Choosing a brass snare drum

Merlin5

Gold Member
Hi guys. I've been intending to buy the Tama Starphonic brass snare. But I'm also interested in the Yamaha 14 x 6.5 brass snare. Can't really decide. I do like the hardware and look of the Starphonic and the almost die-cast hoop. On the other hand, I have a feeling the Yamaha will probably sound a bit nicer. I can buy either for a similar price. Any thoughts?

I have a Starphonic Aluminum and Starphonic Spotted Gum. They are very versatile ’cuz Tama die cast and brass mighty hoops can be used on them (and probably their steel hoops, but I’ve only used the aforementioned hoops). When removed from the drum and tapped with a stick, the Starphonic hoops are almost as dead as die cast. I’m currently using a brass mighty hoop on the batter side of my spotted Gum snare and it’s a nice change up.

The design of the reso-side hoop is ingenious when combined with the MLS50B butt (‘cuz it removes very easily without affected snappy tension). Simply detach the butt and swing it out of the way to tune (or replace) the reso head.

The MLS50A “linear strainer” never slips and is a vast improvement over their MUS80A “upright” strainer. Both strainer & butt have notched tension knobs, too.

I had a Starclassic brass snare drum and was considering selling it and buying the Starphonic brass but when compared side-by-side, I and a few others in the shop couldn’t tell a difference in sound. Tone, punch and harmonics were all very similar.

I don’t know about the Yamaha snare, but the Starphonic is not a seamless shell. If Tama doesn’t explicitly state “seamless” in their description, it isn’t.

A limited edition Starphonic Brass was issued years ago with a unique finish. There might be one on your side of the pond. ⬇️

IMG_0687.jpeg

I have a Starphonic Aluminum and Starphonic Spotted Gum. They are very versatile ’cuz Tama die cast and brass mighty hoops can be used on them (and probably their steel hoops, but I’ve only used the aforementioned hoops). When removed from the drum and tapped with a stick, the Starphonic hoops are almost as dead as die cast. I’m currently using a brass mighty hoop on the batter side of my spotted Gum snare and it’s a nice change up.

The design of the reso-side hoop is ingenious when combined with the MLS50B butt (‘cuz it removes very easily without affected snappy tension). Simply detach the butt and swing it out of the way to tune (or replace) the reso head.

The MLS50A “linear strainer” never slips and is a vast improvement over their MUS80A “upright” strainer. Both strainer & butt have notched tension knobs, too.

I had a Starclassic brass snare drum and was considering selling it and buying the Starphonic brass but when compared side-by-side, I and a few others in the shop couldn’t tell a difference in sound. Tone, punch and harmonics were all very similar.

I don’t know about the Yamaha snare, but the Starphonic is not a seamless shell. If Tama doesn’t explicitly state “seamless” in their description, it isn’t.

A limited edition Starphonic Brass was issued years ago with a unique finish. There might be one on your side of the pond. ⬇️

View attachment 133804
Thanks cbphoto. I must say, that limited edition looks very nice and after googling I saw a very golden looking one as well. But they're not available over here in the UK that I can see.

Here's the thing though. Having watched all the videos I could find of the Starphonic and the Yamaha, I must admit I'm feeling very drawn to the sound of the Yamaha. It sounds 'airy' to me, rather like a brass version of my Ludwig 400 aluminium which I also think of as having an airy sound. I guess I'm more attracted to the sound a drum has with triple flanged hoops. The hoops on the Starphonic make it sound drier and less airy if that makes sense.

However, I still want a Starphonic but I think mostly for aesthetic reasons. I just love the way the hardware looks on it, the Tama logo badge is cool and playing die cast type hoops is always fun if not my exact preferred sound. I have a silver series Gretsch wood snare with die cast hoops which hardly gets played but I did enjoy using it a few nights ago.

I think I might buy the Yamaha but also buy a Starphonic aluminium or maybe even their Copper one. Or maybe I'll change my mind and end up with the Starphonic brass, lol. I'll update the thread after buying one or the other.

My feedback probably won't be of much help. I don't have experience with either drum but... I've never been disappointed with either Yamaha or Tama in similarly-priced drums or hardware. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

My personal brass snares are both Pearl senistones and I'm very happy with them. One is a 5x14 black nickle plated and the other is a 5.5x14 "normal" brass shell. Both are excellent. My favorite is the 5x14 since it has a thicker shell and stunning appearance.

The hoops on the Starphonic make it sound drier and less airy if that makes sense.
True. And it’s why I installed a brass mighty hoop on the batter side of my Starphonic Spotted Gum. There‘s more resonance and upper harmonics.

Good luck with your choice!

I’ll muddy the waters here a bit. My favorite brass snare drum is the Joyful Noise TKO hands down. I purchased it used. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

For what it’s worth.

Hi guys. I've been intending to buy the Tama Starphonic brass snare. But I'm also interested in the Yamaha 14 x 6.5 brass snare.
what is the rest of your drum set just curious..
"there's (brand) personality issues involved too" ; )
(hoop)

"one tree alone does not constitute a forest"
--------Gene Confucius 1847

I am unashamedly biased to the Yamaha. The RC 14x6.5 brass has been my workhorse snare for the last 3 years.

Good news... you can't go wrong here. All of the snares mentioned in this post will put a smile on your face everytime you hit them.

Yamaha makes some great sounding drums. I had this model years ago & it was very good.

View attachment 133829

Nice. I actually have a 1980s Yamaha SD493 which is the brass piccolo version of yours. Thing is, my friend borrowed it and I haven't played it in ages. Hoping to get it back soon!

what is the rest of your drum set just curious..
"there's (brand) personality issues involved too" ; )
(hoop)

"one tree alone does not constitute a forest"
--------Gene Confucius 1847
The rest of my kit is a 1990s Yamaha 9000 recording custom Birch, cherrywood finish. Very warm sounding. 8, 10, 12, 15, 20. Awesome kit. My go to snare is the Ludwig 400 aluminium.

IIt seems like you've got your mind set on either Tama or Yamaha brass snare. However, have you considered a Ludwig Black Beauty or Supraphonic COB?
I have yeah, though I don't want to spend £800+ for a BB! :D Supra COB not so much, I want something completely different since I already play a Supra COA plus I just fancy a deeper shell, 6 to 6.5.. I honestly think the Starphonic or Yamaha would be plenty nice for me and are about half the price of a BB.

For the money this worldmax black hawg NOB is one hell of a work horse.

One day a Black Beauty will be mine!

Attachments

• PXL_20230414_225821194.jpg
    PXL_20230414_225821194.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 8
Brass is a nice choice-it's well balanced but a definite high note and clean crispness. Not as loud as steel but the higher note makes it cut and project well. I like brass snare wires-they also have a clean crispness. Good luck on choice.

Yamaha. Seamless is always worth the money and those new rc snares are incredible.
Or get a used black beauty.

Nice. I actually have a 1980s Yamaha SD493 which is the brass piccolo version of yours. Thing is, my friend borrowed it and I haven't played it in ages. Hoping to get it back soon!

The rest of my kit is a 1990s Yamaha 9000 recording custom Birch, cherrywood finish. Very warm sounding. 8, 10, 12, 15, 20. Awesome kit. My go to snare is the Ludwig 400 aluminium.

I have yeah, though I don't want to spend £800+ for a BB! :D Supra COB not so much, I want something completely different since I already play a Supra COA plus I just fancy a deeper shell, 6 to 6.5.. I honestly think the Starphonic or Yamaha would be plenty nice for me and are about half the price of a BB.
I'm saving money now for a used black beauty 6.5X14 I've been seeing new B stock black beauties with only a cosmetic blemish on the inside of the shell going for as low as six hundred.

Back