A line in the sand.

Andy

Honorary Member
Just an update from Andy world.

As some of you old timers will know, I’ve had a few health shocks over the years. 2002 - spinal tumour, 2006 heart electrics failed, 2018 brain stem stroke, so I’m conditioned to putting 1 finger up at challenges & riding the benefits of a positive attitude. Late last year, after contracting an especially inconvenient chest infection whilst travelling the US, that transitioned to pneumonia with complications that pneumonia alone could not explain, & investigations / scans commenced.

Initially, they tested for the dreaded “C” word, thankfully, that was clear, but they found a number of significant issues, including emphysema. Bottom line, the cumulative issues are life limiting. After numerous tests, I’ve had the life expectancy talk, & it’s not great. My apparent stellar natural lung capacity has bought me functional time until this point, but I’ve now cashed in my chips, & the ride begins.

Ok, sympathy is definitely not what I’m after here. Life throws stuff at you, & there’s many who’ve dealt with far worse than me. Certainly, some of my latest challenge is self inflicted, but life's a crap shoot.

So what’s changing? I’m giving my current band until the end of this year & see what happens. That doesn’t mean I’m calling time on a modestly successful act, although I might. There’s challenges in the band, nothing too severe, but I’m kind of done with being the hardest working member by some margin. I had hoped this group of players would transition to my first love - original music, but that’s never going to happen with collective commitments. Even arranging show rehearsals is a trial.

Upshot, I think a change of personal emphasis is in the wind. I know enough good players to bring some original material to a presentable reality. That will take a while. I think I’ve got a while. How long, I’m not sure, but as ever, I’m super positive. I’m not going silly & trying to condense as much stuff into a timeline indicated by medics, that’s just hastening demise, but I do need to make the next phase about me more than others.

Until I make changes, I’m determined to enjoy this show season. Some great gigs lined up, & no, you can’t have my Guru’s :ROFLMAO:

Andy.

Wow Andy - I didn't think you'd ever slow down. You've done so well with what life has dealt you so far. But I totally understand your position as I start to grapple with my own mortality. Everybody will eventually have to deal with it, and you're an inspiration on how to deal with it.

So if you want me to start subbing in Fired Up for you, just give me a few weeks notice so I can arrange flights and move into your guest room ;)

Wow Andy I’m at a loss for words. I love your attitude. I know you know this and doing so, but I suggest loving up on all your family. It’s some of the best medicine. You are in my thoughts and 🙏 my friend.

Andy,

As a guy who has never suffered a significant illness or injury in my life, I have profound respect for the many of you who have. I look around at some of the things others have to deal with and wonder if I could even hang in a similar fashion. You Sir, have my deepest respect.

Christ Andy, really sorry to read this.

Life can be cruel but you’ve also achieved success with family, work, musical endeavours..etc so I’m sure managing your time and prioritising your musical choices/desires will be no different.

No matter what happens at the end of the year with the band it sounds like that it’s overdue for the rest of the band to step up, to take some weight off your shoulders.

Let’s have that catch up drink soon.

healing vibes definitely coming your way!!!

I had a cancer scare about 2 months ago, and it came back benign, but that whole time also gave me a minute to think about the coming of the end, and it possibly being sooner than I want. I think the only way to prepare is to do it like you....just keep going and not let it stop you.

Appreciate all that you have, and all that you have done.

Revel in those around you and what they give to you.

Be Well!!!

Your positive attitude towards everything should serve as example to us all . I’ve had a few close calls the last decade so I’ve been doing like you …… Take it as it comes and keep moving forward . Sending positive thoughts your way good Sir .

Back