Cast Snare: Bronze, Copper or Brass.

Quai34

Hi Guys

I'm getting really close to what I'm trying to achieve with my collection of Snares and as I have physically room for only 3 more snares, I recall what you said several times about bronze and Copper which was to try to get a cast one.

I have a Cast Aluminum with the AVA 5-3-5 mm snare and I'm super happy with it and sure, different sounding than the Dunnett 2N Aluminium that I have as my second Aluminium snare.

I have one Bronze only, the INDé Kalamazoo bronze 6.5 and thus, I seems logical to have as well a bell bronze, so, a cast bronze.

But, despite the fact that a lot of Bell Brass snare were in fact Bronze snare (If my understanding it right), there is as well real bell brass, I mean, real Cast Brass. There is as well cast Copper.

AVA for example has both and they both seem to be very appealing.

I have 2 Brass, Benny Greb and Yamaha RC Brass plus one INDé Bronze and one Mapex Copper.

If it was you that has to get a cast snare, what metal would you choose between the Brass, Bonze and Copper and why?

Cast steel is nice. it's a little more, "round" up in the mids. and every bit as penetrating as the other cast shells. I have the Pearl reference 14x6.5 and recommend it whole heartedly. I also have a VK, Tama bell bronze and Gretsch phosphor bronze..... Gretsch wins every time.

Hi Guys

I'm getting really close to what I'm trying to achieve with my collection of Snares and as I have physically room for only 3 more snares, I recall what you said several times about bronze and Copper which was to try to get a cast one.

I have a Cast Aluminum with the AVA 5-3-5 mm snare and I'm super happy with it and sure, different sounding than the Dunnett 2N Aluminium that I have as my second Aluminium snare.

I have one Bronze only, the INDé Kalamazoo bronze 6.5 and thus, I seems logical to have as well a bell bronze, so, a cast bronze.

But, despite the fact that a lot of Bell Brass snare were in fact Bronze snare (If my understanding it right), there is as well real bell brass, I mean, real Cast Brass. There is as well cast Copper.

AVA for example has both and they both seem to be very appealing.

I have 2 Brass, Benny Greb and Yamaha RC Brass plus one INDé Bronze and one Mapex Copper.

If it was you that has to get a cast snare, what metal would you choose between the Brass, Bonze and Copper and why?
Just for clarity 'real' bell brass is actually cast bronze, the name is just a marketing gimmick introduced by Tama for some reason lost in the mists of time. 'Bell Brass' as a specific alloy of brass doesn't exist. 'Bell bronze' or bell metal does exist as a specific alloy and it won't surprise you to learn that its main use is for making church and some other large bells. It has a notably high tin content, 22%Sn and to add even more confusion is rarely used to make cast drums, most have less tin (Oriollo use Sn 14 bronze, for instance). This making up of the name 'Bell Brass' by Tama has caused much confusion over the years.

Out of choice I'd probably go for a cast copper, as there's a warmth to copper as a drum material that isn't quite as present in brass. I always get the impression that a cast pure brass drum could be quite shrill, though quite happy to accept being wrong on this.

you want to go Cast Bronze and Brass talk to Vukan, if you want cast Copper talk to Cade Capp of Savage or HHG dude or Guven.

I’d definitely go for brass or bronze as a contrast to aluminum. Copper is kind of dark like aluminum, but more resonant. Remember, though, that the thicker the shell, the less difference there is in sound between shell materials.

Back