Where do you stand on giving advice?

Depends on your relationship with the person you are observing.(not explicitly detailed in the OP)

Entering into a coaching collective can be very wise...where a group(or, even just 2) agree they will offer the best of their neutral analysis.

Select coaching partners you trust and respect.

Never offer advice. Our culture is to abusive for the receiver to trust a random persons words and intent.

The older I get, the more my spirit has become released in knowing that, just because I may possess knowledge or wisdom in a situation, it doesn't make me automatically obligated to share it.

It gives the other guy grace, but it's also quite liberating for me as well.

These days, I tend not to bother, as you are invariably met with a chorus of 'leave them alone!' or 'what do you know!' or 'nobody asked you!'
^^ This ^^

Most of the time I see basically great drummers absolutely whacking their cymbals, like demolishing them. And it's out pf proportion to the way they hit the drums. I want to tell them to lay off the cymbals, but know I'll be attacked for raining on their parade, so I don't comment.

I have a drummer friend who was injured, I think it was a sports injury but he was commenting that it was painful to play the drums, and I'd always noticed how deliberately stiff he kept his wrists and arms. I showed him the Bill Bachman free stroke video and tried to comment that he looked stiff enough that it might be causing pain/preventing him from continuing.. I don't think he liked it, I'm not really sure, he ended up quitting drums for the time being.

Far too many participation trophy players in their bedrooms on youtube and white knights defending the former to bother.

If someone asks that's different, however even then there's nothing more infuriating when you've given someone good advice on something it could have taken you years to learn and they just do their own thing anyways.

As for receiving advice I treat drumming like I treated getting into weightlifting. You'll learn so much from wise old heads that have trodden the path before you. Be respectful and show willing to improve and you'll earn the respect of said wise old heads and that's the key to a wealth of knowledge. Act like you know it all and you'll be left to your devices.

I used to give my opinion quite often. Then I wised up and speak much less. Peace and goodwill.

At an open mic jam I attended, Drummer X was playing. Drummer Y I guess didn't like what Drummer X was playing so he went up onstage as everyone was in the middle of a song. Then he started whispering in Drummer X's ear, presumeably giving advice on how to play that song the "right" way. It got to the point where Drummer Y replaced Drummer X mid song. Ever see that? That always cracks me up, a drummer replacing another drummer mid song. That's taking advice to the extreme.

At an open mic jam I attended, Drummer X was playing. Drummer Y I guess didn't like what Drummer X was playing so he went up onstage as everyone was in the middle of a song. Then he started whispering in Drummer X's ear, presumeably giving advice on how to play that song the "right" way. It got to the point where Drummer Y replaced Drummer X mid song. Ever see that? That always cracks me up, a drummer replacing another drummer mid song. That's taking advice to the extreme.

why am I not surprised that happened at an open mic night.....

every open mic thing I have ever been to has been a room full of people (who should not be) showering advice all over the room

Drummer Y I guess didn't like what Drummer X was playing so he went up onstage as everyone was in the middle of a song. Then he started whispering in Drummer X's ear
That’s every kind of wrong right there - what an ego!

As for my experiences, I can’t remember the last time another player asked me for playing advice outside of this forum. I am occasionally asked something like “what’s the mix like”, & I’m happy to respond to that.

I've never encountered that at the Open Mics I go to in the UK.

yeah...it is rough over here in really small markets, like where I live. You get an enclave of guys who think they are Muddy Waters or SRV, and then they don't let go. As with everythign else, it is not all jerky, but usually is. The guys who are not jerks tend to get into actual projects and play legit shows

I am the 3 feet guy........could not help it.
But For Real......Most times I have given comments or advise to a fellow player on the gig......
It ruined the gig and backfired and in one case, a friend bass player was not my friend anymore......gone!
It takes GREAT DIPLOMACY and CHOPS (not rudiments) to pull that off.
PRACTISED People skills........that I was most certainly lacking.
So......IF YOU ARE GOING TO COMMIT, go in with a well planned strategy and a SCRIPT.....or just let them figure it out on their own
and DON'T say NOTHIN'.....keep the freindship.
Sometimes not teaching....is hard for us Learning all the time guys.
OPTION-Just be Quiet....ok.

yeah...it is rough over here in really small markets, like where I live. You get an enclave of guys who think they are Muddy Waters or SRV, and then they don't let go. As with everythign else, it is not all jerky, but usually is. The guys who are not jerks tend to get into actual projects and play legit shows
Actually, I do remember some ego at jam sessions.
Open mics tend to be '3 songs and off' so limiting scope for Diva Beavers.

Back