracting to pack away. The tom tree was all the way in and has plenty spare to go higher.The floor tom legs are short. At full extension, the top head was 27" high
PXL_20240301_110217778.jpg
Drivers seat bass drum
It's nice and easy to set up with the bass drum splitting easily to get to the rack tom and reassembling with not trouble. The join can be seen with a bit of lipping between the 2 halves. The finish is nice and shiny

I think it should do for now. I'll be borrowing kits for recording and bigger gigs

I imagine I’ll downsize if I ever start gigging on the regular, but I’m not so I don’t worry about it much. I just don’t care all that much for small drums. They’re fine when others use them, but I’m not really wanting to play with a tiny bass drum.

I set up today and took some wide angle pics
View attachment 144045
Drivers seat
The toms tuned up well. Distinct difference between rack and floor in a good way. The snare is going to take a bit of getting to know and needed a gel. I'll be using seating from venues to keep the size and weight down
View attachment 144046
Birds eye
I'll be using an 18" ride as it fits in the cases (18x18x16). The cases were an extra. The footprint with throne is 4'6” x 4’6"
View attachment 144047
FOH
The bass drum sounded good in a tiny room. Quite tom-like which suits me. The spurs do need retracting to pack away. The tom tree was all the way in and has plenty spare to go higher.The floor tom legs are short. At full extension, the top head was 27" high
View attachment 144048
Drivers seat bass drum
It's nice and easy to set up with the bass drum splitting easily to get to the rack tom and reassembling with not trouble. The join can be seen with a bit of lipping between the 2 halves. The finish is nice and shiny

I think it should do for now. I'll be borrowing kits for recording and bigger gigs
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Just played a 3 hour gig with the kit. That was a nice surprise. Maybe its just a new toys thing but I really enjoyed playing the kit.

The bass drum worked well for upright bass, guitar and trumpet at low volume. The lack of bloom helped with definition and. I could punch out features in the bass figures without overwhelming them. There was something about the quick attack and shorter note that really worked

The snare needs a bit of attention. There's some unevenness to the sound that needs ironing out. What surprised me was the reduced real estate did not make brushwork any harder. The x-stick window was a lot narrower but sounded good when hit right. The tighter straddle was also a bonus for improved ergonomics and smaller footprint

Setup and teardown was quicker and easier as the drums are lighter and less cumbersome. I was parked 100 metres from the exit. I walked with the whole kit in one

same...and if I took public transpo and walked to 98% of my gigs, I would be dead, and without drums, maybe not in that order....

sometimes, just clearing the 10 feet to get from truck to stage door is an "interesting experience"

I been up and down and over and round and I know one thing.
I've tried the 16" bass thing even the 18" bass
gotta work too hard
or not low enough
So 20/12/14 or 20/12/16
just like 1974
Now the age of the the car is waning
and that too will remain till I'm outta here
around 2046

I was expecting to see the drums on an E-Bike.

I’m not really wanting to play with a tiny bass drum.
I've tried the 16" bass thing even the 18" bass
gotta work too hard
or not low enough
I do agree with both these statements. I miss the sound of a 22. The way you can feel the noise. I have given up the notion of having a dream kit, it's just about what gets me playing out now. Il just have to look forward to playing and enjoying other people's kits

I also love driving. I can see a big reduction in car use coming so have decided to embrace this and hopefully not let it reduce my playing

I have been pleasantly surprised by the little kit and am enjoying the convenience and new sounds

I love my 24 in kick with 10/13/16 toms but my practice kit is my lil Safari 16/14/10 because it doesn’t carry over my neighborhood as loud. But my 16x15 Pearl Rhyhm POD kick projects and reached as deep a tone as my 24 in kick- I measured it. Freaks me out. The little concert toms suck on kit but that kick is a cannon. It really is a tom because it has tom rims and takes tom heads.

This thread reminded me of the old Tama metro jam kit, I totally forgot about that thing. I'm pretty sure that was Tama's first dip into the world of "micro kits"

Sounds like you no longer have it. Why did you move on?

Back