old Yamaha pedal bearings

opentune

Platinum Member
I am a sucker for rescuing old used items. I have revived a lot of old pedals, but got this old Yamaha pedal the other day and it is possibly the stiffest most non-functional beast ever. It has nearly no swing/rebound after you press down on the footboard. I took it apart and am guessing these bearings are old and shot. Can these packed bearings come in standarrd sizes and be easily purchased from machinist stores or suppliers? Anybody know of good sources to replace these?
The other puzzle is this pedal has two springs, but is not a double pedal. I do not even know if these are the corrrect springs. Could that also seize its action?
Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• tempImageoR8aLx.png
    tempImageoR8aLx.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • tempImageqTcFzf.png
    tempImageqTcFzf.png
    4 MB · Views: 12
  • tempImageziY7IS.png
    tempImageziY7IS.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
Hey.... I have a couple of Yamaha FP-710's. (See Pic) maybe yours is like mine.
Wanted to fix em' just like you.
Most folks said the bearings were skateboard bearings.
Went to the skateboard shop with my old bearing to get new.
WELL.......they were not the same specs/size as skates.
BUT..went to Grainger here in TX . They measured it for me and hooked me up with ordering it from their wharehouse online.
They are these- 7mm Bore, 19 mm OD, 6mm Wide
TRITAN
Qty4-Web Price$3.71 / eachTotal $14.84
Miniature Ball Bearing: 607, Dbl Sealed, ContactSeal, 7 mm Bore, 19 mm OD, 6 mm WdItem # 49DD44
AND..they fit....tight and nice and really stopped some clicks.....that we really dislike.
***ALERT**** THIS IS THE SPEC for SKATEBOARD BEARINGS*****8mm (core), 22mm (outer diameter), and 7mm (width).
I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Yamaha FP-710 BD Pedal 2 copy.JPG
    Yamaha FP-710 BD Pedal 2 copy.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Excellent info! As I had posted above, I wondered if they used the ubiquitous 608s way back then. I see it was the 607s. I will edit my post to avoid any confusion or misinformation.
Thanks!
My pedals were clicky and squeaky. Along with bearings and cleaning, I installed a new footplate connecting rod with plastic bushings and nuts. Added a bottom plate like DW. Removed upper rods and anything else not needed. Cut stuff off too. They both work well now.
Pretty quiet for 48 year old pedals. The pedal in pic is dedicated to this e bass drum. Tapped and bolted from the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_5026.jpg
    IMG_5026.jpg
    753.1 KB · Views: 5
Nice call Lowes/HomeDepot expert. I also used a mast part. some pipes. some rod. some plastic sleeves and some skittles.

Attachments

• IMG_4976.jpg
    IMG_4976.jpg
    831.5 KB · Views: 7
Sir!!....I do not officially "know" Larry. But he "does" have some good stuff in his dreams/nightmares.
He is a very good "source." Thanks Larry.

Hey.... I have a couple of Yamaha FP-710's. (See Pic) maybe yours is like mine.
Wanted to fix em' just like you.
Most folks said the bearings were skateboard bearings.
Went to the skateboard shop with my old bearing to get new.
WELL.......they were not the same specs/size as skates.
BUT..went to Grainger here in TX . They measured it for me and hooked me up with ordering it from their wharehouse online.
They are these- 7mm Bore, 19 mm OD, 6mm Wide
TRITAN
Qty4-Web Price$3.71 / eachTotal $14.84
Miniature Ball Bearing: 607, Dbl Sealed, ContactSeal, 7 mm Bore, 19 mm OD, 6 mm WdItem # 49DD44
AND..they fit....tight and nice and really stopped some clicks.....that we really dislike.
***ALERT**** THIS IS THE SPEC for SKATEBOARD BEARINGS*****8mm (core), 22mm (outer diameter), and 7mm (width).
I hope this helps.
Yes those are the sizes, 19 mm OD. Will order some thank you very much.

Back